• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: Piano Concerto No 2 - Ernst von Dohnányi

BBC Philharmonic conducted by Matthias Bamert; Howard Shelley (Piano) on Chandos

I caught a bit of this on the radio a few days ago. Dohnányi is one of these "belated Romantics", like Rudorff or Korngold. They were regarded unoriginal in their days but have seen renewed interest in recent years. Dohnányi is clearly indepted to Bruckner but has much to offer on his own. Parts of this concerto sound very "film-scorish".
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2015
    https://sdtom.wordpress.com/2015/02/06/ … orchestra/
    A new review
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2015
  2. NP: Montage: Great Film Composers and the Piano (2015)
    Gloria Cheng (Piano)

What a wonderful intimate album. I adds a whole new dimension to our beloved composer heroes.

Volker
  3. NP: Tubular Beats (2013) - Mike Oldfield; Torsten "York" Stenzel

I saw this on the rummage table and bought it despite the fact that I as a rule don't like remixes of classic material. This one is different. The music got a fresh cell therapy and was rejuvenated.

I catched a bad nose-oozing and cough-attack cold and called in sick yesterday morning. The only good thing about it is that you can listen to lots of music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2015
    At first I read Tubular Beasts... I have to remember this image for when I don't know what to draw. I like to collect fun stuff like this to illustrate.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    My image of tubular beasts may differ to yours somewhat.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2015 edited
    NP: TRUST IN TRANCE 2 (Astral Projection)

A bit hit and miss (some of the tracks venture a bit close to cocaine-sniffing bodybuilders), but these are the pioneers of psytrance, no doubt -- one of my favourite EDM genres.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

yeah ( or at least I do now after seeing this )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

some of the tracks venture a bit close to cocaine-sniffing bodybuilders

What does a track sound like to conjure this image?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. NP: Awesome Mix Vol. 1 (2014)
    Songs from GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY

This is actually a pretty cool compilation. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2015 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

some of the tracks venture a bit close to cocaine-sniffing bodybuilders

What does a track sound like to conjure this image?

It's no secret that Astral Projection is a known favourite for that particular crowd, so I immediately get those associations. I usually prefer it when psytrance goes darker, into 'goa'.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Somehow that passed me by. Never heard of that before.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2015
    Timmer wrote
    Somehow that passed me by?

Really? You've never been to or witnessed the crowd at a rave?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Somehow that passed me by?

Really? You've never been to or witnessed the crowd at a rave?

Yes I have. And I've seen plenty of coked-up idiots but not the bodybuilders you mention....or do you mean those guys who just pump up their arms and pecs and neglect the rest just to have a "cosmetic" look in a tight T-shirt/vest?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Those too.

Maybe the "culture" is different in the UK than in Norway, but it wasn't that many years ago that I was dragged to a party with a bunch of 'balloon bodybuilders' -- redfaced, stupid, wearing tight white t-shirts, sniffing cocaine, taking XTC and -- obviously -- listening to Astral Projection. Took me back to the 90s, for sure.

In any case, that's a part of the EDM scene I've never been able to identify with. I was in it for the music alone, and am a bit embarassed that such a crowd gravitated towards it. Maybe it's a side effect of all the steroids they're taking, I don't know. I've never been able to understand the whole steroid/protein/bodybuilding culture in the first place (no offense, Timmer, I know you've been into it somewhat).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    No offence taken. I never touched any of that shit and knew plenty that did. In professional bodybuilding and wrestling the abuse is endemic and the amount of deaths of big names in these fields, among these "athletes" would cause a huge scandal if experienced in more popular and seriously taken sports.

I think you're probably right about the rave scene you mention, perhaps a Nordic scene rather than UK.
  5. NP Chronology (1993) - Jean Michel Jarre

An all out dance an pop album, fun from start to finish.

I saw the 2015 remastered CD offered for 5€ and bought it just for the fun of it. I just compared it with the 1997 master. I am not an audiophile so my equipment is simple.
    Well, the new master is much louder. Why has a new master always to be louder than the previous one? Because people go increasingly deaf? Because that is what every idiot will notice immediately?
    With regard to the loudness range the 1997 master (apparently) was more nuanced. Sublte details get a tiny bit blurred by comparison. (The e-guitar sound at the end of part 4 e.g.) Yet without direct comparison I would not notice and I would double check that with better equipment.
    The stereo panorama is a bit more detailed in the new master. So that is a plus.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2015
    Personally, I've never upgraded since the 1997 version, which was quite loud to begin with. But despite many criticisms, I love this album -- one of my earliest Jarre albums that I discovered WHILE it was being released. Sure, there's a bit of Depeche Mode in there, and other influences like hip hop, but that's part of the charm. It's still unmistakably Jarre in the melodies and the instrumentation.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. NP: Mask (1985) - Vangelis

An electronica symphony! A groundbreaking, spectacular album that not only forshadowed Vangelis' later works but also the blend of symphonic and electronic elements that became the trademark of Hans Zimmer.

I also revisited bits from Beaubourg and Invisible Connections. The latter one was released on Deutsche Grammophon in the same year than Mask. It's long out of print an I have seen it offered for incredible money. Anyway, I never really warmed to these atonal works.
  7. NP: The Best of Kitaro

I'm on an electronica roll currently. spin
  8. NP: Sessions 2000 (2002) - Jean Michel Jarre

I bought this about a year ago. I did not like it then and forgot about it. No that I revisit it I like it much better. I would characterize it as "Jarre goes Eno".

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2015
    I love that album! Perfect companion piece for rainy autumn nights -- and a great example that Jarre is able to do great contemporary ambient as well.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Just looked for Geometry of Love. 150€!!! sad

Maybe it's on Spotify.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Steven wrote

Haha! biggrin Indeed.

And my drawing skills aren't that good either.
    Besides, 99% of my 'drawing' is writing ideas down and staring at white paper and 1% is actually drawing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Spoken like a true artist!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2015 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    Just looked for Geometry of Love. 150€!!! sad

Maybe it's on Spotify.

Yikes, really?

That's a good album too, in the same vein as SESSIONS 2000, but more 'erotic', if you will. A bit more accessible.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

It's better than my first association, which was with that utterly gross-out scene from Jackson's King Kong.
    Yuck.
    Seriously.
    Awful.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  10. And while I'm at it:

Téo and Téa (2007) - JMJ

I just found the following on wikipedia:

This album was a mistake, a dumb thing to do. I had a lot of personal problems at the time, and I kept myself entertained playing with these samples. And then they were released as an album. But when I listen to the album today... well, one has to stand behind one's own work, I guess, but I really wouldn't do it again.

There is some good material there but, yeah, I guess he's right. But "they released it"? He had a say in that hadn't he?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

It's better than my first association, which was with that utterly gross-out scene from Jackson's King Kong.
    Yuck.
    Seriously.
    Awful.

Check out this nightmarish hideosity ...and it's REAL!

Not for the squeamish.

p.s. I like the sci-fi influenced score.