• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2015
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    For obvious reasons, I am listening to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBG8rIVIUNE

They ran out of Green Onions?

biggrin applause
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    TheWanderer wrote
    Ralph Vaughn Williams symphony number 7 - sinfonia Antarctica - it's amazing. Particularly the Prelude. Very majestic and foreboding.

Fantastic work! I presume you're familiar with the film score?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. NP: Bat Out Of Hell (1977) - Meat Loaf

Outstanding, highly entertaining album. Not neighbour friendly though. wink

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I can't stand either Meathead or Jim Steinman.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    But it is a well known fact you have no taste.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I know. rolleyes
  2. Timmer wrote
    TheWanderer wrote
    Ralph Vaughn Williams symphony number 7 - sinfonia Antarctica - it's amazing. Particularly the Prelude. Very majestic and foreboding.

Actually, no, Timmer. And it was only after posting this that i had an inkling that it had something to do with a film. I do have a lot of RVW but a lot of it is in England while i am in Canada, and i don't think i ever had it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2015 edited
    TheWanderer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    TheWanderer wrote

Actually, no, Timmer. And it was only after posting this that i had an inkling that it had something to do with a film. I do have a lot of RVW but a lot of it is in England while i am in Canada, and i don't think i ever had it.

I recommend checking it out. Both works contain the same material and also both works contain material not contained in the other.

Scott of The Antarctic is available to listen to on Spotify or there's the very highly recommended rerecording on the CHANDOS label by Rumon Gamba, THE FILM MUSIC OF RALPH VAUGHAN WILLIAMS Volume 1 which has the full film score. For me it is in my all time top 50 film scores.

The 1948 film ( in colour ) starring John Mills and other British acting stalwarts is well worth a watch too, not much of it is filmed in a studio.
  3. Ta, Timmer. i'll hunt the music down for sure. I remember seeing Scott of the antarctic films when i was younger, but for some reason remember it being black and white (but obviously not for about 20 years). I know it always seemed to be on telly on a sunday.
  4. NP: The Essential Paul Simon

What an awesomely inspired songwriter! cool

Volker
  5. Captain Future wrote
    NP: Bat Out Of Hell (1977) - Meat Loaf

Outstanding, highly entertaining album. Not neighbour friendly though. wink

Volker

There's a new Steinman & Loaf album in the works. cool

I love all three Bats.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2015
    DreamTheater wrote
    There's a new Steinman & Loaf album in the works. cool

With any luck I'll never hear it.
  6. NP: Diesel and Dust (1987) - Midnight Oil

Nice rock album. "Beds are Burning" is one to scream along in an arena.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2015
    Good live band too. I saw both Midnight Oil and Men At Work at Glasto in the mid 80's.
  7. Captain Future wrote
    NP: Diesel and Dust (1987) - Midnight Oil

Volker

I don't have an arena close by, but will a car do? cheesy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  8. DreamTheater wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Diesel and Dust (1987) - Midnight Oil

Volker

I don't have an arena close by, but will a car do? cheesy

Sure. Or the shower for an a capella version. smile
  9. Flute Concerto John Williams

For some reason I've never got round to buying this, it just arrived and I'm on my first listen. Really enjoying it; a really mysterious, mythical mood permeates it.

The Liner notes Williams wrote for it are fascinating too, he was inspired to write it by listening to Shakuhachi music and wanted to try and recreate the atmosphere it creates with a conventional modern flute. I didn't realise it was written way back in 1969 and that even back then it was inspired by trees and forests.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2015
    John Chambers wrote
    Flute Concerto John Williams

For some reason I've never got round to buying this, it just arrived and I'm on my first listen. Really enjoying it; a really mysterious, mythical mood permeates it.

The Liner notes Williams wrote for it are fascinating too, he was inspired to write it by listening to Shakuhachi music and wanted to try and recreate the atmosphere it creates with a conventional modern flute. I didn't realise it was written way back in 1969 and that even back then it was inspired by trees and forests.

The flute concerto is really Williams at his most avant garde, but I think it's a fascinating piece nonetheless.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. New World Symphony Dvorak

Picked up this Kertesz version on Martijn's recommendation and it's terrific! (Actually I got it as part of a fantastic 9 disc set containing all of Kertesz's Dvorak recordings with the LSO). As far as I'm concerned you can't have too many great recordings of this fantastic symphony.
  11. NP: Das ist nicht die ganze Wahrheit (1988) - Die Ärzte

German punk rock classic that no one here probably has ever heard about, let alone listened to. In 1988 I graduated from junior high. Back then that music was everywhere. Such records never fade. smile

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2015 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Das ist nicht die ganze Wahrheit (1988) - Die Ärzte

German punk rock classic that no one here probably has ever heard about, let alone listened to. In 1988 I graduated from junior high. Back then that music was everywhere. Such records never fade. smile

Volker

Nope! Never heard of it. The fact it's released 12 years after punk began and ended says it all!
  12. Well, it isn't punk rock in the most orthodox meaning of the word. And, yes, the Germans are often a bit late to the party. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2015
    biggrin applause
  13. NP: Gate of Creation . From Earth to Mars . El Rostro de la Luna (2015) - Arturo Rodriguez

This was in the mail today. It's lovely. If you like THE PLANETS and classic scifi scores, then these majestic compositions are definitely for you.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2015
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Gate of Creation . From Earth to Mars . El Rostro de la Luna (2015) - Arturo Rodriguez

This was in the mail today. It's lovely. If you like THE PLANETS and classic scifi scores, than this majestic compositions are definitely for you.

Volker

Agree! This is a wonderful album.
  14. NP: The Planets - Gustav Holst

This is a double CD album that features additional compositions specifically commissioned by the Berlin Philharmonics and Simon Rattle. These are:

Colin Matthews (b. 1946): Pluto, the Renewer
    Kaija Saariaho (b. 1952): Asteroid 4179: Toutatis
    Matthias Pintscher (b. 1971): Toward Osiris
    Mark-Anthony Turnage (b. 1960): Ceres
    Brett Dean (b. 1961): Komarov's Fall

They are fine in their own right but don't hold a candle to the original piece. I never heard of these composers in any other context.
    That reminds me of that gorgeous piece "Javelin" on the album SUMMON THE HEROES by Michael Torke. Another composer I heard about never again. There must be hundreds of talented composers out there that never gain any significance beyond very small circles.

Volker
  15. NP: Pas De Deux (2015) - James Horner

A wonderful piece of music.
    Am I the only one left here who is still listening to any kind of music?

Volker
  16. The Einaudi piece is almost like a fourth part of Horner's concerto.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2015
    Totally felt like some stoner rock after a very hectic week.
    My own Dandy Warhols compilation. As cool as Kim Deal.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2015
    Captain Future wrote
    Am I the only one left here who is still listening to any kind of music?

I'm sure I'll get my appetite back sooner or later.