• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Mystery Score Clip 39

Nixed the other idea. Instead, here is another early-career score by a famous film composer whom is no longer with us.

This is the complete score, minus a few seconds edited out of FX.

It's certainly not what you'd expect from this composer.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9ujCFxaNTU
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2013
    justin boggan wrote
    by a famous film composer whom is longer longer with us.

Are you saying the composer has a very long life and should be dead? shocked
  2. Type Hell.

Anyway, he's talked about a good deal even now.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    So he is dead - but had a shorter life?
  3. You could say he left us sooner than he should of, yes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    OK - here goes.

The music in this latest mystery clip doesn't sound to me much like dramatic film or TV underscore; nonetheless, whatever it is (or wherever it's from) it conjures up a "1979" feel to me.
    Could be 1980 or 1978, too.
    If this item is from the late-'70s, then I'm thinking about composers such as Michael Kamen or Basil Poledouris who had their earliest scores in the '70s but whose film scoring careers didn't "take off" until the 1980s.

Are we getting "close"?
  4. About the late '70's is right. And you nailed the composer in your two guesses.

Kamen was early seventies, Basil was late '60s with a few short film things (not listed on IMDb). OF course there could be earlier Kamen stuff I am not aware of.
  5. Good call Cobweb!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. Well, since we're so close, might as well reveal.

"The Magic Rolling Board" (1976)

A short film/documentary that's mostly about skateboarding. There's no dialogue except one laugh and chicken clucking on a skateboard. The music works very well with the imagry.
    Basil Poledouris is the composer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3qev6laaHA

What's interesting is there's a shorter edit of the short documentary, with dialogue, and scored by somebody else, so you have a comparrison to different approaches (no credits, so no idea whom the composer is):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmJOJIrRRJE
  7. Mystery Score Clip 40

I certainly didn't mean to have a new contest so soon, but then I remembered something.

Yup, the big four-O. And what can we expect from this, why, nothing but one of the most popular television series that ever aired. And whom can we expect as the culprit composer? Why, none other than one of the most prolific and popular composers of that era and beyond (even to his death). He didn't score every episode, but he did the overwhelming majority.

Cues are culled from two different seasons. I had to edit one cue to remove the series' theme being used.

You're going back a decades to an era of black & white:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuAfMAYu3VI
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2013
    The sound of the bass clarinet puts Johnny Mandel into my mind straight away. But I have to rule Mandel out because he didn't score any TV series circa 1963, '64 or '65 (which are the seasons I expect this clip is culled from).

Believe it or not, but (regarding sit-coms) canned laughter can help a person pin down a year just as well (if not better) than a music score. Justin may be obligated to remove dialog or words of any sort, but by retaining the laugh track he unwittingly "gives away" the time period. It could be from a 1963-'64 season or a 1964-'65 season, so I'm hazarding a guess that its from 1964.

The piece of the puzzle I'm still grappling with is the reconciliation between the "popular" TV show and the "popular" composer.
    A number of popular TV series (MY FAVORITE MARTIAN, PETTICOAT JUNCTION, THE FARMER'S DAUGHTER, etc.) were scored by relatively 'unknown' composer such as George Greeley or Frank Comstock or William Lava, etc.
    Both George Duning and Jerry Fielding scored segments of THE FARMER'S DAUGHTER, but certainly not enough to be considered an overwhelming majority. Earle Hagen did score TV programs on his own or with little assistance - but is Hagen popular enough?

Hmmm ...
  8. No, not Mandel.

You're close to the years, but you overshot by a little bit. 1961 to 1962 in the range.

You have the composer mentioned above. Now it's time for your to nip this clue.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2013
    I guess, then, it's Earle Hagen.

Episodes from a 1961/'62 season of either THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW or THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW?
  9. Well, you've nipped it. In the butt.

"The Andy Griffith Show", for which the vast majority of episodes were scoed by Hagen.

Hagen also scored the three spin-off series, as well as the score for the terrible TV movie return (in which it sounded like the whistling had one noted not performed right, and one wrong note).

Hagen was a very popular composer during his career, not only working on many popular and famous TV series, but scoring tons of episodes.
  10. Mystery Score Clip 41

This is one I actually meant to do earlier, but didn't have access to a better quality film upload to rip from.

This time around it's just a 4:00 minute main title cue, as the rest of the score was not only covered in annoying SFX (sometimes an editor doesn't work to achieve a balance between score and FX, they just do what the hell ever), but also the rest of the score is deeply inferior and a complete waste of time.

Such a fun main title full of effort, but the few cues in the film completely lack all that, and are very basic.

We're going back a little over three decades, to a film best forgotten, and to a composer nearly forgotten but by a few FSM members, and I think one person here brought him up not too long ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxp3hq2drGc
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2013
    justin boggan wrote
    Mystery Score Clip 40

This is one I actually meant to do earlier, but didn't have access to a better quality film upload to rip from.

This time around it's just a 4:00 minute main title cue, as the rest of the score was not only covered in annoying SFX (sometimes an editor doesn't work to achieve a balance between score and FX, they just do what the hell ever), but also the rest of the score is deeply inferior and a complete waste of time.

Such a fun main title full of effort, but the few cues in the film completely lack all that, and are very basic.

We're going back a little over 30 decades, to a film best forgotten, and to a composer nearly forgotten but by a few FSM members, and I think one person here brought him up not too long ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxp3hq2drGc

30 decades? Wasn't aware there was much film music goin' on 300 years ago! smile
    I am extremely serious.
  11. biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  12. That post is about to get a visit from the Edit Fairy...

30 decades? Wasn't aware there was much film music goin' on 300 years ago!

What? You don't like Thag's Greatest Hits? Why, there's classics like:

"Thag Pounds on Rock"
    "Thag Pounds on Rock Faster"
    "Thag Pounds Rock With Stick"
    "Thag Clubs Other Wannabe Alpha Males"
    and how can we forget the mesmering "Thag Pounds Meat"
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2013
    IRIOT!

This not 40 - it 41.

And it no mystery.

justin boggan smoking pipe of poppy!

You want music of Marc Wilkinson? Listen to:

THE ROYAL HUNT OF THE SUN
    BLOOD ON SATAN'S CLAW
    TRIPLE ECHO
    ENIGMA ('83)
    even the 1979 QUATERMASS CONCLUSION, if you must ...

... but not ... the dreaded ...

FIENDISH PLOT OF DR. FU MANCHU! shocked

No e-fortune cookie for justin!

For justin's punishment by the Tong, boggan must watch all 6 episodes of DR. WHO's "The Talons Of Weng-Chiang" (with 6 you get egg'loll smile ) !
  13. So, I take it you've had the displeasure of seeing that awful movie? wink

Thank goodness I skimmed through it for the score, this was one BAD movie.

I tried to open and e-fortune cookie once, and it suddenly disconnected and said, "Good-bye".

You win two e-cookies simply forguessing so quickly.
  14. Mystery Score Clip 42

We're taking a trip back into the 1990's to composer with very few credits on his IMDb resume, but as you can hear, he's quite good as what he does. Some real effort was put in here. I'd never heard of him, but anytime I see some film I've never heard of, while at Youtube, I check whom the composer is, and well, I can't resist hearing work of somebody I hadn't previously known.

While in the '90's, the time period of this well-produced, though unknown TV movie, is far, far earlier than that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeRz2FW7gI4
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2013
    Would this be the 1994 TV mini-series "The American Revolution"?
  15. No, and not either of thsoe composers. But now you've got me interested in what that sounds like! Too bad it's now ruled out as a future clip.

The composer sadly died young, at 46.
  16. Reveal.

A little known film called "Poldark". The composer is the late Ian Hughes. The score has technically not been released. I say "technically", because there was no CD, yet there is a music library services online that provides music for purchase, both for industrial, but also private purchase, and it sounds like at least half the film's score is available there. Sadly, at the time I didn't know that and used edits from the film.

The composer has had no CD releases that I am aware of. And no promos that I have found.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2013 edited
    "Poldark" was initially a 1975 British TV series.

Is this 1996 "Poldark" TV-movie a remake or a follow-up from that series?

Also, IMDB doesn't credit any composer for this "Poldark"...
  17. Yes, the 1996 version. IMDb is user-contributed and only as complete as the contributions; there are tons of missing film and TV series composer credits, or incomplete ones. I never rely on IMDb. I used the Youtube upload to find out who scored it.
  18. Mystery Score Clip 43

This is one of those rare more recent scores that I barely do. Well, I use "recent" more comparatively to other clips, 'cause it's been about 15 years.

For those who enjoy the more old-fashioned and seasoned scores I sometimes put up, you might be a little disappointed here, but I thought it was a plesant listen. The film is a complete skipper.

The composer, whom was not the first on the film, is completely unknown to the general scoring community. But he does share the same last name as a very well known TV (and occassional film) composer who passed away several years ago. I don't know if it's coincidental or actual relation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrYiZUATDjI
  19. Apparently I didn't make this sound appealing enough as it only has two hits. I'm not sure what kind of clues I could give forward.
  20. Reveal.

"The Unknown Cyclist"

A score by Donald Markowtiz (with additional by David Vanacore). As I pointed out, a last name is shared with Richard Markowitz.

He was not the first composer on the film, as FSM had been reporting Hummie Mann.
    No score release. No website, that I could find, for Donald.

A lovely orchestral (unreleased) score later today.
  21. Mystery Score Clip 44

We're going back a few decades to the early career of a very well known composer still working actively today.

It's a film, and this represents probably about just over half the score as heard in the film. The score is unreleased.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dVmedDHgtI