• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2011
    The Core Christopher Young

Apart from The Shipping News, I've never really been a fan of Young's music, and this is no exception. I thought I'd give it a try since it gets positive reviews and hype, and although it has its moments and is all rather dramatic and exciting, I'm just not a fan of Young's style. It's hard to explain, but I just find it too... brash? The way he uses uses choir really grates with me. Can't stand it.

Nah, pass.
  1. Speed Racer was a migraine for me. If MI:GP is anything like that I fear I will not enjoy it much.

Southall wrote
    Arthur Christmas - HGW

A rival to Puss in Boots for most entertainingly derivative film score of the year (but not quite so blatant in its temp-track love).

Wow! Good news.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Steven wrote

Apart from The Shipping News, I've never really been a fan of Young's music, and this is no exception. I thought I'd give it a try since it gets positive reviews and hype, and although it has its moments and is all rather dramatic and exciting, I'm just not a fan of Young's style. It's hard to explain, but I just find it too... brash? The way he uses uses choir really grates with me. Can't stand it.

Nah, pass.

I understand what you're trying to say. I think the only score of Mr Young that managed to sustain my interest is Hard Rain, but that was heavily influenced by the temp score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    HOME ALONE 2 (John Williams)

Continuing from above (and in case there was any doubt....these are of course the original albums, not the expansions).

Really? That's not like you Thor!?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

Nah, pass.

I didn't know your views on Young. I learn something new every day.

p.s. I don't care for THE CORE either but I do like a lot of Young's scores, THE SHIPPING NEWS is indeed superb!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    HOME ALONE 2 (John Williams)

Continuing from above (and in case there was any doubt....these are of course the original albums, not the expansions).

Really? That's not like you Thor!?

Everyone knows my view on C&C, but in this case it's even more important -- basically because I think of these less as film scores and more as orchestral Christmas albums (with songs and carols interspersed).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

I didn't know your views on Young. I learn something new every day.

p.s. I don't care for THE CORE either but I do like a lot of Young's scores, THE SHIPPING NEWS is indeed superb!

I'm open to suggestions! (Bear in mind his use of choir, at least in a lot of his recent scores, makes me want to peel my own skin off.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Artist - Ludovic Bource

One of the finest scores you'll hear all year!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Mission: Impossible 4 - Giacchino

Well, nobody could accuse it of being too short. I'm about half way through it and it feels like it's been playing since last Tuesday. Hard going, this one, doesn't seem nearly as good as his last one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I agree!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2011
    Southall wrote
    Mission: Impossible 4 - Giacchino

Well, nobody could accuse it of being too short. I'm about half way through it and it feels like it's been playing since last Tuesday. Hard going, this one, doesn't seem nearly as good as his last one.

Agree.

And it's weird, since it has a lot of things that I like : electric guitars, russian chorus, indian vocals, electronic bits...
    It's all of these so disjointed.
    What it surprises me is this kind of scores use to follow a failed movie. But M:I4 seems a real winner. Weird.
  2. I'm sure it must have a bad chronological order, or in the film it gets better,
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I'm going to avoid it until I see the movie. I can spend ages going through re-arranging an album for the perfect listen but once I've seen the film I often find it odd not to listen to it in chronological order.

Here's hoping it seems disappointing only because of how good MI:III was.
  3. lp wrote
    Steven wrote

Nah, pass.

I understand what you're trying to say. I think the only score of Mr Young that managed to sustain my interest is Hard Rain, but that was heavily influenced by the temp score.

Hard Rain suffers from a very monotonous sound, a couple of good early cues, but its goodness soon wears off. Can't say I'm a big fan of The Core either. But there are a few really great tracks.

Young scores that I do appreciate a lot: The Fly II, Hellraiser I and II, Murder in the First and Priest.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. NP: Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close - Desplat

Another example that some of the best scores, are the ones made in a very short amount of time (Desplat wrote, recorded this score in just three weeks).

The main theme sounds like a blend between the main theme of New Moon, and the Lovegood theme from Deathly Hallows Part 1.

It's sounds so classic that, even when Desplat uses his trademark synth pulse, it's mixed so well with the orchestra.

Though it has some temp track influence. Oskar's Monologue sounds like one of the themes from La Fille Du Puisatier.

And it's nice to finally hear a End Credits suite made by Desplat.
  5. Three weeks 'cause he replaced another score.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  6. I know. He replaced Nico Muhly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2011 edited
    STAR TREK FIRST CONTACT - JERRY THE MAN AND JOEL THE CO-MAN

The unofficial expanded score, but it might as well have been official, it's THAT well put together. It's times like these I really do miss that awesome Goldsmith sound. punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  7. And Joel, don't forget Joel. He was co-man.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  8. yonythemoony wrote
    NP: Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close - Desplat
    Though it has some temp track influence. Oskar's Monologue sounds like one of the themes from La Fille Du Puisatier.

That's cool, because I loved La Fille Du Puisatier.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2011 edited
    NP: THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS (Danny Elfman)

Probably the album I've listened to the most times after JURASSIC PARK over the years.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNeilbucket
    NP: Alice in Wonderland - Danny Elfman

I heard a track from this on Erik's radio show and picked it up right away. This is the best that Elfman has been (to me) in quite some time. That opening track is addictive.

Thanks again Erik for encouraging me to spend more money!
    Insert witty line here
  9. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    yonythemoony wrote
    NP: Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close - Desplat

That's cool, because I loved La Fille Du Puisatier.

Yep. It's the theme in Rendez-Vous Manqué, Depart Pour La Guerre and La Fille Perdue. But with a much more emotional sound.
  10. yonythemoony wrote
    I know. He replaced Nico Muhly.

And indeed, one of the themes recalls Muhly's READER score a little.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  11. justin boggan wrote
    And Joel, don't forget Joel. He was co-man.

You are right. It's fixed !
  12. John Williams - War Horse

Great score, I really like it. On my website I gave it 4/5. Sadly, the review is in Polish only.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  13. TOYS - HANS ZIMMER

Something a lot different from Goldsmith, but I've enjoyed this early Zimmer a lot. I had forgotten the majority of the tunes, it must've been 10 years at least since I last listened to the album. This time it's the expanded score and songs, though sadly it's missing the mega-cool 'Frankie Goes to Hollywood' track, however even without it I managed to reminisce about the good old days when Hans put some uber-positive vibes and loveliness into his melodies, simple as they were constructed. But It's that simplicity that puts a big smile on my face to be honest. Rarely he does that to me anymore.
  14. I don't like Toys to put it delicately. I actually don't like most of Hans' earliest scores, with some very notable exceptions, like, particularly Backdraft, Driving Miss Daisy and this:

Hans Zimmer - The House of the Spirits

cool

Timmer might like that one. It's out of print though.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    You're right Pawel, I do like and enjoy that one. cool
  15. Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol

Fun score with a lot of cool Schifrin references. The story seemingly takes place all around the world, so the ethnic references are all over the place (Arabic, Russian - with a fully blown choral theme - and Indian). And it's so stylish and more melodic than part three.

Giacchino should be given a shot on a Bond movie!