• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Jerry Goldsmith - First Blood

The Intrada version (thanks, Erik!). One of the positively angriest scores I've heard in my life (I knew the Varese release before). The emotions in the score are just plain brilliant. A lot has been said about the beautiful main theme Jerry gave the movie, but I think much has to be said for the combination of desperation, fear and anger that is a huge part of the story.

I've heard Jerry talking about Rambo during a concert (had a recording). The score is totally Stallone's vision ("you don't argue with Rambo!") and Stallone after seeing the first cut of the movie begged them to cut half of his performance (to the benefit of the film). Basically what Goldsmith had to do, I think, is write a psychological portrait of the scared, pushed John Rambo. And it works brilliantly as that. I know that the second score is the more popular one, partly due to the fun factor of it, but artistically this one is THE Rambo score. It's really my favourite of the lot.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2011
    Completely agree with your sentiments and analysis, Pawel.
    It's one of the reasons this score is not just (by FAR) my favourite Rambo score, but for me a top 3 Goldsmith score overall. With the emotional wallop it packs, I really think it's that good.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2011 edited
    I far prefer RAMBO II but you did indeed nail it in your analysis of FIRST BLOOD Pawel, I think it's a superb score but the fun factor in Part II is more my cuppa.

I don't think any of JG's Rambo scores would break my top 10 JG scores but that's just an example of just how high the quality of his output was.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. I just read the wikipedia article on the First Blood movie and I like how they qualified it as a psychological thriller.

My favourite listening experience of the three is really part III, because of how diverse that score is and the melodic/dramatic Afghanistan material is just exquisite.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2011
    I like the score as a whole, but mostly for the "It's a Long Road" theme. At one level, it obviously denotes Rambo's solitude and melancholy. But on the other hand, it's also a brilliant portrayal of autumn-covered, drizzly forests and mountainscapes like few others have managed before or since -- perhaps with the exception of Badalamenti's TWIN PEAKS. There's just SOMETHING about it that makes it one of my absolute favourite JG themes.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Because melody-wise it IS one of his very best themes. Putting it in his top 10 at least (if not top 5) is a no-brainer to me.
  4. PawelStroinski wrote

My favourite listening experience of the three is really part III, because of how diverse that score is and the melodic/dramatic Afghanistan material is just exquisite.

I need to give First Blood another listen (I don't even own the score, I know shoot me now !!!), but Rambo III is the one where not a single minute is wasted and as Pawel says it, it is also one of my favourite Goldsmiths purely as a listening experience.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. Timmer wrote
    I don't think any of JG's Rambo scores would break my top 10 JG scores but that's just an example of just how high the quality of his output was.

That's a great point that a score that is that good still does not make into a Top 10 Jerry Goldsmith list. For me, Rambo II may make into my Top 10 Goldsmith scores.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2011 edited
    I had a good long listen to CUTTHROAT ISLAND 2-disc release, and while I had a ball with Debney at his most fanfaristic and swashbuckling and fun, as I always do, I will not get this one and hold on to my nu.millennia release as it really has all the greatest moments and the downtime between all the awesomeness is reduced to a strict minimum. I'm so used to the fantastic one disc presentation, I'm now convinced the longer release is not the better listening experience.

Who agrees with me?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Agree in practise and on principle.
    It is VERY rare for such a massively complete release to offer the same thrill to me as a highlights CD.

The simple reason is that any highlights album offers all "5 star" cues, and therefore is a much more satisfying listen to me than a "complete" that offers every single tootle composed, and simply statistically therefore also contains quite a few less than stellar tracks.

In this particular instance I thought the original release -which is just absolutely lovely!- was more than long and satisfying enough, so I never even considered picking up the 2 CD version.

I would be interested to learn what insights Thor will have to offer on this particular subject?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2011
    It's rare that I prefer listening to the complete score over its album presentation, but what a complete release does is allow you to make your perfect album. The 2 disc CutThroat Island has a few cues I'm glad I got to hear, particularly the 17 minute battle music. Admittedly not all scores are worth the effort, but sometimes an album will be missing some truly great cues only available in the complete version.

Avatar is a particularly good example. Although the idea of listening to 3 or 5 discs of alternate versions and various uninteresting cues is not something I relish, I'm glad it was 'released' since it allowed me to make a much better album than the official one. But it depends on how good the score is and how familiar you are with it. In most cases, it's better to trust the people who make the albums in the first place. Complete releases of every score would be a disaster (unless they also came with an album presentation, in which case that would be a great thing).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    As much as I'm a fan of the Horner, I've not thought of making an Avatar album to my own preference yet and I doubt I ever will. It's not a score I love enough to expand upon it. The official album is all I need.

But when Hook complete comes around (rumours suggest it will), I will cherish every single minute of it. One of the exceptions where more is better, personally speaking. But that's easy because the quality of the yet unreleased cues is staggering.
  6. THE LEGEND OF ZORRO - JAMES HORNER

It doesn't beat the original in the fun department, not by a longshot.

But my god, the end of the album is bloody awesome. This is the kind of Horner I don't mind hearing more often. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote
    THE LEGEND OF ZORRO - JAMES HORNER

I think it does. It doesn't beat the emotional narrative of the first one though.
  7. The Train is an action masterpiece. Even with the John Williams rip-offs in the end of it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote
    As much as I'm a fan of the Horner, I've not thought of making an Avatar album to my own preference yet and I doubt I ever will. It's not a score I love enough to expand upon it. The official album is all I need.

I find the idea of not loving the score to Avatar unfathomable.
    Truly.
  8. Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    THE LEGEND OF ZORRO - JAMES HORNER

I think it does. It doesn't beat the emotional narrative of the first one though.

IMO Mask had the action, adventure and emotion extremely well balanced, making for a better listen than Legend. I still like Legend a lot for providing us more of the same, it's just not as memorable and exciting, not all of it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    what a complete release does is allow you to make your perfect album.

True.

But it depends on how good the score is and how familiar you are with it.

True.

In most cases, it's better to trust the people who make the albums in the first place.

True.

Complete releases of every score would be a disaster (unless they also came with an album presentation, in which case that would be a great thing).

True.

How boring. I agree with every single thing you said.
    Can't you start some sort of argument over at the religion thread?
  9. Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Truly.

Must be a generation thing... give me any of his older classics over this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Agree in practise and on principle.
    It is VERY rare for such a massively complete release to offer the same thrill to me as a highlights CD.

The simple reason is that any highlights album offers all "5 star" cues, and therefore is a much more satisfying listen to me than a "complete" that offers every single tootle composed, and simply statistically therefore also contains quite a few less than stellar tracks.

In this particular instance I thought the original release -which is just absolutely lovely!- was more than long and satisfying enough, so I never even considered picking up the 2 CD version.

I would be interested to learn what insights Thor will have to offer on this particular subject?

wink

I have the Silva version of CUTTHROAT and that's all I ever need. In fact, even that is a bit too bombastic and grating after 40-50 minutes.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. I could see this coming from a mile away. cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Truly.

Aaaaaaaah!
    THANK YOU!
    Completely disagree! biggrin

I find Avatar to be pedestrian at best. It offeres nothing new to me. Nothing emotional.
    Nothing much interesting even.

Don't get me wrong! It's not a bad score! Not at ALL!
    But there's not a single point in the entirety of the score that actually grabs me.

Maybe this comes back too the earlier point you made about familiarity.
    I didn't think the film was all that good. Technologically it hit everything out of the ball park. And visually it was one of the finest things ever on screen. But I found the story to be banal, and the characters uninteresting. I'm sure that doesn't help in my appraisal of the score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Fuck you!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote

Must be a generation thing...

Nope. It's a I like good music thing! [/smug]
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Fuck you!

Why do I ALWAYS get that from the WRONG sex? sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    PawelStroinski wrote
    The Train is an action masterpiece. Even with the John Williams rip-offs in the end of it.

The Willlams moments may be due to the Conrad Pope 'influence' on this particular cue. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Fuck you!

LOL! biggrin

By the way, I adore AVATAR and think it's one of -- if not THE best -- score Horner ever did. But I wouldn't want an expansion if you threw it at me. In fact, the existing soundtrack could have done with some trimming, esp. in the heavy action cues.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    My version actually includes some edits of the album tracks. I've shorted a few tracks, and then added a few from the promos. So although it's longer than the album by a few minutes, there's not a single dull moment to be heard (in my not so humble opinion).

Not having 'Quaritch Down' on the album is a criminal offence. (It's also nice to end the album with the end credits tracks, which is basically 'Jake's First Flight' and 'Gathering The Na'Vi Clans For Battle' edited into one 3:32 minute track.)

The version I made is the definitive version.
    Fact.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    I find Avatar to be pedestrian at best. It offeres nothing new to me. Nothing emotional.
    Nothing much interesting even.

Don't get me wrong! It's not a bad score! Not at ALL!
    But there's not a single point in the entirety of the score that actually grabs me.

yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  11. NP: Chillerama: Zom-B-Movie - Bear McCreary

"Hate" is such a strong word that I don't tend to use it much. So, I detest this score intensely.

Cheap, cheesy synths, annoying drum pads, meandering underscore and some so-so songs (yes, the songs may be the best there is here). From reading some of the reviews for the movie, the score sounds like it will fit the film like a glove.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn