• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2011
    DreamTheater wrote
    GRAND CANYON - JAMES NEWTON HOWARD

Another one of those great early scores by the man I love to death. JNH captured the human story of a bunch of people with their ups and downs in a truly magical and memorable way. The film is also one of my faves of the 90's because it remains a timeless tale about the hardships and joys of life.

The ethereal synth textures in the opening theme is simply drop-dead gorgeous. A fantastic score.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : STAR TREK III : THE SEARCH FOR STEVEN - James Horner

This is the good, un-edited version wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 and Part 2 ~ Alexandre Desplat

Back to back. A couple of emotional and wonderful hours! smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2011 edited
    markrayen wrote
    I'm curious... is it based entirely on original material, or does it use any segments from Elfman, Shirley Walker (the animated series) or Zimmer/Howard?

It's all original Brett music and themes. The only time Brett really references ANYTHING from Elfman's scores is the meowing strings in Catwoman's theme.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    NP: Hugo - Howard Shore

Again. Thematically addictive.
  1. Timmer wrote
    NP : A SYMPHONY OF HOPE : THE HAITI PROJECT - A lot of composers

25 film and TV composers from Nathan Barr to Christopher Young come together for a very worthy project and the result is a very fine and listenable album that I'll return to many times.

YES YES YES !!! I'm loving it too. How it turned out so consistent with so many composers is truly remarkable.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. Timmer wrote
    NP : STAR TREK III : THE SEARCH FOR STEVEN - James Horner

This is the good, un-edited version wink

The search for Steven? Haha! I prefer the Spock version myself. Brilliant Horner!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2011
    Now you mention it, Willow could do with some editing...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    'Stealing The Enterprise' is pretty much a perfect piece of film music. (Though you could easily put it in amongst the Khan score and not interrupt the flow of the album.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2011 edited
    "Stealing the Enterprise" is arguably one of finest scored sequences of all time!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I can't argue with that, it IS sublime!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    That whole scene is one of the best things any Trek film ever did. To a Trek fan like myself, the scene is, well, perfect.

AND NO CGI!!

punk cheesy punk cheesy punk cheesy punk
  3. Red Corner - Thomas Newman

Aside from The Debt, this movie was the closest Newman ever got to scoring a full-on thriller film.
  4. It's also the closest he got to scoring an Asian-centered film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    That whole scene is one of the best things any Trek film ever did. To a Trek fan like myself, the scene is, well, perfect.

AND NO CGI!!

yeah
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

AND NO CGI!!

yeah

"old fashioned" model making when done to the highest standard kicks CGI ass every-fooking-time!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    ...because it's REAL and you know it's real. That's why the opening shot to Star Wars is infinitely more impressive than the CG opening shot to Revenge of the Turd.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Double yeah
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2011 edited
    Not that I'm against CG. It's a filmmaker's tool, and many great things have been done with it (Jurassic Park certainly wouldn't be the same with stop-motion animation). I'm merely against the way that lazy filmmakers rely too heavily on it.

And when it comes to CG animated films, that's a completely different thing!

Just to state the blindingly obvious there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I thought Jurassic Park was animatronic...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote

It is! But it's also CGI, I'm not sure but I think there's more animatronics in that film than CGI?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Scribe wrote

You're kidding, right? uhm

Not that there aren't animatronics in Jurassic Park...
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I suppose I did not think that through with any particular clarity or intelligence...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's okay, I have that very problem when I get to the alcohol isle in my local supermarket.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Or any supermarket for that matter.
  5. And you obviously mean AISLE?

Though an alcohol isle is probably something nobody would mind biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    And you obviously mean AISLE?

Though an alcohol isle is probably something nobody would mind biggrin

biggrin

I think we can forgive Steven this one, it's more of an appropriate Freudian slip. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Home Alone - John Williams

The extended La-La release of this arrived in January, by which time I couldn't bring myself to listen to it - so, it's been sitting there for the rest of the year, finally getting its first airing now. Great music.
  6. Hans Zimmer - Black Hawk Down

Difficult, very difficult music which helps the movie (one of my favourites, as opposed to for example James' opinion) a lot. Relentless, harsh, chaotic. I can imagine it goes very well with however you perceive war.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website