• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2011
    An excellent score for an incredible TV series! Can't wait for season 2.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I've only caught a few bits of the show, so admittedly I don't really know how it works in the episodes. I really do like that theme though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anyway, I need something with a little bit more meat on its bones...

The Mummy Returns Alan Silvestri

Glorious themes!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2011 edited
    Steven wrote
    Ramin Dujaidhudqwiduqwhatever!

That took longer to write than the actual name, Djawadi. Think phonetically, "Dee JavaDee".
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2011 edited
    NP: Gundam Unicorn OST1 - Sawano Hiroyuki

Excellent. Though it's sad that the orchestra size is so small, the action cues doesn't pack as much punch as it could have. The softer cues works really well, however. Perhaps they should have recorded in Bratislava.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    lp wrote
    Steven wrote

That took longer to write than the actual name, Djawadi.

Only if you remember how to spell his name!

Think phonetically, "Dee JavaDee".

uhm

Juh-Kee-No?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Juh-Kee-No?

biggrin

Only got that when I said it out loud.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Der-SPLAT!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Steven wrote
    lp wrote
    Steven wrote

That took longer to write than the actual name, Djawadi.

Only if you remember how to spell his name!

Think phonetically, "Dee JavaDee".

uhm

Juh-Kee-No?

Jay Kay No?
    Joe kee Nuh?
    Jay Kay No?
    Jeh Kay No?

Kon FoO zing.
  2. Chicken Foo King Style

And it's

Gee a Kee No
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You guys are all off topic and this close to being banned.

Roh-KEER vahn OT-tur-low
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Sow-fah-king-what
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  4. Martijn wrote
    Roh-KEER vahn OT-tur-low

I thought that was how you said it!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    justin boggan wrote
    Sow-fah-king-what

Apparently you're ordering Thai food? wink

FalkirkBairn wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Roh-KEER vahn OT-tur-low

I thought that was how you said it!

It IS! But I can't emphasise that enough!

NP: Transylvania Twist - Chuck Cirino
    Mmmm..Mmmmmmm.
    The theme is nice (if you're OK with Cirino's all-synth approach), the rest of the score is a bit humdrum, unfortunately, not helped along by some truly awful songs in between.
    I enjoyed the Cirino sampler from BSX a lot more.
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    An excellent score for an incredible TV series! Can't wait for season 2.

-Erik-

I can only speak of it from hearing it in the series. I like the violin/woodwind thing that brings an ominous, quiet feel to many a scene, but actually the rest of the score seemed to me pretty flat. The main theme is little more than a power anthem. Feels like a hastily done replacement score if ever I heard one. The (excellent) series survives it more than anything.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2011
    I think the score is appropriate and hits all the right marks and emotions. Sure, it could be a bigger, more bold Poeldourisesque symphonic power house but it isn't. Oh well.

Djawadi is doing a really good job creating themes for all the major players and I like how he utilizes and dissects the main theme (which is a bloody magnificent "power anthem" if you want to call it that!) throughout the course of the show either by only using the rhythm, snippets or clever variations of the main theme.

I'm surprised I enjoy it so much but I think that has to do with my love for the show and how bloody well the score works in context. But I'm also surprised that I enjoy the score away from the show as well.

It's nothing ground breaking but it is effect and memorable TV scoring!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  6. (Well it beats the main title to LOST, I'll agree to that. wink )

(Just listening to some of it now... I mean, it's hardly MISTS OF AVALON. Now that's satisfying tv scoring.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Mist of Avalon is excellent! Too bad most of the action material from that series won't see the light of day. sad

-Erik-
  7. Interesting how Ramin only replaced one composer on that series, and Holdridge replaced two on MoA yet did the superior score. Maybe it's a mark of better skills to pull off a quality score in lesser time.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    I was just listening to Inception again and thinking how good Waiting for a train is from about 5:30/6:00 to the end... so much going on there!

NP: Time Machine
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Mist of Avalon is excellent! Too bad most of the action material from that series won't see the light of day. sad

-Erik-

I love that score. I've not seen the TV series so I can at least be blissfully ignorant.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    NP: Romeo and Juliet - Nino Rota

I really really adore Romeo and Did my heart love 'till now?, when the two sweet melodies go together.

Unfortunately when I'm looking for clips on YouTube to share (on facebook), all I can find is the cheesy love theme. I've never been a fan of the 'What is a youth' theme, perhaps because of that song. If it was just music I would have liked it more.

It isn't bad, but I always keep singing that song and I really don't like it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Bregje wrote
    NP: Romeo and Juliet - Nino Rota

I really really adore Romeo and Did my heart love 'till now?, when the two sweet melodies go together.

I'm wondering if it's a counterpoint or a canon. The melodies are different so I'd say counterpoint?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    "Cheesy"? slant
    You don't like it, fine. That's of course anyone's prerogative.
    But calling it cheesy is really doing it a massive disservice.
    (As you may notice I'm fiercely protective of this score. biggrin I find in its entirety it's honestly one of the finest, most emotional things ever written for film).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    And yes, it's a counterpoint. Two different melodies that are nevertheless harmonically intwined. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    It's because of the song. I cannot listen to the love theme without singing, in my gayest way possible (eh, male gay, not female gay, makes sense?), the song. Even my kids beg me to stop singing like that.

I was listening to the score again today and thought, well, near the end/finale, there I start to like the theme a bit, but in the beginning and those first notes... what is a youth... yada dadaaa.....
    sad

Still, I love the score very much, despite of the cheesy theme. So the rest must be really good. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2011 edited
    While I could make several technical points that it's in many ways an incredibly clever and intelligently composed track that would blow any single musical (to keep with the whole 'gay' theme wink) out of the water, that's not the main thing for me. It's predominantly a track that has a profound emotional impact on me, and in that, it means a lot to me.

When I said I think it's the best love theme EVER written for ANY film, I wasn't kidding.
    For me it perfectly encompasses the splendour and pain that comes with first love, which is ALWAYS the most painful. It's minor key SO very much fits that most glorious of tragedies.

Obviously I always hope everyone will feel the same as I do, especially when an impact is this great.
    So to find that is not the case is always a terrible disappointment, and my very first reaction is totally defensive: "can't you see how TERRIBLY wrong you are!?!?"

But I think I may have grown old and wise enough to get over it with a minimum of fuss. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Adore ROMEO & JULIET, which also happens to have one of the most gorgeous love themes of all time. And I say that perfectly comfortable with my heterosexual orientation! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    We should hang out.