• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2011
    Martijn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    This is exactly why i am against judging scores as they work on cd alone.

You may be against it.
    I am all for it.
    smile

If it's on CD, then that's what I'm judging it by. Couldn't give a flying **** how it works in the film if I've spent £15 on a CD.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: EXCALIBUR (Richard Wagner/Trevor Jones)

Oddball mix of Wagner and medieval music for a film whose tone I was never able to get, but tantalizing nonetheless.

Wonderful film. Love it.

Excellent, excellent film!
    Marvellous adaptation of the nigh-unreadable, nigh-unfollowable, but in the history of literature and mythology oh so important Morte D'Arthur.
    Absolutely adore it.

Thor, it's very much NOT a comedy. If anything it's a study in archetypes and destiny.
    It's neither straightforward, nor naturalistic, and chocfull of pagan, mythic references, overlain with Christian visual symbolism. ANd, pretty much as its primary source, technical or dramatic details for a twentieth century palate simply aren't deemed of immediate importance!
    I wish some of the performances would have been better (I really liked Nicol Williamson as Merlin and Helen Mirren as Morgana, but Nigel Terry as Arthur is a liability), but other than that it's an easy entry into my top ten films of all time.

Very well said applause

The only bit I disagree on is Nigel Terry as King Arthur, it's something I can't put my finger on ( at least right now after a weekend of preserving myself in pickling juice ) but he just comes across as 'right', so much better than the usual "Hollywood" type who would normally play this part.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    This is exactly why i am against judging scores as they work on cd alone.

You may be against it.
    I am all for it.
    smile

If it's on CD, then that's what I'm judging it by. Couldn't give a flying **** how it works in the film if I've spent £15 on a CD.

Same here! yeah
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. yeah

We get it D what your preferences. The inference from your comments that composers who, when writing film music, are thinking more about the CD release rather than thinking about the film is a bit disrespectful in my opinion.

Surely any film composer thinking that would not get the jobs?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Steven wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Steven wrote
    The expanded version makes it even more enjoyable, especially to hear more of that ridiculously brilliant theme John Powell wrote for the film.

Correction: Ridiculously brilliant themeS. wink

I find The road to El Dorado to be one of the greatest scores to an animated movie I've ever heard. It's a travesty that there hasn't been a proper score release yet.

Peter slant

The newest expanded version is exactly what you're looking for! It may not be official, but the music's all there to enjoy. Brilliant stuff. smile

indeed, finally I can listen to the wonderful entrance music when they reach El Dorado, or a choral main theme performance when they jump ship. Little things, but oh so lovely smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Steven wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Steven wrote
    The expanded version makes it even more enjoyable, especially to hear more of that ridiculously brilliant theme John Powell wrote for the film.

Correction: Ridiculously brilliant themeS. wink

I find The road to El Dorado to be one of the greatest scores to an animated movie I've ever heard. It's a travesty that there hasn't been a proper score release yet.

Peter slant

The newest expanded version is exactly what you're looking for! It may not be official, but the music's all there to enjoy. Brilliant stuff. smile

indeed, finally I can listen to the wonderful entrance music when they reach El Dorado, or a choral main theme performance when they jump ship. Little things, but oh so lovely smile

Fine, now you know what you can give me for one of my following listens. cheesy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2011 edited
    plindboe wrote
    Found it. Arrr, thank ye, landlobber.

Anyway, give this one an official release and I'll buy it before anyone can blink.

Peter wink

Arrrr, me too matey. :pirate:

Oh. No pirate emoticon... sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Alan, I said the contrary. The composer thinks about the movie they score alone. How their work will serve it and the director's wishes. Anything else is secondary. You are buying the cd which Is an optional product of the label and studio, not the composer's himself. It's a secondary item which exists only for financial reasons and for promoting the film in general. The composer writes the music for the film.

And what's your problem with my opinion ? Do You have anything actually beneficial to add than simply "ok it's your opinion d we get It, now shove it up your ass?". You do that every time.

I was reacting to a rather imbecile IMO comment which completely misses the point on the score to tintin. I can't sugar coat my thoughts it's not me. I am sorry if I can't touch some people's ears in gentle silk ways. This is not who I am.

Anyway, it's getting tiring for me. This is not for me, I have to concentrate on enjoying the work of composers which is rather admirable and beautiful, and a lot in quantities. The fanboy nagging has tired me. I need generally more positive things Than giving my energy and time on forum rants that completely miss the point. I am out.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    We should all have some weed and chill. sad cool

Anyway, I understand both points. This fence is quite comfortable!
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    Alan, I said the contrary. The composer thinks about the movie they score alone. How their work will serve it and the director's wishes. Anything else is secondary. You are buying the cd which Is an optional product of the label and studio, not the composer's himself. It's a secondary item which exists only for financial reasons and for promoting the film in general. The composer writes the music for the film.

And what's your problem with my opinion ? Do You have anything actually beneficial to add than simply "ok it's your opinion d we get It, now shove it up your ass?". You do that every time.

I was reacting to a rather imbecile IMO comment which completely misses the point on the score to tintin. I can't sugar coat my thoughts it's not me. I am sorry if I can't touch some people's ears in gentle silk ways. This is not who I am.

Anyway, it's getting tiring for me. This is not for me, I have to concentrate on enjoying the work of composers which is rather admirable and beautiful, and a lot in quantities. The fanboy nagging has tired me. I need generally more positive things Than giving my energy and time on forum rants that completely miss the point. I am out.

If I have missed the point of your original post Demetris the I do apologise. But as that post has been edited I can't be sure of what I originally read. What I read now is quite clear so I cannot see how I made my error in the interpretation.

But one thing I would ask is that if you are going to use quotation marks to suggest some comment I have made in an earlier post could I ask you not to embellish it with your own flourishes? I would like to think I would not say that to anyone on a messageboard.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Alan, I said the contrary. The composer thinks about the movie they score alone. How their work will serve it and the director's wishes. Anything else is secondary. You are buying the cd which Is an optional product of the label and studio, not the composer's himself.

If I'm not mistaken most composers are very much involved in the production of the CD. Yes, serving the film is all that really matters but the use of the music from the film doesn't end there.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Erik Woods wrote
    If I'm not mistaken most composers are very much involved in the production of the CD. Yes, serving the film is all that really matters but the use of the music from the film doesn't end there.

-Erik-

You could compare a composer to a mechanic for your car. He doesn't care what your car looks like. His job is to repair the vehicle and make it run smooth. The music is just part of the project.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    55 Days To Peking/Tiomkin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Fix your quote tags, Tom!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Still working on my one and only cup of Java and I'm nervous about my physical therapy today
  5. Has Tom's tagging issues messed up this thread's formatting?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    TOM FIX YOUR TAGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    This is screwed up right here!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Just posting because I want to see it looks when alot of feet are next to each other.

Peter smile
  6. I quite like my new "border"!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    What the heck happened here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Will it solve itself when we get to the next page? If so, perhaps we should just make alot of posts.

Peter smile
  7. Southall wrote

My thoughts exactly.
  8. Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

And this too!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    EVERYONE IS MOST WELCOME TO PUT YOUR NP's ON THE NON-FILM SCORE RELATED TOPIC UNTIL THIS ONE IS FIXED.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Wait, we have a non-film score now playing topic!?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yes, and it's much better than this thread but shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! Don't tell anybody.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Love how my tall forehead is spread out all over the border there. LOLZ! smile
    I am extremely serious.
  9. crazy

Let it be known from now on, forum-breakers will be shot on sight. kill

Oh wait, I should be dead, I broke it once too.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Has Tom's tagging issues messed up this thread's formatting?

Yes.

Opened a quote in the post preceding the melt-down without closing it.
    Fixed now.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn