• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2011
    Steven wrote
    Tintin John Williams

I've done a 180° turn on my opinion on this score. Clearly I still haven't learnt that initial listens are very deceptive.

So you finally think it's awesome?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Let's just say I was a very hasty Orkling.

I didn't have the same reaction with War Horse, but it was exactly the kind of thing I was expecting and hoping for. Tintin caught me 'off guard' I suppose, and I was just expecting something... else? Anyway. Yes, it's an excellent score and I'm looking forward to hearing it in the movie.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : QUANTUM OF SOLACE - David Barry

Very good stuff!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. SPHERE gets my vote, score and film. punk
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. Hans Zimmer - Thelma & Louise

I really like this ambient blues score. Melodic, bluesy, harmonious, fun, yet thoughtful. Great atmosphere, pure Ridley Scott approach.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    franz_conrad wrote
    SPHERE gets my vote, score and film. punk

Mine too. Maybe the score helps a lot, but I do like the film very much too.
  3. Jerry Goldsmith - The Russia House

Again in this thread. Just because it's so good. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Random Morricone

A little playlist I just made. Now - "Rabbia e Tarantella" from Allonsanfan, one of the most unique and brilliant pieces of film music I've heard. This guy really is film music's one true genius.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2011
    Southall wrote
    Random Morricone

A little playlist I just made. Now - "Rabbia e Tarantella" from Allonsanfan, one of the most unique and brilliant pieces of film music I've heard. This guy really is film music's one true genius.

I agree! Though I would say that the likes of Barry, Mancini, Legrand, Goldsmith and a tiny handful of others have definitely been touched with genius at times too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Steven wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    SPHERE gets my vote, score and film. punk

Mine too. Maybe the score helps a lot, but I do like the film very much too.

What's this? A movie that isn't a masterpiece and Steven likes it, and I do too? Can somebody wake me up, I must be dreaming !!!! dizzy shocked
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom John Williams

I'm in a Tintin mood, but I don't want to kill it with too many listens.
    I think this will suffice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNeilbucket
    The Rocketeer - James Horner

This might be hyperbole, but this is perhaps one of the top 10 or 20 film scores ever written. Just fantastic from start to finish.
    Insert witty line here
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Days of Heaven - Ennio Morricone

Is this the most beautiful film score of all? Possibly. All the music written for Malick films is terrific but this is truly exceptional.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2011
    Cinema Paradiso - Ennio Morricone

Love this. And it's been too long since I saw the film (in fact, I think I only own it on VHS - and I can't watch those any more).
  5. Ho, ho, ho -- Merry Christmas to me.

I go to my car's trunk where a box of CDs, and some paper work is, and condensation hgad buolt up SO MUCH on the roof of the trunk that is poured like two cups of water in there, on the CDs, ruining the art work in side to such CD's as "Dragonslayer" and "Pony Soldier".

Yep, just another one of those days in my life.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Sorry to hear that, Justin, although I'm also surprised you can afford owning a car while you have no job!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Camelot - Mychael & Jeff Danna

Giving this a second shot (away from the truly epic context it arrived in -Silioto's Nomad, Tiomkin's Fall Of The Roman Empire, Newton Howard's Restoration- against which it stood NO chance of standing out even in the slightest).

This is not bad. Dark, with an oddly ubiquitous oriental slant (yes, I know a bit about medieval music and I know the oriental scales were much in vogue back then, but against polyphonic Romantic chanting and modernistic orchestration it comes off as odd and anachronistic).

Very good choral work, and nothing wrong with the orchestra either, but it's all very polished and "background-ish".
    Great mood setting, enjoyable fare, but nothing really stands out. Even the center piece, the track Be My Light has a very strong "oh no, not another Lord Of The Rings knock-off" feel).
    Even though my assessment has markedly softened since the last listen, I still would have expected more from the Dannas. Something more fetching and thematic. So far, Trevor Morris has nothing to worry about as far as historic TV scoring is concerned.
    So, all in all a solid middle of the road listen, I'd say.

I still absolutely loathe the CD cover, in such a measure that it in fact at this point stops me from actually seeking out the series.
    It looks and feels like bored rich kids in costumes. 90210 for the 8th century.
    If anyone has a review to the contrary, I'll be happy to change my mind.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: A Certain Smile - Alfred Newman

Two CDs is a bit much, but the cleaned up earlier commercial release (minus the song) on CD2 of this beautiful set is an absolute delight for an oldfashioned fogey like myself. Utterly unabashedly lush and romantic, with another one of those lovely, lovely themes Newman so excels at.

Lyrical to the level of syrup (but it's the kind of syrup you can spoonfeed me all day!), this is just utter escapism on a platter, and I frigging love it! It's been too long since I heard some Newman doing what he does best: sweep me off my feet and whisk me back to a musical never-never land.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2011 edited
    Martijn, RE : CAMELOT

THIS is a proper Arthurian casting.

A lot of "period" casting is despairingly aimed at the teen market.

And let us not forget it also starred this LEGEND AMONGST LEGENDS cool ( though dressed in more subtler attire an image of which i could not find )
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: MAD MAX 2: THE ROAD WARRIOR (Brian May)

I've been trying to like this for many years, but it gets a bit too gritty for my taste. I love the melancholy, apocalyptic theme that runs through it, though. The SFX track at the end, I could be without. I adore the film, though.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn, RE : CAMELOT

THIS is a proper Arthurian casting.

A lot of "period" casting is despairingly aimed at the teen market.

And let us not forget it also starred this LEGEND AMONGST LEGENDS cool ( though dressed in more subtler attire an image of which i could not find )

I'm trying to think how many soundtracks I have are from films starring BRIAN BLESSED...

THE LAST VALLEY - John Barry
    HIGH ROAD TO CHINA - John Barry
    STAR WARS : TPM - John Williams
    FLASH GORDON - Queen / Howard Blake
    HENRY V - Patrick Doyle
    ARTHUR OF THE BRITONS ( suite ) - Paul Lewis

...not nearly enough.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

I had to think about that one for a while...

..."Maaaaaaybe weesah bein' freinds."

Right?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

I had to think about that one for a while...

..."Maaaaaaybe weesah bein' freinds."

Right?

thumbsup

:frog:

:toad:

:loud-thing:

slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Kinda looks like this guy.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ang on? Are you thinking about the alien from the planet Rastafarri from the Patronising system?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Kinda looks like this guy.

SPOT ON!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    This guy?
  6. They're still similar.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You're right.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    This guy?

thumbsup ...George's better looking brother.