• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: The Awakening - Daniel Pemberton

Mikael and his Screamworks label have got a definite winner with this score from Daniel Pemberton - and I hope that it sells well.

The repeating motif of the main theme is immediately catchy (for my ears) and I like how it features throughout the score. The whole feel of the orchestral sound that the composer uses sounds great for a supernatural thriller. But it is the vocals of the score that's the standout on this one.

As well as the use of solo vocals, I like the use of the chorus in the score. The grandness of the climactic "Chorus de Susticatio" is one of the highlights of the year for me.

I recommend taking a listen to the clips at SAE:

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_det … AWAKENING/
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. gonna check it out Alan, thanks for the heads up
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    gonna check it out Alan, thanks for the heads up

No problem. This is an unusual release as you can have a physical CD on the Screamworks label or you can get it as a digital download from what seems like Daniel Pemberton's own label.

Which explains why, when I made reference to what turned out to be the digital release to Mikael, I didn't receive any response! shame

Sorry, I didn't realise at the time that Screamwork's release was "CD only".
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2011
    yonythemoony wrote
    Steven wrote
    Your point being?

That doesn't matter if it's CGI or a miniature, it's still fake.

face-palm-mt

Okay.
  4. BATTERIES NOT INCLUDED - HORNER

Always delightful in the more up-tempo tracks as well as the more sentimental stuff, with the finale in particular. And I really love these Glenn Miller type arrangements. Great childhood fun.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Always enjoy that score. Horner in Cocoon mode. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Paradiso - Ennio Morricone / Hayley Westenra

Very beautiful album. Morricone has written some of the most truly beautiful music I've ever heard and it works well in this form.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2011
    Glad that you like it, James. spin

Can we expect a movie-wave review?

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2011 edited
    NP : PLAYING BY HEART - John Barry

One of JB's last scores and it's a beauty, Mellow laid back jazz that blends perfectly with the work of Chet Baker also featured on the album.

Late night listening doesn't get much better than this.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Southall wrote

Very beautiful album. Morricone has written some of the most truly beautiful music I've ever heard and it works well in this form.

I absolutely love this album, its one of my favorite discoveries of the year.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Timmer wrote
    NP : PLAYING BY HEART - John Barry

One of JB's last scores and it's a beauty, Mellow laid back jazz that blends perfectly with the work of Chet Baker also featured on the album.

Late night listening doesn't get much better than this.

I've gonna give this a spin tonight I think. Love it. cool
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Puss in Boots (in film) - Henry Jackman

It makes me want to listen to Horner's actual Zorro scores more than take an inspired listen in this score.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Puss In Boots is one of the very best film music albums you will hear this year!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Agreed. A fine, thoroughly enjoyable and fun romp.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Les Miserables - Basil Poledouris

Excellent work done for a fine movie. I ADORE the full sweeping statements of the main theme and lament its short usage within the score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Scribe wrote
    Southall wrote

I absolutely love this album, its one of my favorite discoveries of the year.

Now, I have to get this album. Though I would love an album full of interpretations of Morricone's themes from different artist.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    lp wrote
    NP: Les Miserables - Basil Poledouris

Excellent work done for a fine movie. I ADORE the full sweeping statements of the main theme and lament its short usage within the score.

yeah
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. RED PLANET - GRAEME REVELL & OTHERS

Emma Shapplin's singing does so much for the score cues, there's no denying this is some of Revell's best work in a sea of mediocrity. And I like quite a bit of the songs too, they have a great and unique groove to them.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    RED PLANET - GRAEME REVELL & OTHERS

Emma Shapplin's singing does so much for the score cues, there's no denying this is some of Revell's best work in a sea of mediocrity. And I like quite a bit of the songs too, they have a great and unique groove to them.

Great score, but also a wonderful 'concept album' feel where the songs are perfectly integrated with the Revell material.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Tintin John Williams

I've done a 180° turn on my opinion on this score. Clearly I still haven't learnt that initial listens are very deceptive.
  6. DreamTheater wrote

The recording sessions are better.
  7. Melissa Kaplan did vocals on the "Red Planet" score; did Shapplin do additional vocals?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Great score, but also a wonderful 'concept album' feel where the songs are perfectly integrated with the Revell material.

yeah

A superb late listening album.
  8. justin boggan wrote
    Melissa Kaplan did vocals on the "Red Planet" score; did Shapplin do additional vocals?

Shapplin is credited on 3 score cues, Kaplan only on one.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SPHERE - Elliot Goldenthal

A superb and rarely mentioned score.
  9. TRON LEGACY - DAFT PUNK

punk FRIGGIN' FANTASTIC !!!!! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    NP : SPHERE - Elliot Goldenthal

A superb and rarely mentioned score.

It really is superb, yes. I know that the album only really features music from one half of the film, but I think it's a great one.
  10. I like Sphere too, but I really have to be in the mood for it. That's true for most of Goldenthal scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I agree with the 'mood' thing.

I actually thought SPHERE was a pretty good flick too, a nice 'mind-fuck' film.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    So did I. I thought I was the only one. (Think a lot of Levinson's films are very underrated. And a lot of them have fantastic scores - he seems to just let the composers do their thing without much interference.)