• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Mystery Score Clip 36

Okay, don't fall asleep, here's another one. We're going back in time to the 1980's. And there's twice as many clues, since there's twice as many composers!

The film was scored by two people; one a known composer of such genre films at that time, and the other a known orchestrator who later became a known composer.

The first, though not working as often today as before, still scores. The second is no longer with us.

The movie is pretty bad and I wouldn't advise that you watch it.

Here's the suite:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgxnuXcAAdY
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2013 edited
    Smells like something cooked up by Charles Band's "Empire Pictures".

The source of this mystery clip is probably 1985's GHOULIES.
    Richard Band had more assignments during the 1980s than in the 21st century.
    And Shirley Walker is deceased.

GHOULIES come to my mind first ... but be warned ... the GHOULIES will get you in the end ... popping up out of your e-toilet like a Jack-in-the-box to bite your e-cookies. smile
  2. That was remarkably accurate. Wrong film though and company.

e-toilet; makes sense, since the internet is full of crap anyway.

One of the labels released the score some years back, but it appears to be incomplete (as well as being sold out).
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2013
    Wrong film??? Oh ... poop!
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    Is the company "Ragewar Productions"?

Is the title RAGEWAR?

It's another Richard Band / Shirley Walker schlockfest.
  3. Bingo! Titled that on IMDb, but often refered to as "The Dungeonmaster" and released by Intrada under that name.

That third or fourth cue in the suite sounds to me like it's clearly Walker's work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    Will there be a mystery clip #37? biggrin
  4. Only the Shadow knows.

You'll just have to tune each each Mystery Score Clip-night, same Mystery Score Clip-thread!
  5. justin boggan wrote
    Bingo! Titled that on IMDb, but often refered to as "The Dungeonmaster" and released by Intrada under that name.

That third or fourth cue in the suite sounds to me like it's clearly Walker's work.

I have that! I am now embarrassed that I did not recognise it.
    shame
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. Mystery Score Clip 37

This time there really is a mystery. Sadly, most the score in the film had dialogue over it, or dialogue at short spouts, which made it impossible to make edits without making the music widly choppy. And the FX was too much in some places.

Don't think anybody saw this coming.

The composer works pretty actively today. The composer was not the first composer on the film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmO5V9kZfB4
  7. Clues:

There is another composer who shares the same last name.
    The film is based on a book.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2013
    Sounds something like David Arnold's STARGATE; could Arnold have written the music heard in this clip, though?

David shares same last name of Malcolm Arnold, however stuff like STARGATE or INDEPENDENCE DAY isn't based on any novels that I'm aware of.

[can't be one of the Newmans since there are more than 2 composers with surname of Newman]

Anyway, the clip sounds like it's post-1990 & probably pre-Y2K.
  8. Not Arnold, and after Y2k.

If you stop to think about, we've got killer survival skills. We've survived the Cold War, the 13 Days, Y2k, and now the end of the world (December 21st), to name a few. Think about that. ;-)

Technically, more than one composer sharing the same last name, wouldn't rule it out, but in this case I was thinking of one composer. And yes, there are a lot of Newman's (none of them in this clip) that compose scores:

David, Thomas, Randy, Joey, Maria, and I think there's one more in there some place.

There's been no CD release. The other composer has a connection to this one.
  9. Reveal.

It's 2003, and you're listening to "A Wrinkle In Time".

The score is by Jeff Danna.

Danna scored the American film version. Originally this project, as I recall, went back as far as 1999, and was completed in 2001, and intended to be a four-hour mini series. It was chopped down to three hours and shown first in Canada (were it was produced) with a more electronic score by Shawn Pierce & Patric Caird (no samples of the score on either composers' site; I had to reply on a description of the score from one of them).

Interestingly enough, neither were originally scoring it, with at least two different composers originally hired, including a very interesting choice of Lesley Barber. The other composer I discvered recerntly and I am still investigating.

As I said before, the score is sadly unreleased.

The film was neither bad or excellent. It was enjoyable at times, and others rushed (I guess that's what happens when you cut something down from four hours) though the creative editing did an exceptable job of making it cohesive.

Some of the acting left a lot of to be desired, and there was a little too much suspencion of disbelief required at a few rare instances, that brought the film down. But the film does have positive messages and a good heart. It doesn't represent the book very well, as more indepth reviews indicate.

New mystery clip coming up soon.
  10. HO! HO! HO! Mystery Score Clip 38

I tried to find a good Christmas score for the game right before Christmas, but I was not able to locate something good enough.

By complete accident, I found this a few hours ago while searching for something else.

A small ensamble, intimate-sounding orchestral and acoustic guitar score by an otherwise rock musician/classical instrumental composer. For this short film, the composer did his only [known] scoring work. EDIT: I say "known" because I can't find anything else, even though this websit estates he's done other shorts and types of scoring work.

Have a bloody good listen:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA73nEt7Gbo
  11. This is from an animated short film.
  12. justin boggan wrote
    ...score by an otherwise rock musician/classical instrumental composers...

I'm a bit thick today, but do you mean that he's composed more classical pieces - perhaps for a small orchestral ensemble?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  13. FalkirkBairn wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    ...score by an otherwise rock musician/classical instrumental composers...

I'm a bit thick today, but do you mean that he's composed more classical pieces - perhaps for a small orchestral ensemble?

According to his website, he does rock, soft rock, orchestral stuff, and was sinpired by and has arranged classical music. I accidently added an extra "s" to composer.
  14. Cheers Justin. I quite like the music but I don't really know where to start. Paul McCartney immediately came to mind but was then just as quickly dismissed as he seems to have done quite a bit of stuff.

I am assuming that the musician's main instrument is guitar since acoustic guitar is featured so heavily in the score?
  15. Sorry about the late reply. Yes, judging from his site, and works, guitar seems to be his musical weapon of choice.
  16. Reveal.

This is from an animated short film titled "Santa's Pocket Watch". What's "Santa's Pocket Watch" like? Well, remember in season one of "The Simpsons" where Maggie and Lisa loved watching a video cartoon movie called "The Happy Little Elves"?

It's sort of like that except animated a little better, and the characters aren't bouncing around. It's a real waste of time. And the prolonged shot of Santa's rather curvy & round butt in red pants, well ... didn't need that:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAS1OPbSc9k#t=4m44s

The score is by Stephen Caudel (StephenCaudel.com)
  17. I would never have guessed this one!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2013
    I don't think anyone would. These clips are so insanely obscure.
    I am extremely serious.
  18. You could almost say they're mysteries.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2013
    justin boggan wrote
    And the prolonged shot of Santa's rather curvy & round butt in red pants, well ... didn't need that

How 'bout a curvy booty in Santa Claus red? With peppermint stockings. Need that?

http://image.dhgate.com/albu_276771142_00/1.0x0.jpg

moon
  19. Taking opinion here:

I have a film lined up for the next clip, but I'm not sure I want to spendthe time. I'll let you guys decide. Here are some details to help make that decision:

Famous film composer. Early career (most here will never have heard it). Never released, so a ripped suite is the only way to hear it.

And because of the fore warning, I'll skip the Santa's picture, cobweb. ;-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    if it's early Johnny Williams, then you can skip it and move onto the next mystery. smile
  20. No, certain composers you can rule out from any future clips, and Williams is one of them. You can also rule out Zimmer.
  21. It is always interesting to hear unfamiliar film or TV music. It is a matter of whether you can be bothered to do it considering the little interest there is for them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    It is always interesting to hear unfamiliar film or TV music. It is a matter of whether you can be bothered to do it considering the little interest there is for them.

Agreed. Nothing wrong with bringing attention to obscure music, but the question is if it's more fruitful to do a kind of "discovery" thread about them rather than mystery clips, which no one has any interest in or would know anyway. That's my take, anyway. I'm surprised Justin keeps doing these, since Cobweb is about the only person participating (maybe Alan once in a while).
    I am extremely serious.