• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2012 edited
    Well, I had a listen to the clip. No definite suggestions from me I'm afraid. The noise does sound like the film is a western with some of the action taking place in cold or snowy scenes?

The music reminds me somehow of Hugo Friedhofer's scores such as Between Heaven and Hell but other than that I am stumped. But I am sure - from the clues - that it is not Friedhofer.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  1. Yes, western and some long scenes in the snow. This person is better known as an orchestrator. Will reveal in, oh -- maybe an hour when I get some things done and the next clip prepared.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2012
    Ah-HAH!
    Arthur Morton?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Close!
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    In that case it can only be...Alexander Courage!
    (And if it isn't, I give!)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. You get half an e-cookie! It's a little stale though. Now, the title?
  4. Reveal time.

When my clue said the sling-shotting around the sun but related distantly, maybe just that -- a clue this time, I was being honest. Any Trek fan knows that in the fourth film they sling-shotted around the sun to reach high enough speed to go back in time. But little did I remember, my clue was't more than distantly related, it was in fact like a sister!

In the film they say they've done it before, and indeed in the TOS series they did it in the episode "Tomorrow Is Yesterday", which turns out to have been scored by Alexander Courage!

The film is "Day of the Outlaw" (1959).

The whole film was not on Youtube, just 20+ minutes. While "Ride a Crooked Trail" was a very good movie, I got the sense from "Day of the Outlaw", that it was not of the same writing quality; take your boring by-the-numbers "Gunsmoke" episode (and there were a number when you do over 600 episodes!) that still had good acting, and now imagine it as a film with poorer writing. Bingo!

As you can tell, the music, however, is strongly orchestral and dramatic. Before this film, Courage's scoring credits has been mostly for musicals, leaving not so much room for scoring.

Almost all his filmography has gone by the way side and the only exception is the major one -- his work on "Star Trek" (which he hated*). The clue where I said somebody related has passed away just a few years a go, was in reference to Loulie Jean Norman, who did the vocals on the TOS theme which Courage wrote. I don't know much, but according to an images.google.com search for:
    "Loulie Jean Norman"
    She didn't look all that bad. And if she's also the redhead in the red dress, then she was hot.

* = IMDB has this on the bio page for him; if anybody has recorded (if it was recorded) or has the paper, they can hopefully back this up:

I have to confess to the world that I am not a science fiction fan. Never have been. I think it's just marvelous malarkey.....So you write some, you hope, marvelous malarkey music that goes with it. (from a 2000 interview for the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences' "Archive of American Television")
  5. Mystery Score Clip 25

Okay, smart guys. Wanted something more modern? Okay, we're in the mid 1990's with this suite.

There's a 1 in 100 chance ANY of you have seen this. About that much of a chance you'll name the person -- very unlikely. This person only has about a handful of credits.

Unknowingly, I think some of you (probably more than I know) have heard his music but had no idea.

If by some miraculous chance a member here actually guesses this, I might have to offer something more up than an e-cookie!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEPF5z8Xezs
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I liked it! My first thought was Richard Stone as there was something about Pumpkinhead to it but Stone doesn't fit your bill.

I'll try some more guesses later.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. I will say i didn't necessarily enjoy it, it's more of a "that's interesting" thing for everybody here.

No, not Stone.
  7. Not much chance of having seen the movie, not much chance of naming the person, may have heard his music but will have no idea if you have...I don't know where to begin! wink

I have no idea.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  8. I guess I could narrow it down some and say this is a documentary.
  9. justin boggan wrote
    I guess I could narrow it down some and say this is a documentary.

I am quite surprised from the style of music that it is from a documentary - though I don't know why I should be surprised; a lot of documentary music today is very cinematic.
  10. I guess you could say you don't know this person for scoring, but rather for his instrumental backing for songs, therefore you some of you might have heard him, but are unaware, and probably own CD's with him on it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2012
    Jimmy Webb?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  11. Nope.
  12. Final clue before I reveal sometime late tomorrow, since I'll won't be back to give more clues; if you guess it from this clue, you only get an e-cookie:

He's part of a well known group that many of you have heard of.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2012
    Is he a member of TOTO?
  13. No. Another member of this group has also done some scoring. Will reveal after the next guess.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2012
    Am I still wrong if I mention GENESIS?
  14. Yup, sorry -- no e-cookie for you!

The documentary is unusual in that the director had only made films and shorts of musicians, etc, but out of nowhere, this one documentary about a mathmatic formula! Odd.

"The Colours of Infinity" (1995)

In it's own od way, even if you're not into heavy mathmatics, it's fun to watch and listen to.

The score was composed by Pink Floyd and the member who scored this documentary is David Gilmour.

On top of writing lyrics to some songs, and playing guitar (like on the documentary score), he also would compose the music backing to songs.

Here's a great example; listen to the following from this clip: Beginning to 2:30 (nothing but music only for that long):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxDEgZYH0vU

I thought this might be an interesting clip for people who, like me, were curious if he scored anything, and if he did, what did it sound like. Unfortunately it didn't quite sound like what I was hoping for, but what the hell.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2012
    face-palm-mt

I thought the guitar sounded like Gilmour in that clip and still didn't go for it. slant

If Thor were here he'd most likely have nailed it.
  15. Ahhhh ... okay, here's half a stale e-cookie. Don't eat it all in one place! biggrin
  16. justin boggan wrote
    Ahhhh ... okay, here's half a stale e-cookie. Don't eat it all in one place! biggrin

And mind the crumbs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2012
    HEY, I knew that! Never thought I'd recognize one of Justin's clips. Too late for the game, though.

Gilmour actually scored a few weird bits for TV over the years, most famously an episode of RUBY WAX, of all things.
    I am extremely serious.
  17. No retroactive e-cookies. But radioactive e-cookies on the other hand...

Rest assured, Thor, this will probably never happen again. You'll be scratching your head all future clips.
  18. Mystery Score Clip 26

I have no idea if anybody will get this. Surely somebody here has seen this before.

Buckle up, we're throwing this car into reverse so fast we've gone back a few decades. There's somebody famous involved in this, who was in the news a few months ago.

This is probably 90% or more of the score:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go7QlQfMj6k
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2012
    Hi, Justin.

Would this be from a half-hour television program (music from an episode shown, say, between 1978 & 1983)?
    Not certain enough to hazard a guess yet, but my initial inkling leans towards a British composer...
  19. You're very close -- it does fall in that year range, the latter. It was indeed a half hour and on TV.

But he was born and raised American.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2012
    Ian Freebairn-Smith?