• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Chillerama: Zom-B-Movie - Bear McCreary

"Hate" is such a strong word that I don't tend to use it much. So, I detest this score intensely.

Cheap, cheesy synths, annoying drum pads, meandering underscore and some so-so songs (yes, the songs may be the best there is here). From reading some of the reviews for the movie, the score sounds like it will fit the film like a glove.

Should make the review I was thinking of writing quite interesting. wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2011
    Come on... how can you NOT love the Gremlins 2 inspired action track "Rosebud, Motherfucker!" My goodness... any album with a track name like that gets a two thumbs up from me. wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    Come on... how can you NOT love the Gremlins 2 inspired action track "Rosebud, Motherfucker!" My goodness... any album with a track name like that gets a two thumbs up from me. wink

Ah, Gremlins 2. I think that that sums it up exactly! Thanks, Erik. I now have where the Jerry Goldsmith "homage" comes from. The Lalo Schifrin/Enter The Dragon-type hints in the "Deathication" music I also got.

But, I don't think that there is anything on this album that I would want to voluntarily listen to again.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE BLACK HOLE - John Barry

Bliss! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. THE GREATEST VIDEO GAME MUSIC - VARIOUS

If you know a thing or two about games and their rich musical legacy, most of the tunes on this splendid compilation will sound familiar. But what amazes me is how superbly they have been prepared for a symphonic recording. If you have heard the totally simplistic theme of Tetris on the Gameboy, the cue that appears on this album will blow you away with its incredibly inventive polka feel and downright fun instrumentation. Most of the music on offer here will please game and film music fans, and even amaze some people that videogames can hold such epic and beautiful scores. Of course you have to take into account many of the themes come from a purely synthetic origin, so that their 'symphonication' is so inspired and well done is all the more incredible. I highly recommend this album to anyone seeking melody and memorability in their music, regardless of what medium it is composed for. But if you have somewhat of a reference and know what the original pieces sound like, this will be a vast improvement.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : TESS - Philippe Sarde

A great score, a real shame more people here aren't familiar with this brilliant composers music.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. FalkirkBairn wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Chillerama: Zom-B-Movie - Bear McCreary

"Hate" is such a strong word that I don't tend to use it much. So, I detest this score intensely.

Cheap, cheesy synths, annoying drum pads, meandering underscore and some so-so songs (yes, the songs may be the best there is here). From reading some of the reviews for the movie, the score sounds like it will fit the film like a glove.

Should make the review I was thinking of writing quite interesting. wink

can't wait to read it, go for it Alan smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2011 edited
    Timmer wrote

A great score, a real shame more people here aren't familiar with this brilliant composers music.

A little taster for anyone interested what this sounds like, Sarde gives it a very French / Eastern European feel making it quite unique for such an English story. It's a bit unfortunate that this seems to be the only clip of the original score on youtube, the Prague version featured on YT is lousy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Rio John Powell

Not Powell's strongest score, but still very enjoyable.

That said, 'Morning Routine' is one of my favourite cues of 2011, and indeed one of my favourite tracks by Powell.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

A little taster for anyone interested what this sounds like, Sarde gives it a very French / Eastern European feel making it quite unique for such an English story. It's a bit unfortunate that this seems to be the only clip of the original score on youtube, the Prague version featured on YT is lousy.

Hmm, I'm intrigued. I will give this Sarde fellow a try...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    ...but for now I need some happy Powell music. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorNeilbucket
    NP: Preist - Christopher Young

Having listened to the recently released 2-Disc of The Core, I was eager to hear large-scale Young, and Priest seems to perfectly fit the bill!
    Insert witty line here
  5. I prefer Yuong's take on Preist myself. wink
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

Hmm, I'm intrigued. I will give this Sarde fellow a try...

Please do!

Here's a track from QUEST FOR FIRE.

CREATION OF FIRE
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote

It's a lovely score for a wonderful Polanski film -- one of his most underrated.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    The Star and The Wish ~ Evanthia Reboutsika

It's magical. It's piece calls for forgeting yourself, abandoning it in the waves of music. I don't know why but it gives me the feeling of breathing a clear, lightsented air.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Stavroula wrote
    The Star and The Wish ~ Evanthia Reboutsika

It's magical. It's piece calls for forgeting yourself, abandoning it in the waves of music. I don't know why but it gives me the feeling of breathing a clear. lightsented air.

I haven't the slightest idea what this is but I'm downloading it because your description is so nice.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    You will like it!You'll see! smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  6. Steven wrote
    My version actually includes some edits of the album tracks. I've shorted a few tracks, and then added a few from the promos. So although it's longer than the album by a few minutes, there's not a single dull moment to be heard (in my not so humble opinion).

Not having 'Quaritch Down' on the album is a criminal offence. (It's also nice to end the album with the end credits tracks, which is basically 'Jake's First Flight' and 'Gathering The Na'Vi Clans For Battle' edited into one 3:32 minute track.)

The version I made is the definitive version.
    Fact.

Yeah, the fact that the album only has half of the battle music from the film makes it woefully incomplete to me.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2011
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

It's a lovely score for a wonderful Polanski film -- one of his most underrated.

Agreed!
  7. Steven wrote
    Rio John Powell

Not Powell's strongest score, but still very enjoyable.

That said, 'Morning Routine' is one of my favourite cues of 2011, and indeed one of my favourite tracks by Powell.

Agreed, on every point.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Liberty Heights - Andrea Morricone

Spectacularly beautiful music full of whimsy.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2011 edited
    NP : GOLDFINGER - John Barry

A truly awesome Bond score, why this score wasn't nominated for Oscars in best score and song catagories is beyond me ( I know, I know, I really shouldn't care wink ), those opening blasting brass in the title song has only ever been matched by John Williams Star Wars for in-your-face we're in for an exciting film moments.
  8. NP: "The Devil In Music" - BBC Radio 3 broadcast

I missed this earlier today and have just started to listen to it. Composer Christopher Young doing a show for BBC Radio 3?!?!

Here's the information for the programme:

"Film composer Christopher Young, who has scored Nightmare on Elm Street 2, Hellraiser, and Drag Me to Hell, discovers how his musical scare tactics are inspired by the past.

Throughout the programme, Christopher Young examines how a composer makes an audience jump in terror. He discovers how his own devilish compositions are inspired by the works of Wagner, Berlioz and Liszt. Surprising connections are drawn between classic horror scenes and demonically inspired operas and symphonies.

The programme starts with an investigation of the relationship between the devil and the violin, embodied in the life and legend of Niccolo Paganini. With musicologist Maiko Kawabata and violinist Philippe Quint, Christopher considers the devil's role in musical complexity.

The tritone is a musical interval nicknamed Diabolus in Musica. It was generally avoided by medieval composers due to the chaos it created within harmony. Goldsmith's Lecturer in Music Anthony Pryer dissects the unsettling nature of the Devil in Music. Along the way, Christopher discovers what many musicologists consider to be the first horror scene: The Wolf's Glen scene from Der Freischutz, an 1822 opera by Carl Maria Von Weber. With University of Leeds Professor of Critical Musicology Derek Scott, Christopher examines Mozart's Don Giovanni and Franz Liszt's Faust Symphony. King Edward Professor of Music at King's John Deathridge helps Christopher to discover the demonic techniques developed by Richard Wagner. Horror music expert Stan Link examines Hector Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique, while identifying the sensorial similarities between horror films and classic Romantic works."

Maybe this may be better placed in the "Now Playing ( NON film / game / tv scores )" topic?

Here's the link (UK only)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 … _in_music/
  9. "The Devil In Music" programme is quite technical - at the moment the discussion is of the use of the tritone in music through the ages". I am not understanding much of it, but I am enjoying it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thanks Alan! I'm listening to it now.
  10. Steven wrote
    Thanks Alan! I'm listening to it now.

punk

Penderecki's music has just made an entrance for me!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The religion aspect is definitely interesting to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2011 edited
    I am finding it to be a very interesting programme.

It's just finished - 45 minutes rather than the 55 minutes the extract lasts.

Really a very good look at the development of the various techniques used in music that is associated with the devil. I'm off to listen to some music from The Shining...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Mm, it's putting me in the mood for some seriously twisted music too. devil