• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Southall wrote
    Home Alone - John Williams

The extended La-La release of this arrived in January, by which time I couldn't bring myself to listen to it - so, it's been sitting there for the rest of the year, finally getting its first airing now. Great music.

Good to see that you can now turn to this title, James.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. I recall seing a special on Jurassic Park, and there's a scene where a T-rex model malfunctioned and the multi ton model came falling forward toward one the female lead and her scream in the film is her real scream 'cause she thought she was about to bite it.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2011
    justin boggan wrote
    I recall seing a special on Jurassic Park, and there's a scene where a T-rex model malfunctioned and the multi ton model came falling forward toward one the female lead and her scream in the film is her real scream 'cause she thought she was about to bite it.

Thanks for the random post of the day. biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
  3. I like to read the Now Playing posts (to discover new scores), and I saw the discussion on JP dinos and CGI vs. animatronics. Not really random, only about five posts ago.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Oh. A quote would have been useful; I was all into HOME ALONE at this point. smile
    I am extremely serious.
  4. "Home Alone"? Pft -- too busy. Longer than 30 minutes. rolleyes
  5. Howard Shore - The Silence of the Lambs

Good, if difficult and intense score. Works great in the movie.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  6. Steven wrote
    ...because it's REAL and you know it's real. That's why the opening shot to Star Wars is infinitely more impressive than the CG opening shot to Revenge of the Turd.

ROTS has other qualities going for it, I don't even praise it for its effects.

But believe me, I prefer real models & miniatures every day of the week. Because that's where the real craftsmanship in film making of this type lies.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2011 edited
    I honestly don't understand the models versus CGI debate. The models are not real. They didn't build a life-size city of Gondor for Lord of the Rings. There isn't a hangar full of 30 full-size and fully-functional X-Wings. And there's just as much "craftsmanship" involved in making good CGI as there is in any other art. If you've ever tried to 3d-model, it sure ain't easy. I like CGI better simply because it allows artists to realize their vision with much less time and cost than would be possible with the model equivalent, and often it looks much more believable too. CGI Yoda (with the exception of the stupid acrobatic scene) is much more believable than puppet Yoda when seen from beyond the veil of nostalgia. In the end, "suspension of belief because I know its just CGI" is the exact same concept as "suspension of belief because I know its just a miniature", and the only thing that matters to me is which looks cooler and more realistic...most of the time, it's CGI.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Muppet Yoda FTW! FACT!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    To use miniatures and make them convincing looking with other practical / composited effects combined in the image is for me more spectacular looking than any modern purely CGI rendered shot.

I can look at Yoda's final scene in Return of the Jedi and that little puppet moves me to tears, I'm not kidding. It has more life than CGI Yoda ever will.

And is this going slightly off topic or what? I blame me. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  7. Scribe wrote
    I honestly don't understand the models versus CGI debate. The models are not real. They didn't build a life-size city of Gondor for Lord of the Rings. There isn't a hangar full of 30 full-size and fully-functional X-Wings. And there's just as much "craftsmanship" involved in making good CGI as there is in any other art. If you've ever tried to 3d-model, it sure ain't easy. I like CGI better simply because it allows artists to realize their vision with much less time and cost than would be possible with the model equivalent, and often it looks much more believable too. CGI Yoda (with the exception of the stupid acrobatic scene) is much more believable than puppet Yoda when seen from beyond the veil of nostalgia. In the end, "suspension of belief because I know its just CGI" is the exact same concept as "suspension of belief because I know its just a miniature", and the only thing that matters to me is which looks cooler and more realistic...most of the time, it's CGI.

I agree. People tend to whine about CGI without knowing the huge amount of work that it takes to use it in a film.
  8. I can totally accept the CGI takes an enormous amount of work, the modeling, design and what not. It takes real talent to create something from nothing just out of bits and bytes, but that's not the point here.

The fact is that I've become totally used to CGI by now they hardly impress me anymore, except for a few films like Avatar, where they're used to create a totally believable alien world.

But old-school effects from the 70s and 80s always manage to impress me, because of the knowledge what the film guys had to use and limited technology they had to create the images that are stuck forever in my nostalgic mind.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: MOVIE CLASSICS (Ennio Morricone/Hugo Montenegro)

Nice spaghetti western compilation (even though THE MAN FROM UNCLE and THE BATTLE OF ALGIERS streches the definition!) . It was a cheap budget release, so well worth the money.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Scribe wrote

Models are real though. They're just a bit smaller than what they would be in real life!

And CGI Yoda more believable than puppet Yoda? Are you high? uhm confused

yonythemoony wrote

I agree. People tend to whine about CGI without knowing the huge amount of work that it takes to use it in a film.

Nope, I know exactly how much effort goes into making CGI. In fact I love the artform, I love CG animated films, good CG effects and clever use of CG. What I don't like is the over-reliance on it. It just isn't special anymore. It's up to the filmmakers to do something clever with it (Inception for example).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote
    To use miniatures and make them convincing looking with other practical / composited effects combined in the image is for me more spectacular looking than any modern purely CGI rendered shot.

I can look at Yoda's final scene in Return of the Jedi and that little puppet moves me to tears, I'm not kidding. It has more life than CGI Yoda ever will.

yeah
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE PAINTED VEIL - Alexandre Desplat

Good easy listening for a Sunday evening.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    There isn't a hangar full of 30 full-size and fully-functional X-Wings.

Of course they aren't fully functional but in Star Wars they did build full size X-Wings, snowspeeders and a full size Millennium Falcon in a gigantic full size hanger! I'll even take a hand drawn matte painting over a digital one. However, I will say that some of the most impressive CGI effects work I've ever seen was in Zodiac. It's films like that were you don't even known that CGI are being used that impresses me more so than any digital effect in something like Lord of the Rings.

Scribe wrote
    And there's just as much "craftsmanship" involved in making good CGI as there is in any other art. If you've ever tried to 3d-model, it sure ain't easy. I like CGI better simply because it allows artists to realize their vision with much less time and cost than would be possible with the model equivalent, and often it looks much more believable too.

You're right... it's a short cut. While I agree that a lot of hard work and craftsmanship goes into anything in the effects world, a practical effect, at least to me, if far more believable that a CGI rendering.

Scribe wrote
    CGI Yoda (with the exception of the stupid acrobatic scene) is much more believable than puppet Yoda when seen from beyond the veil of nostalgia.

False in every way, shape and form!

THIS easily blows away that terribly rendered CGI Yoda in the prequels.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  9. Steven wrote
    And CGI Yoda more believable than puppet Yoda? Are you high? uhm confused

On the internet, only on the internet.
  10. CGI or miniature it's still fake.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Your point being?
  11. Timmer wrote
    NP : THE PAINTED VEIL - Alexandre Desplat

Good easy listening for a Sunday evening.

That's a bit off topic don't you think?

No, wait. Sorry! wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Erik Woods wrote
    THIS easily blows away that terribly rendered CGI Yoda in the prequels.

I didn't think the CGI Yoda was too terrible, but I do agree that Puppet Yoda >>> CGI Yoda. I do enjoy CGI, but it nearly always looks too unreal, compared to the often clever and inventive effects of movies from the 70s, 80s and 90s. Perhaps it's the slight imperfections that make puppets and models so much more realistic, even if you only notice them subconciously. Puppet Yoda's wobbly ears for instance give away that it's real.

Peter smile
  12. Old George corrected one thing though, in TPM by replacing that silly looking Yoda puppet by computer animation. It doesn't have that ridiculous grin anymore and looks less out of place in the council scenes, and for that I am glad.

If you want to see the new Yoda go here and search for 'Digital Yoda'.
  13. Steven wrote
    Your point being?

That doesn't matter if it's CGI or a miniature, it's still fake.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    yonythemoony wrote
    Steven wrote
    Your point being?

I'm pretty sure that we're all aware of the fact that Star wars isn't a documentary. The issue under discussion is about what looks most realistic, not what is real.

Peter smile
  14. Conrad Pope - Pavillon of Women

Beautiful and exquisite.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  15. plindboe wrote
    yonythemoony wrote
    Steven wrote
    Your point being?

I'm pretty sure that we're all aware of the fact that Star wars isn't a documentary. The issue under discussion is about what looks most realistic, not what is real.

Peter smile

Thank god he cleared that up for me -- I was reading to go on my Yoda proving expeidition. Dear lord, does that mean Jar Jar Binks isn't real either?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I wouldn't want to live in a world where Jar Jar Binks was real.

Peter slant
  16. plindboe wrote
    I wouldn't want to live in a world where Jar Jar Binks was real.

Peter slant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub8AIZ9t … ed#t=6m32s