• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: Baby Boy - David Arnold

I like the soul influences of this one. And the inclusion of orchestral and thematic material. Though I prefer Four Brothers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2011 edited
    Hugo - Howard Shore

I think I need to digest this one for a little while. Colourful instrumentation with a distinctly French air; not one for those with an irrational hatred of accordions.

The only other Shore score I can compare this to is Esther Kahn, but only in terms of composition, not orchestration which is much 'bigger' here.

There are some distinctly Glass-like moments towards the second half of the album - fans of Philip Glass' most recent orchestral output will enjoy them.

This score displays a level of depth and care that I have not seen (or rather heard) outside of Tintin and War Horse this year.
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    Atham wrote
    NP: Super Atragon - Masamichi Amano

This is a stunner! An absolutely magnificent 90s score written for the anime film.
    It's contains huge, often sweeping melodies mixed with militant action all performed with symphonic power.
    I'm often reminded of Christopher Gordon's work when listening to this.
    If you can still get hold of it GET IT!!!
    To quote one review "Classical in every way you turn, this CD is a masterpiece. With depths of feeling that would make even Mozart shiver. The music is absolutely stunning in the way it is not only composed, but also in how it is performed. The Warsaw Philharmonic National Orchestra of Poland take simple notes written out on a sheet of paper and turn it into a joyous romp through the deep seeded emotional turmoil that is man. The cues conjure up every emotion you can think of, from deep melancholy, to purest joy. From Suspense to down right fear. The classical feel to the music only makes it better. Complete and total, a great sound. I'd have to say it's just downright beautiful to hear."
    I'm certainly glad to have this in my collection!

I just want to thank Atham for introducing me to this incredible work! It's stunning and the UN Forces theme is f__king awesome!

How to describe this score? well, the quote above says it all "...in every way you turn, this CD is a masterpiece!"

Highly recommended to all who love ballsy, purely symphonic, action packed, larger than life, thematic and deeply profound film music!

-Erik-

something tells me my brother is gonna enjoy this. Might want to check it out myself as well
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Greatest Miracle - Mark McKenzie

Yup... by far still the best score of the year!

EDIT - This score is unreal! There is no way a cue like "Angels, Demons and Prayer" would make it in a Hollywood film these days! I think it would be refreshing for film composers to take on smaller and/or more independent projects that would allow them to stretch their wings instead of having them clipped by the corporate big wigs that run the business now! My goodness this score is gorgeous!

I'm gonna have to resurrect my Mark McKenzie tribute show! More need to hear this man's brilliant music!

-Erik-

you're right about that, I only dislike the suite that opens the CD. It's like a bad paste job. Something tells me McKenzie didn't compose this suite, but some guy just put the pieces together
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2011
    Jim Ware wrote
    I think I need to digest this one for a little while. Colourful instrumentation with a distinctly French air; not one for those with an irrational hatred of accordions.

Irrational? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    you're right about that, I only dislike the suite that opens the CD. It's like a bad paste job. Something tells me McKenzie didn't compose this suite, but some guy just put the pieces together

I think McKenzie created the arrangement for the live performance at World Youth Day in Madrid but what's on the CD is a cut and paste job using the original soundtrack recording. The digital download didn't have that suite but McKenzie's PR people did send the "suite" to me a few months later. I listened to it once and never again.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    Jim Ware wrote

Irrational? wink

I like the Accordion but, like bag-pipes, only in small doses.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    plindboe wrote
    Jim Ware wrote

Irrational? wink

Generally speaking, they're rather well integrated - it's a colour rather than the focus for the most part as are the other unusual instrumental choices (there's an ondes Martenot in here too for Elmer Bernstein fans).

Moving away from accordions and other oddities, themes and motifs are many but with the degree of subtlety that comes with Shore.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Film Music of Sir Malcolm Arnold

Bloody marvelous. :england:
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    :britain: ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Unforgivable.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    The Film Music of Sir Malcolm Arnold

Bloody marvelous. :england:

I approve.

:st-george:
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    :michael-caine:
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    Timmer wrote

:onlysupposedtoblowthebloodydoorsoff:
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Not even Michael Caine!? shocked

...:colonial:?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Jim Ware wrote
    Timmer wrote

:onlysupposedtoblowthebloodydoorsoff:

:notalotofpeopleknowthat:
  4. NP: Indecent Proposal (John Barry)

With one of his best love themes, fledgling composer Barry continues to show promise, although his main theme does feel like he's spent too much time listening to the Oceanic 6 theme from LOST. It wouldn't be the first time Barry borrowed from a more seasoned composer (thinking back to The Incredibles).
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  5. :ido: biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  6. On balance I think you'd have to say Barry could be one of the next generation of leading film composers.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Time Machine - Russell Garcia

I've read Timmer's latest praise of this score so I thought I'd give this score another go. I do remember not liking it much when I first heard it on La La Land's George Pal compilation and I can remember not being impressed with FSM's presentation. While the writing is professional and colorful I can't get into this score on an emotional level. There's a lot of very busy music (which is technically very well done) and a love theme as well but to me it doesn't have much soul. And the goofy time travel music is sooooooo incredibly cheesy. Booooooooooooooooop! Although the end title is beautiful. Sorry Timmer.

It also doesn't help that my encoded MP3's sound like a watery donkey fart!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Erik Woods wrote
    Atham wrote
    NP: Super Atragon - Masamichi Amano

This is a stunner! An absolutely magnificent 90s score written for the anime film.
    It's contains huge, often sweeping melodies mixed with militant action all performed with symphonic power.
    I'm often reminded of Christopher Gordon's work when listening to this.
    If you can still get hold of it GET IT!!!
    To quote one review "Classical in every way you turn, this CD is a masterpiece. With depths of feeling that would make even Mozart shiver. The music is absolutely stunning in the way it is not only composed, but also in how it is performed. The Warsaw Philharmonic National Orchestra of Poland take simple notes written out on a sheet of paper and turn it into a joyous romp through the deep seeded emotional turmoil that is man. The cues conjure up every emotion you can think of, from deep melancholy, to purest joy. From Suspense to down right fear. The classical feel to the music only makes it better. Complete and total, a great sound. I'd have to say it's just downright beautiful to hear."
    I'm certainly glad to have this in my collection!

I just want to thank Atham for introducing me to this incredible work! It's stunning and the UN Forces theme is f__king awesome!

How to describe this score? well, the quote above says it all "...in every way you turn, this CD is a masterpiece!"

Highly recommended to all who love ballsy, purely symphonic, action packed, larger than life, thematic and deeply profound film music!

-Erik-

So glad you found it Erik!
    I've neglected this score for almost a year now! I must play it again!
    I watched the film but much prefer the score on its own.
    I have other scores by Amano but Super Atragon is his finest IMHO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE THIEF OF BAGDHAD / THE JUNGLE BOOK (Miklos Rozsa)

The ol', great Colloseum CD.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    Stavroula wrote
    Following Pawel's choice of composer
    NP: Game of Thrones ~ Ramin Djawadi
    Just fantastic!

Not to continue a sniping war on everyone who brings this score up here, but please elaborate on its treasures, for I have yet to understand them myself. wink

Thought it was terrible in the show, so I obviously haven't bought the CD. Am also very surprised by the praise it gets.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Goldfinger - John Barry

He loves gold! Classic.
  7. Erik Woods wrote
    ...a watery donkey fart!

Unlucky Erik. Those are the worst kind. rolleyes
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    ...a watery donkey fart!

Unlucky Erik. Those are the worst kind. rolleyes

biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Indecent Proposal (John Barry)

With one of his best love themes, fledgling composer Barry continues to show promise, although his main theme does feel like he's spent too much time listening to the Oceanic 6 theme from LOST. It wouldn't be the first time Barry borrowed from a more seasoned composer (thinking back to The Incredibles).

I haven't looked into this composer enough but from the little I've heard I suspect you're right.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote

I've read Timmer's latest praise of this score so I thought I'd give this score another go. I do remember not liking it much when I first heard it on La La Land's George Pal compilation and I can remember not being impressed with FSM's presentation. While the writing is professional and colorful I can't get into this score on an emotional level. There's a lot of very busy music (which is technically very well done) and a love theme as well but to me it doesn't have much soul. And the goofy time travel music is sooooooo incredibly cheesy. Booooooooooooooooop! Although the end title is beautiful. Sorry Timmer.

-Erik-

Just don't try telling me that Klaus Badelt's score is better or I'll never take anything you say seriously again. tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Goldfinger - John Barry

He loves gold! Classic.

...it's the kiss of death. You're done for!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Just don't try telling me that Klaus Badelt's score is better or I'll never take anything you say seriously again. tongue

Nope. Don't like that one either.

-Erik-