• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2015 edited
    John Chambers wrote
    Martijn wrote
    John Chambers wrote
    New World Symphony Dvorak

Which version (orchestra/conductor) did you play, John?

I was playing the Phase 4 release with Antal Dorati and the New Philharmonia Orchestra. Do you have any particular favourite versions Martijn?

I have a fondness for the 1966 Bamberger Symphoniker/Heinrich Hollreiser version as it's the very first version I ever heard. I still think it's very good! The recording is lovely: grand where it should be, intimate where needed.

For sheer technical mastery and control I'll have the Wiener Symphoniker/Herbert von Karajan version (I think it's from 1982?).

But the finest recording I know is the 1961 Wiener Symphoniker/Istvan Kertesz recording, which is flamboyant, exuberant and incredibly brave (Kertesz allows the orchestra much leeway in tempi and joy, without once letting go of the reins). I absolutely adore this version!

(I gather the Berlin Philharmoniker/Rafael Kubelik is also very good, but I've not heard that one yet).

Oh, and I also am deeply in love with the arrangement from Kazuhito Yamashita. (Sound quality is horrible, but you get a fair idea just how very clever and well done this is. I strongly urge anyone to seek out the original performance frmo Yamashita!).

Yeah, this symphony is very much one of my very favourite classical works. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2015
    There are so many to choose from.
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
  1. My version features the Cleveland Orchestra conducted by Christoph von Dohnányi. Very good.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2015
    I found that the brass section of the Chicago Symphony was superior. If you have amazon prime the streaming is free.
    Tom smile

http://www.amazon.com/Dvorak-World-Symp … B00076OMW4
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2015
    Apologies if this was discussed in the past, I haven't been following this thread, but...

Check this out!

https://vimeo.com/117248553
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2015
    Had a listening/watching of this one and wasn't impressed. Musical ideas I've heard a lot of times before where I think the synchronizing and editing were more important than the music itself. Did I miss the melody?
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2015 edited
    NP: THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (Andrew Lloyd Webber)

The original 1987 cast album. So sue me -- I like Andrew Lloyd Webber!

[hmm...although it appears I'm liking this a lot less now than when I last listened to it 10 years ago]
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2015 edited
    Thor wrote
    NP: THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (Andrew Lloyd Webber)

I like Andrew Lloyd Webber! --so sue me

I will!

Thor wrote
    [hmm...although it appears I'm liking this a lot less now than when I last listened to it 10 years ago]

okay, lawyers are on hold....for now.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. The PHANTOM overture is phenomenal.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2015
    Captain Future wrote
    The PHANTOM overture is phenomenal.

Absolutely. And the 'core songs' are great ("Phantom of the Opera", "Music of the Night" etc.). But a lot of the other songs are a bit grating and 'shrill'. At least that's how they came off to me now, all these years later. I wonder if the 2004 film version is a better way to go?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2015
    I've now been asked to review for a Swedish company Sterling. I feel good that they like my classical reviews.
    Tom
  3. NP: Songs by George Harrison

This compilation features live versions of Beatles songs and post-fab-songs. Ever in the shadow of Lennon/McCartney he was a damn fine songwriter himself. An a nice fellow he seems to have been too.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2015
    he wrote some very nice material
    Tom smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2015
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Songs by George Harrison

This compilation features live versions of Beatles songs and post-fab-songs. Ever in the shadow of Lennon/McCartney he was a damn fine songwriter himself. An a nice fellow he seems to have been too.

Volker

George was an excellent talent.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2015
    NP: CHARLES IVES SYMPHONY NO. 1 was part of his graduation assignment. His teacher, Parker coerced him to write in a specific way. The "thinker" came later for Charles.
    Tom smile
  4. Dona nobis pacem Vaughan Williams

My first listen to this, what a spectacular mix of orchestra and chorus.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2015
    John Chambers wrote
    Dona nobis pacem Vaughan Williams

My first listen to this, what a spectacular mix of orchestra and chorus.

A gorgeous work! Good choice John.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2015
    Have a fun little project where I'm writing about composers who composed material for the Bocklin Painting Isle of the Dead.
    Tom
  5. NP: Fire It Up - Live - Joe Cocker

April 22nd 2013, Lanxess Arena Cologne, Germany.
    Totally relaxed bluesrock. Stellar!

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2015
    NP: The Gentle Storm : The Diary - Arjen Lucassen

Great concept album by Dutch prog metal maestro Arjen Lucassen sung throughout by Anneke van Giersbergen.
    CD 1 is a beautiful "gentle" version of songs and CD 2 being the "storm" version which has the same songs again but heavier with drums, guitar and choir. Wonderful stuff!
  6. NP: Flower Power

CBS double LP/CD album released in 1989 for the German market.

Hey! Mr. Tambourine Man, play a song for me
    I’m not sleepy and there is no place I’m going to
    Hey! Mr. Tambourine Man, play a song for me
    In the jingle jangle morning I’ll come followin’ you

Volker in hippie mood spin dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2015 edited
    -
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2015
    Thor wrote
    -

I sense drunkenness censored? wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote
    Volker in hippie mood spin dizzy

Damnnn...between Percy Sledge dying and your post I feel a strong urge to play my Sixties Playlist. LOUD!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Thor wrote
    -

I sense drunkenness censored? wink

Not this time. It was just an accidental posting.

I'm actually in the middle of a 10 day 'detox' right now. Will start binging again on Friday.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. NP: Guitars (1999) - Mike Oldfield

I read mixed reviews about this album but I like a lot what I hear. Track 7 FOUR WINDS is a nice tribute to Jerry Lordan / The Shadows. Not his first one of course.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2015
    NP: THE ENDLESS RIVER (Pink Floyd)

Smooth sailing!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2015
    To let you all know what I'm doing I'm engaged in a very difficult review of Raff which consists of three premiere recordings for Sterling Records, a Swedish company. For example did you know that Raff had a hand in Liszt's Prometheus tone poem?
    Tom
  8. NP: Tr3s Lunas (2002) - Mike Oldfield

Rather pleasant material but it enters and exits your mind without much making much of an impression. If you are familiar with Oldfield's canon you've heard it all before.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2015
    https://sdtom.wordpress.com/2015/04/26/ … -and-raff/

This is the review if you're interested
    Tom