• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2011
    I got a review copy of this release from Naxos, a bit strange but then the tie in is probably the London Philharmonic Orchestra. The question I have is why aren't the composers acknowledged at all. Some of them I've been able to find but Legend of Zelda suite I have no clue as apparently there is more than one composer. I'm a bit confused.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  1. So no mention whatsoever of the composers? Is that the physical copy you're talking about?

Anyway, I think this is what you're looking for Tom.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    First of all you correctly identified the CD. And we are talking the physical CD which is what really shocked me but then I guess that the target market involved is different. I would have thought they had to list the composer but apparently I'm wrong.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    My question is still who composed the Legend of Zelda Suite?
    Tom
  2. It's just the one guy, Koji Kondo. He's written the music of all Zelda games.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. I see now what you mean, the cover doesn't have any composers listed. A major oversight, almost like it doesn't matter who wrote these stellar tracks. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2011
    1… Advent Rising Music- Tommy Tallarico (3:42)
    2… Legend of Zelda Suite- Koji Kondo (3:16)
    3… Call of Duty-Modern Warfare 2 Theme-Hans Zimmer (3:27)
    4… Angry Birds Main Theme-Ari Pulkkinen (3:15)
    5… Final Fantasy VIII Liberi Fatali-Nobuo Uematsu (3:07)
    6… Super Mario Bros. Themes-Koji Kondo (4:07)
    7… Uncharted-Drake’s Fortune/Nate’s Theme-Greg Edmonson (1:47)
    8… Grand Theft Auto IV- Soviet Connection-Michael Hunter (3:02)
    9… World of Warcraft-Seasons of War-Jason Hayes, Tracy Bush, Derek Duke, and Glenn Stafford (3:13)
    10… Metal Gear Solid-Sons of Liberty Theme-Harry Gregson Williams (3:52)
    11… Tetris Theme-“Korobeiniki”/based on a poem/Russian folksong (3:25)
    12… Battlefield 2-Theme-Mikael Karlsson (4:37)
    13… Elder Scrolls-Oblivion-Jeremy Soule (1:50)
    14… Call of Duty 4-Modern Warfare Main Theme Menu-Harry Gregson Williams/Stephen Barton (2:15)
    15… Mass Effect-Suicide Mission-Jack Wall (4:48)
    16… Splinter Cell-Conviction-Karen Cohen, Michael Nielson, and Anon Tobin (2:47)
    17… Final Fantasy Main Theme-Nobo Uematsu (2:40)
    18… Bioshock-The ocean on his shoulders-Garry Schyman (2:16)
    19… Halo 3-One Final Effort-Martin O’Donnell (4:00)
    20… Fallout 3-Theme-Inon Zur (2:20)
    21… Super Mario Galaxy-Gusty Garden Galaxy-Mahito Yokota (3:48)
    Total Time is 69:17

This was the best research I was able to come up with. If anyone sees an error let me know.
    Tom
  4. Why do the research, all the names are in the link I posted, and more complete. If you scrolled just a little down... rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I did learn a little along with way. Remember I've never played this stuff before.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I have Mahito Yokoto composing Gusty Garden not Koji Kondo. Who is correct?
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Land's The Dig is one of my all time favourite videogame scores.
  5. sdtom wrote
    I have Mahito Yokoto composing Gusty Garden not Koji Kondo. Who is correct?
    Tom

As far as I understand it, Mahito Yokota composed the Gusty Garden music. He composed the majority of the scores for both Super Mario Galaxy.

Koji Kondo did compose some additional music, mostly the music for the bits that are not in any specific galaxies, i.e., the Rosalina music in the observatory in the first game and Mario's starship music for the second game.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote

Thanks for not helping whatsoever.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Nautilus wrote

Not only that....it's one of my favourites scores regardless of medium!
    I am extremely serious.
  6. rolleyes
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    rolleyes

confused
    I am extremely serious.
  7. I just cannot understand the love for The Dig.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I just cannot understand the love for The Dig.

Oh, was that it?

Well, to each their own and all that.

I think if you're a fan of beautiful, otherworldly ambient textures with hints of Wagnerian harmonic structures, you'd like it. If you're not, then it would probably sound boring.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. The Dig is great, a truly original soundtrack for a game at a time when all that was coming out of the speakers was cheap synthesized melodies, bleeps and bloops. The perfect ambient score, I like it more than Blade Runner.
  9. While we're on the topic of greatest video game music I want to ask: how many of you are acquainted with a little masterpiece called Outcast? If you don't know it, you need to check it out. I never see love for it here at MT, which really surprises me to say the least, because it's a full blown orchestral and choral epic. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    There's lots of love for Outcast. I believe back in the scorereviews days I played it quite a bit. I have a few selected tracks from the album in my favorites playlist.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  10. Outcast is excellent. I think that I bought (and discarded) the game just to get the CD.
  11. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Outcast is excellent. I think that I bought (and discarded) the game just to get the CD.

Haha, I remember the score was on the second disc.

A real shame that guy never repeated his success. He did Dragonshard a few years later but it was nowhere near the majesty of Outcast.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2011
    DreamTheater wrote
    So no mention whatsoever of the composers? Is that the physical copy you're talking about?

Anyway, I think this is what you're looking for Tom.

If you look at the source material from Tech Crunch they claim it was Koji Kondo. Is there anyway for you to document your information Alan? I really am finding some of this quite confusing. Perhaps that is the reason the CD people didn't list the composers? Your also talking about Dig and Outcast which confuses me more. I don't think that they're on the CD.
    Tom
  12. I got my information secondhand, from people who have the original CDs released by Nintendo. I will re-check the credit list in the booklet that came with the game itself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2011
    thanks Alan
  13. Tom, the game booklet lists both composers as contributing the music. Wikipedia has the following comment about the music:

"Kondo composed four pieces for the game ("Egg Planet", which plays in the Good Egg Galaxy, and the three "Rosalina in the Observatory" pieces, which play in the Comet Observatory at different points within the game), while Yokota composed the rest."

This fits in with my recollection and listings I have seen elsewhere.

There's an interesting interview HERE featuring both Yokota and Kondo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2011
    Then it was Mahito who composed it. It still amazes me that the CD company put out no information.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2011/12/08/t … ame-music/

I finished the project in spite of the tooth pain.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    There is a clip of Tetris in the review.
    Tom