• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. John Williams - Schindler's List

Along with Legends of the Fall and The Thin Red Line, this score represents what to me is film music perfection.

My all-time favourite John Williams score and no, it doesn't get me depressed... I can't describe, but the exposure to how great this music is actually always makes me feel better.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2011
    It is indeed perfection, for a perfection of a film.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2011
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    I can't stand old recordings! Or at least, as you say, tinny sounding recordings. A lot of Goldsmith's western scores have bad recordings - which is such a shame since his western score are so bloody good. (A rerecording of suites from his western scores would make a very worthy album!)

Considering the sublime quality of his music I'm surprised it hasn't been done already, surely somewhere down the line a Goldsmith westerns recording can be in the offing from the likes of Tadlow/Prometheus etc?

I'm sure Intrada will re-release each of them about 5 more times (12 seconds of newly-discovered music! Must buy! Second disc contains alternate recording of track 15 with an extra cymbal crash in the 84th bar! Only $25!) before they get re-recorded.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2011 edited
    THE ELDER SCROLLS V: SKYRIM - JEREMY SOULE

If there was an award for 'Most beautiful music you've heard all year', this score would get my vote. Jeremy Soule tops his previous efforts for the epic fantasy role playing game series by providing the listener / player with soothing, hypnotic and stupefyingly lovely melodies. The harmonic structures remind me of Michael Land's 'The Dig', in the way that you become completely entranced by the haunting and ethereal-like melodies, and almost every cue has something memorable going on in it.

The emphasis in this 3-disc score is the calmer, softer underscore-like music, but there are some pretty bombastic choral cues as well, and they don't sound unlike what Howard Shore wrote for a little fantasy tale about Hobbits. The vocals are always exceptional in the entirety of this score, whether it is in the more epic cues, or in the soft material. Many of the tracks have a calm and soothing effect, while also maintaining a wonderfully beautiful melodic line that will captivate many people, I'm sure of that.

Listen to this cue, if you think I'm lying.

Soule really hit a homerun with Skyrim, and this sounds as close to a real orchestral recording as is technically possible.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I still think Guild Wars is the best thing Soule has done. Skyrim, like you said, feels more like The Dig (which isn't a bad thing) but I prefer epic adventure side of Guild Wars scores.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Guild Wars has a ton of memorable stuff as well, I agree with you there, but it's the ethereal quality of Skyrim that is so up my alley. The Dig has this effect, Skyrim does it in ever greater numbers. I can already imagine playing a section of the game when a glorious track like 'From Past to Present' plays and just stop where I'm going to and feel the majesty and beauty of the world around me come alive. From the perspective of a gamer who loves immersion (me), this is perfect underscore for a game of this kind.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: FALLING DOWN (James Newton Howard)

It's a travesty that this brilliant score is not out commercially. Cool, jazzy, urban rhythms and otherworldly, melancholic moods.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    DreamTheater wrote
    THE ELDER SCROLLS V: SKYRIM - JEREMY SOULE

If there was an award for 'Most beautiful music you've heard all year', this score would get my vote. Jeremy Soule tops his previous efforts for the epic fantasy role playing game series by providing the listener / player with soothing, hypnotic and stupefyingly lovely melodies. The harmonic structures remind me of Michael Land's 'The Dig', in the way that you become completely entranced by the haunting and ethereal-like melodies, and almost every cue has something memorable going on in it.

The emphasis in this 3-disc score is the calmer, softer underscore-like music, but there are some pretty bombastic choral cues as well, and they don't sound unlike what Howard Shore wrote for a little fantasy tale about Hobbits. The vocals are always exceptional in the entirety of this score, whether it is in the more epic cues, or in the soft material. Many of the tracks have a calm and soothing effect, while also maintaining a wonderfully beautiful melodic line that will captivate many people, I'm sure of that.

Listen to this cue, if you think I'm lying.

Soule really hit a homerun with Skyrim, and this sounds as close to a real orchestral recording as is technically possible.

Totally agree! Skyrim = magnificent!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote

It's a travesty that this brilliant score is not out commercially. Cool, jazzy, urban rhythms and otherworldly, melancholic moods.

I can't help but think of Shooting Stars whenever someone mentions that film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: War Horse - John Williams

Pastoral, sonorous, beautiful and rather melancholic in overall tone (not too odd considering the subject matter).

Even though once more there is not so much a "hummable theme" in evidence, there is a strong thematic "propulsion", if you will (mood and harmony clearly make certain characters or situations recognisable....at least in the music! It all makes almost for a standalone symphony type of work!)

I could easily revisit this many times. A wonderful work to close out the year, to be sure.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. NP: Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol - Michael Giacchino

With all Mission: Impossible incarnations I am always looking, first and foremost, to how Lalo Schifrin's title theme is used and it's use in "Light The Fuse" starts off unexpectedly (in a negative way) but Giacchino does some nice things with the theme and manages to stamp his own influence on it. The final track bookends the album nicely.

I am liking the emphasis on the frantic string ostinato I am hearing in "Knife To A Gun Fight".

This could be a good one.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2011
    Super Atragon Masamichi Amano

As the analogy of food and music always seems to work so well, this could easily be described as a hearty feast. There's a lot going on in the score, with plenty of excellent themes and dense orchestrations to chew on. Just listen to the love theme.

I'm very grateful to Atham and Erik for bringing it to my attention!
  4. Courageous is a "Christian movie" that apparently addresses issues of faith prominently in the film. I had never heard of composer Mark Willard before now but he seems to be the "resident composer" for the studio that produces films such as Courageous (Fireproof is another title from the same fold).

But I came across the soundtrack album for the film. It features mainly songs (inspirational no doubt) but there are a couple of score tracks, and the final one - "Adam's Speech (Closing Credits)" - is a track that I found to be a very enjoyable listen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1mNDWBI9ik

Could turn out to be one of my favourite of the year.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Steven wrote
    Super Atragon Masamichi Amano

As the analogy of food and music always seems to work so well, this could easily be described as a hearty feast. There's a lot going on in the score, with plenty of excellent themes and dense orchestrations to chew on. Just listen to the love theme.

I'm very grateful to Atham and Erik for bringing it to my attention!

Glad you like it. Now pass the word arround that it's awesome! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows - Hans Zimmer

I really like the material in the three parts Shadows suit. It's a continuation of that Peacemaker sound that I adores. I'm still not a fan of the gypsy stuff, though it sure does lend the unique flair to the whole proceeding, a necessary musical depth in these kinds of things. "To the Opera"'s treatment of Don Giovanni is kinda cool though, though it would be better enjoyed in the movie. I was hoping for MORE actiony stuff, so as it stand right now, I'm a bit disappointed. And the bonus cues didn't do much for me. However, I'm looking forward to seeing how it fit the movie this time around. The Moriarty stuff in the Shadows suite was very dark and enticing.
  5. Thor wrote

I like it too, instead of releasing the umpteenth Goldsmith expanded treatment, why not start with this and Flatliners immediately after.
    • CommentAuthorBlu
    Steven wrote
    The Legend of Zelda 25th Anniversary Symphony Koji Kondo

One of the best film or game music albums of 2011!

Totally agree!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thor wrote

I like it too, instead of releasing the umpteenth Goldsmith expanded treatment, why not start with this and Flatliners immediately after.

I don't remember the Flatliners score at all ( saw the movie once on it's VHS rental release ) which doesn't bode well for me as I always remember a feeling of 'this music is good, I must make a note of getting it/hope it's released', it seems to have been a "grail" for JNH fans for as long as I can remember.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thor wrote

I don't remember the Flatliners score at all ( saw the movie once on it's VHS rental release ) which doesn't bode well for me as I always remember a feeling of 'this music is good, I must make a note of getting it/hope it's released', it seems to have been a "grail" for JNH fans for as long as I can remember.

Really? You didn't remember this cue from FLATLINERS, for example? Or this fantastic choral cue?

Re-familiarize yourself at once!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Fair nuff! I must have been wearing ear plugs that day wink Very good stuff, so much better than what he underwhelms me with these days.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Mission: Impossible IV Ghost Protocol Michael Juh-Kee-Noh

Could do with some trimming perhaps, but this is a very enjoyable score. Reminds me of Speed Racer in a lot of the cues. I'm loving the Russian choir music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: HOME ALONE (John Williams)

First Christmas music of the year for me....I usually wait to mid December every year.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2011 edited
    NP: Field of Dreams - James Horner

I was shuffling through my iPod this morning while dropping off the kids and a track from this score popped up. I knew that once I got home I had to spin the complete album. A true masterpiece! A very personal score (and film.)

-Erik-

PS - I never noticed the HORRIBLE edit in the opening track at the 2:34 mark! shocked
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  6. Timmer wrote
    Fair nuff! I must have been wearing ear plugs that day wink Very good stuff, so much better than what he underwhelms me with these days.

Flatliners is defintely not among the greats of JNH, but it does have VERY memorable cues and I've always liked their function in the film. There is something in the 90s Newton Howard that is so lacking in his scores these days.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote

Reminds me of Speed Racer in a lot of the cues.

That's slightly concerning. So it's not really like the first ones balls-to-the-wall action music?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's not really like the first one relative to Giacchino's music, but it is balls-to-the-wall action music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote

Reminds me of Speed Racer in a lot of the cues.

That's slightly concerning. So it's not really like the first ones balls-to-the-wall action music?

Concerns me too, since Speed Racer is one of the few Juh-Kee-Noh scores which didn't do much for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Arthur Christmas - HGW

A rival to Puss in Boots for most entertainingly derivative film score of the year (but not quite so blatant in its temp-track love).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    HOME ALONE 2 (John Williams)

Continuing from above (and in case there was any doubt....these are of course the original albums, not the expansions).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    rolleyes