• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2011 edited
    WP : LA GUERRE DU FEU ( QUEST FOR FIRE ) - Philippe Sarde

A fantastic score, the LSO, full choir...AWESOME!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2011
    Timmer wrote

You've convinced me!
  1. Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

You've convinced me!

It's an okay score.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Everything from - Lorne Balfe

Very promising composer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    It's an okay score.

You've convinced me!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Star Trek V: The Final Frontier Jerry Goldsmith

I'm on a serious Goldsmith high at the moment, and this is definitely stopping me from going cold turkey!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote

yeah x 100!
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Cuore Sacro - Andrea Guerra

Beautiful stuff. Again a strong Armstrong-esque, predominantly piano driven, introspective work from Guerra. I'm just a sucker for that semi-classical sound augmented by percussion. Beautiful themes, a rich yet quiet orchestration. Very soothing, very lovely.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Martijn wrote
    NP: Cuore Sacro - Andrea Guerra

Beautiful stuff. Again a strong Armstrong-esque, predominantly piano driven, introspective work from Guerra. I'm just a sucker for that semi-classical sound augmented by percussion. Beautiful themes, a rich yet quiet orchestration. Very soothing, very lovely.

Intrigued. Will look for this score later.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

You've convinced me!

If you like good scores with more than a bit of meat on the bones ( and I know you do ) then this is a good cerebral score to wrap your ears around. 1981 was one helluva year for fabulous film scores.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Noted!

War Horse John Williams

I love this score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Damien: Omen II - Jezza G

Not spoken about nearly as frequently as the scores either side of it in the trilogy - and there's a good reason for that - but it's still mighty fine!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Damien: Omen II - Jezza G

Not spoken about nearly as frequently as the scores either side of it in the trilogy - and there's a good reason for that - but it's still mighty fine!

I think it's great! It does seem underrated...or at least underplayed. I need to play this again soon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Steven wrote
    Star Trek V: The Final Frontier Jerry Goldsmith

I'm on a serious Goldsmith high at the moment, and this is definitely stopping me from going cold turkey!

Dude, you gotta love riding that "Goldsmith high". I remember my first Goldsmith was"free". I never looked back! wink
    Seriously though, I played STV: The Final Frontier earlier and enjoyed every fun-filled moment of it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Natural - Randy Newman

Most, if not all, of the great American film composers have at some point turned their hand to Copland-inspired Americana but I don't think any has pulled it off with quite such exquisite skill as demonstrated in this score. A musical representation of the American dream, were I to hail from that country then it would make me swell with patriotic pride every time I heard it. I'm not, but I almost do anyway. Its picture-postcard beauty is brilliant... no, perfect. One of the greats.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2011 edited
    This is rather tangential, but I honestly do not understand why the emotions generated by so-called "Americana" music, should be associated with any particular country. Does America have some kind of exclusive right to the warm, joy-of-living swell of beauty that such music evokes? I think not. I think its quite the silliest genre name in all of genre-dom.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2011
    The key words are "Copland-inspired Americana."

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Well, I was listening to an audiop interview with Aaron Copland from a long while back, and he was talking about how Europe symphonic music had a distinctive sound which implied it's sovereignty, and wondered why American couldn't have it's own distinctive sound; and he answered that his own ponderance by making the style now mimiced by other composers; listen to a bunch of Copland pieces, for example, and you can hear compositional inspirations from parts of Horner's score to "the Journey of Natty Gann".

And, on the other side: why not? Every nation has it's own kind of music style associated with it.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    The key words are "Copland-inspired Americana."

-Erik-

Indeed! It's as intrinsic as say Vaughan Williams or Elgar are to England or Prokofiev and Shostakovitch to Russia etc etc.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    George Gershwin is another influence in a very American sound.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Of course, "Americana" as we've come to know is itself of European origins, as the various folk music traditions of the immigrants were incorporated into the common musical traditions, both in art music and popular music.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm not playing anything and by the looks of it neither is anyone else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'm actually about to play the extended 1941. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Is it good or is it an extension too long?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The sound quality is ACE, and there is some VERY good music in there that is not on the official release or on the bootleg. But with its hectic style it IS too long. But with some judicious editing an excellent 50 minute album is in there!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Overall the presentation of La La Land's 1941 is brilliant. Jim Titus is an incredible artist and should be used on all La La Land products. That being said, having listened to this new presentation I found that there was something "missing" from the remastered tracks. It could be just me but I've pumped this and the old Varese CD through my lovely Paradigm speakers at equal EQ setting (flat) and volume to find that the La La Land version has been slightly stripped of some bass. The remastering sounds a bit "thin" for the lack of a better word. Those low brass blasts of the main 1941 rhythm don't have the same power as the Varese mix. For example, listen to the album presentation of "The Invasion" at the 4:51 mark.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I think that possibly that has to do with the clean-up job? The sound *is* a lot clearer!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I don't even know about that. The sound was just fine to begin with!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: BLOODSPORT (Paul Hertzog)

Awesome synth score! I could never figure out what they shout, though? "Ho-teh! Ho-teh! Ho-teh!"??
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Game of Thrones Ramin Dujaidhudqwiduqwhatever

There's a fairly decent 30 minute album in this 67 minute album. The theme is very good though!