• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2011
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Jerry Goldsmith - Tora! Tora! Tora!

Finally got the La-la Land release in my hand. I always loved this score, so well thought-out, suspenseful, just brilliantly written. One of my most favourite Jerry Goldsmith scores.

Is there are noticable difference in sound quality?

PawelStroinski wrote
    Very excited to read Julie Kirgo's liner notes, which will probably top the liner notes on the original FSM release (I read scans of that one).

What was wrong with the FSM notes? I thought Jeff Bond's notes were excellent!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    NP: GREMLINS 2 (Jerry Goldsmith)

One of the few JG scores in which the electronics don't bother me too much. A good listen.

Superb score and probably the best score Goldsmith wrote for a Dante film.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Jerry Goldsmith - Tora! Tora! Tora!

Finally got the La-la Land release in my hand. I always loved this score, so well thought-out, suspenseful, just brilliantly written. One of my most favourite Jerry Goldsmith scores.

Is there are noticable difference in sound quality?

PawelStroinski wrote
    Very excited to read Julie Kirgo's liner notes, which will probably top the liner notes on the original FSM release (I read scans of that one).

What was wrong with the FSM notes? I thought Jeff Bond's notes were excellent!

-Erik-

Since I have only MP3s of the FSM release, I can't really tell about the sound quality difference. I know that the program is the same.

The Lala notes give me more insight into the filmmaking process with some really nice quotes from Richard Fleischer, but really to get an idea what it really is, I have to compare and probably - for a review - use both.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: GREMLINS 2 (Jerry Goldsmith)

One of the few JG scores in which the electronics don't bother me too much. A good listen.

Superb score and probably the best score Goldsmith wrote for a Dante film.

-Erik-

On the same level as The 'Burbs for me. Both are 300 % fun. Jerry was THE master of fun.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. Pawel, regarding the notes on Tora! Tora! Tora! and the "film-making process", do you mean there is an significant amount of space not about the music?

I am always disappointed when there is too little space talking about the music.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. The relation between music and movie description is about 50/50. Gone is the track by track analysis that Jeff Bond did back in the FSM release, added are some quotes regarding production and some quotes from Goldsmith about the general process of film scoring, which, for me, adds a lot to my knowledge about his work philosophy.

All in all though, I am glad to have the score in a CD form, because back when FSM released (and sold out) their edition, I couldn't get it also because I had no idea about such releases at the time. And now I do have it and I am very happy about it.
  5. SMILLA'S SENSE OF SNOW - HARRY GREGSON-WILLIAMS & HANS ZIMMER

I got this way back, remember not being overly impressed, but as the years have passed everytime I return to it there's a special ambience that is created that I like. Very low key, yet it always keeps my attention the whole way through.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2011 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Gone is the track by track analysis that Jeff Bond did back in the FSM release,

Major downgrade!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Voyage To The Bottom of the Sea/Sawtell and Shefter
    listen to more classical music!
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Gone is the track by track analysis that Jeff Bond did back in the FSM release,

Major downgrade!

-Erik-

I agree with that. I love track-by-track analyses!

I received in the post today Wolfen (Intrada) and Fat Man and Little Boy (La-La Land). I had a quick look at the booklet: major track-by-track analysis in the latter and the usual essay-style notes from Intrada.

Extra punk to La-La Land Records!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. Oh, tell me how Wolfen is, I'm going to order it and I hope it's an improvement on the bootleg, sound and presentation-wise.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Np: The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn, Pt. 1 - Carter Burwell

Meh! I'm thinking of turning this one off shortly. It just seems so.... insincere... if that makes any sense.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Silver Bells - Mark McKenzie

Kinda what I need right now. And lovely little score - perfect for this time of year - written by an under appreciated composer.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik Woods wrote
    Mark McKenzie
    an under appreciated composer.

....not by me!!! smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  8. Bregje wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: King Arthur - Hans Zimmer

Listening to "Woad To Ruin" at the moment. I had forgotten just how good this track is - and it's a long Zimmer cue that hold the attention throughout!

punk

At the risk of repeating myself, have you tried the Prague version? It's 7:00 and I really like that one too:
    http://youtu.be/Ceoavc2qIX8

I am now listening to Korzeniowski's W.E here
    http://twcguilds.com/film/we#score
    and I love it!!
    cheesy

Whilst I was over at the linked site above I came across Ilan Eshkeri's score for Coriolanus:

http://twcguilds.com/film/coriolanus#score

It's very percussion dominated, but it sounds really good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Home Alone - John Williams

Watched the movie for the umpteenth million time a few days ago. It's not Christmas season until I've seen one of the first two Home Alone films. Williams score is a Christmas staple in my house hold. While this score is fantastic and probably one of the finest seasonal scores ever written I actually prefer the sequel score.

This new La La Land expanded edition is an excellent presentation of the score (I miss the songs though - thank goodness I kept the original release) which is just a lot of slap slick, goofy, mischievous fun surrounded by a lot of heart and Christmas spirit!

"Star Of Bethlehem" is probably one of Williams' most under appreciated themes! And there are about a half dozen new themes in this score alone.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Np: The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn, Pt. 1 - Carter Burwell

Meh! I'm thinking of turning this one off shortly. It just seems so.... insincere... if that makes any sense.

-Erik-

Shut up, I bet you can't wait to see the film tongue
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Conan The Barbarian Basil Poledouris

Rather pleasant.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Conan The Barbarian Basil Poledouris

Rather pleasant.

biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn - John Williams

Fandangingly awesome! Jesus H. Epic Christ! How can anyone not love "Escape From The Karaboudjan" and "Sir Francis And The Unicorn." 8 and half minutes of pure Williams awesomeness!!! Finding a new love for "Red Rackhams Curse And The Treasure."

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn - John Williams

Fandangingly awesome! Jesus H. Epic Christ! How can anyone not love "Escape From The Karaboudjan" and "Sir Francis And The Unicorn." 8 and half minutes of pure Williams awesomeness!!! Finding a new love for "Red Rackhams Curse And The Treasure."

-Erik-

I didn't at first. But as I said elsewhere, it's starting to grow on me.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Tintin was love at first listen!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    You know, the Tintin album really benefits from a really LOUD listen! I know this doesn't help you, Thor, but with Shawn Murphy's dynamic recording, pumping up the volume allows you to really feel the thud of the bass drum and timpani along with the spine-tingling vibrations from the bells of the trombones while at the same time picking up every single nuance of Williams' spectacular orchestrations especially with what he is does with the woodwinds throughout the score. Absolutely masterful writing!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: War Horse - John Williams

Not as fond of the entire album like I am with Tintin so I've only selected the cues that I really, really like!

Basically I have a 30 minute playlist highlighted by the last 5 extraordinary tracks.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Iron Lady - T Newman

It seems somehow appropriate to be listening to this given the last 24 hours' European shenanigans. It's a very strong score - eclectic, as Newman often is, shifting about all over the place - some is a bit Desplatian (I'm surprised he didn't score the film!) but most is very Newmanian, full of little figures and unusual instrumentation. The very "electric" sound to some of it is a surprise, but it works. And who could fail to love a score with track titles like "Fiscal Responsibility" and "Community Charge"?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2011 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    You know, the Tintin album really benefits from a really LOUD listen! I know this doesn't help you, Thor, but with Shawn Murphy's dynamic recording, pumping up the volume allows you to really feel the thud of the bass drum and timpani along with the spine-tingling vibrations from the bells of the trombones while at the same time picking up every single nuance of Williams' spectacular orchestrations especially with what he is does with the woodwinds throughout the score. Absolutely masterful writing!

-Erik-

Oh yes, but let's be honest, Sir Francis And The Unicorn aside, Pursuit Of The Falcon is the best track. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2011
    I am being honest! Pursuit Of The Falcon is awesome but the high adventure of "Sir Francis And The Unicorn" beats anything Williams penned this year!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    No Man's Land is my contender for best Williams track of the year. But Sir Francis is fantastic too!

I love both scores though, and I can't really compare them. They're the perfect antithesis to each other.
  9. Jerry Goldsmith - Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

The original release. I bought it during my trip to Paris, so I am emotionally connected to it. Good score and one of those I own, so I'm keeping with my Goldsmith mood.

He is so missed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Erik Woods wrote
    I am being honest! Pursuit Of The Falcon is awesome but the high adventure of "Sir Francis And The Unicorn" beats anything Williams penned this year!

-Erik-

You have intrigued me very very much Erik! So much I've gone and bought it! I will be listening to it later today! smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...