• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2011
    Damn!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. War Horse

Stunning, Stunning, Stunning! Have not been able to stop listening to this since I got it last week. Incredibly emotional music beautifully orchestrated!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    yeah

I'm looking forward to hearing/seeing how it works in the film (as well as looking forward to the film itself wink), particularly 'No Man's Land' which is, according to Spielberg, one of most technically challenging shots he's ever created.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    John Chambers wrote
    War Horse

Stunning, Stunning, Stunning! Have not been able to stop listening to this since I got it last week. Incredibly emotional music beautifully orchestrated!

I ordered this weeks ago from play.com, but it's obviously the Christmas rush or something, because it hasn't arrived yet.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Wait a minute....I just pre-ordered something that is to be released on January 12 next year! Yikes! I wonder if I can cancel and order from an American vendor or something.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Wait a minute....I just pre-ordered something that is to be released on January 12 next year! Yikes! I wonder if I can cancel and order from an American vendor or something.

I'm just being patient, waiting 30+ years for expanded John Barry, James Bond scores taught me that.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    yeah

I'm looking forward to hearing/seeing how it works in the film (as well as looking forward to the film itself wink), particularly 'No Man's Land' which is, according to Spielberg, one of most technically challenging shots he's ever created.

Yeah, I really want to see this film too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Thor wrote

You should be able to cancel the order up until it ships.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorNeilbucket
    NP: Goldfinger - John Barry

I have been watching the Bond movies in order - I am up to OHMSS - Bond rules!

This is perhaps Barry's best Bond score, it is just terrific with a sense of thrill and fun all at once!
    Insert witty line here
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: REAL STEEL (Danny Elfman)

I like it. Has a little bit of his beautiful drama sound as well as some cool action licks. He DOES channell Remote Control in a couple of cues, though (the "Twin Cities" ones).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2011
    Shuffling through tracks. On comes "The Silver of the Mine" from Nostromo.

This is my single favourite piece of film music.

That's right - I'll say it loud.

This is my single favourite piece of film music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Nothing wrong with that. A lovely, lovely piece of work from one of my all time favourite Morricones. love
    Made even more enjoyable while partaking of a bit of port.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bit early for port, is it not? Now, beer on the other hand...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Early?
    It's eleven.
    That's late.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Film Music of Clifton Parker Rumon Gamba & The BBC Philharmonic

These Chandos film music compilation albums are fantastic, and brilliant for people like me who have very little knowledge of these lesser known older scores.

Brilliant recordings, brilliant performances and brilliant music.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    The Film Music of Clifton Parker Rumon Gamba & The BBC Philharmonic

These Chandos film music compilation albums are fantastic, and brilliant for people like me who have very little knowledge of these lesser known older scores.

Brilliant recordings, brilliant performances and brilliant music.

This one is one of my favourites of the Chandos releases. The fact that these are modern recordings make them so much more accessable too, I'm just not ( like you Steven, if I remember correctly? ) into archival tinny sounding recordings, a shame maybe, but I just find it difficult to listen to what is otherwise fabulous and worthy music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I can't stand old recordings! Or at least, as you say, tinny sounding recordings. A lot of Goldsmith's western scores have bad recordings - which is such a shame since his western score are so bloody good. (A rerecording of suites from his western scores would make a very worthy album!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    I can't stand old recordings! Or at least, as you say, tinny sounding recordings. A lot of Goldsmith's western scores have bad recordings - which is such a shame since his western score are so bloody good. (A rerecording of suites from his western scores would make a very worthy album!)

Same here. Sound quality is an incredibly important criterion for me, just as much as performance. That's why I always -- without exception -- prefer rerecordings of Golden Age scores over the originals. Hard to say when originals started to provide good enough sound quality, but some time in the 70's, maybe?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: The Adventures Of Tintin - John Williams

A warm score that playfully flutters along. A nice, inoffensive listen, though ultimately not provoking any kind of strong emotion (negative or positive) thus remaining unmemorable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts on the music after seeing the film! (That is, if you're planning on watching the film?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I saw the premiere, dear boy!!
    And going back to see it again next week!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

Considering the sublime quality of his music I'm surprised it hasn't been done already, surely somewhere down the line a Goldsmith westerns recording can be in the offing from the likes of Tadlow/Prometheus etc?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2011 edited
    Martijn wrote

You did? Oh. I did not know that.

Again? You either really enjoy it, or you're being roped into seeing it again? uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Considering the sublime quality of his music I'm surprised it hasn't been done already, surely somewhere down the line a Goldsmith westerns recording can be in the offing from the likes of Tadlow/Prometheus etc?

If I won the lottery (and also played the lottery), it would be one of my first agendas! (After buying a replica of the Back To The Future Part III DeLorean of course.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote

You did? Oh. I did not know that.

I seem to remember talking about it in the most glowing of terms....but as I can't find the actual post, maybe it was just in my head? dizzy (I'm sure I mentioned the wonderful CGI rendering of 40s/50s Brussels somewhere though...where else would I have done that? Strange... uhm )

Anyway, excellent fare, hugely enjoyable romp, and the tone and style of the music fit the film like a glove!

Again? You either really enjoy it, or you're being roped into seeing it again? uhm

I really enjoyed it. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Jerry Goldsmith Suites & Themes / Goldsmith Conducts Goldsmith

A 5 star album if ever there was one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Fuck ya!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2011 edited
    Steven wrote
    Jerry Goldsmith Suites & Themes / Goldsmith Conducts Goldsmith

A 5 star album if ever there was one.

There are many. Dependant on personal taste, of course. wink

Unless you meant a 5 star out of 10?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    10 stars? Are you mad!?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    10 stars? Are you mad!?

"Are you mad!?"

It's not obvious? dizzy