• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2011
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2011/05/29/t … tav-holst/

Something I reviewed where he performed piano. This is quite a unique arrangement of the popular orchestral work from Holst.

Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Excellent Tom. Just one correction, PLUTO is no longer regarded as a planet.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    But not the case when this recording was done.
  1. Pluto was re-instated several months ago.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    justin boggan wrote
    Pluto was re-instated several months ago.

No it wasn't. It's still officially classified as a dwarf planet!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2011
    I only discovered Bennett with FOUR WEDDINGS AND A FUNERAL, but have since heard excerpts from a few of his other things, like THE ORIENT EXPRESS. But not that much so far. Has he done a lot of film scores? I was under the impression he was more of a concert composer who dabbled in film music now and then. Has he basically retired from composing these days?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    I thank Tom for creating this thread about Sir R.R. Bennett upon a mere suggestion of mine on another post.

Now, if we can only get a little discussion on Bennett and his music, rather than the latest classification of Pluto, we'll be back on track.

I've noticed, Erik Woods, within your profile the listings of your favorites.
    Would you enlighten us, Erik, why there is no soundtrack by Bennett amongst your favorites.
    Also, as a producer of a music program on the radio, have you and/or will you ever transmit a film score written by Bennett? If a soundtrack exists only on the vinyl LP format, would its contents ever be broadcast on a program such as yours?
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    Thor wrote
    I only discovered Bennett with FOUR WEDDINGS AND A FUNERAL, but have since heard excerpts from a few of his other things, like THE ORIENT EXPRESS. But not that much so far. Has he done a lot of film scores? I was under the impression he was more of a concert composer who dabbled in film music now and then. Has he basically retired from composing these days?

Hi, Thor.

Yeah ... you could say that Bennett took an early retirement from film scoring.

He scored around 40 motion pictures, but I don't really consider quantity as an indicator of quality.

About half of his scores were done before writing for 1967's "Far From The Madding Crowd" (his first soundtrack album), so the only way to hear his early film work (much of it between 1959 and 1963) is by viewing these British films in any format possible (such as YouTube video clips, however region 2 DVDs of them are the most reliable sources).
  2. According to NASA.gov, Pluto holds a dual status as a planet and Trans-Neptunian Object.
    A "Dwarf planet" more technically. I don't see the article where Pluto was re-classified back, but best I call tell, it was the general scientific community that dropped Pluto as a planet after a planet-like body larger than Pluto was found far out in orbit,, which was named Eris (or something close to that). Basically, it's much ado about nothing. If NASA says it's a planet, then it's a dwarfin' planet.

If you live in another country and have your own NASA, then take your pick if it goes by something else there.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Cobweb wrote
    I've noticed, Erik Woods, within your profile the listings of your favorites.
    Would you enlighten us, Erik, why there is no soundtrack by Bennett amongst your favorites.
    Also, as a producer of a music program on the radio, have you and/or will you ever transmit a film score written by Bennett? If a soundtrack exists only on the vinyl LP format, would its contents ever be broadcast on a program such as yours?

First of all, you can just call me Erik. wink

Secondly, Bennett hasn't written a score that I would consider a personal favourite.

I've played plenty of Bennett on my show.

As for LP only releases being played on my show... Please feel free to visit my site and review my Top 14 rerecordings of all time. There you will see an LP only Rozsa recording listed.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    First of all, you can just call me Erik. wink

Secondly, Bennett hasn't written a score that I would consider a personal favourite.

I've played plenty of Bennett on my show.

As for LP only releases being played on my show... Please feel free to visit my site and review my Top 14 rerecordings of all time. There you will see an LP only Rozsa recording listed.

-Erik-

This is interesting to learn, Erik.

Even though scores by Bennett get airplay on your show, none of them appeal to you to any large extent.
    Everybody's got their own personal favorites, of course, but isn't intriguing how works by specific composers "click" whilst an entire body of work by another composer may not resonate at all to ones' tastes?

I'll need to revisit your profile links, but, from my initial glance at it (I never listened to your show), your favorites are just about opposite to my own...

...curious, isn't it?
  3. Richard Rodney Bennett's style is something that I have never really gotten to like much. Of the scores of his I have I would say that Murder On The Orient Express is my least favourite one. But that's probably more to do with the style of music Bennett used for this score.

Titles which I prefer? Equus, Lady Caroline Lamb and Billion Dollar Brain would be my preferred three.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Cobweb wrote
    This is interesting to learn, Erik.

Even though scores by Bennett get airplay on your show, none of them appeal to you to any large extent.

I didn't say I didn't like his music it's just that none of them would make my Top 25 or Top 50 or even Top 100. But now that you've brought it up I will revisit some of his scores over the holidays. I'll probably start with the Chandos compilation featuring the BBC Philharmonic and Rumon Gamba.

Cobweb wrote
    Everybody's got their own personal favorites, of course, but isn't intriguing how works by specific composers "click" whilst an entire body of work by another composer may not resonate at all to ones' tastes?

I'll need to revisit your profile links, but, from my initial glance at it (I never listened to your show), your favorites are just about opposite to my own...

...curious, isn't it?

We all have different tastes. That's what sparks some of the most interesting and heated debates.

What are some of your favourites?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    all of you should listen to the planets delos cd.
    tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    A good starting point for Bennett is the Chandos CD#9867 which is a compilation of his material.
    tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    What are some of your favourites?

-Erik-

Well ... since you asked, Erik ...

I'll divide my favorites into two: those with soundtrack albums and those with no albums.

SOUNDTRACKS

THE ILLUSTRATED MAN by Goldsmith (CD)
    L'IMPRECATEUR by Bennett (LP)
    FANTASTIC VOYAGE by Rosenman (CD)
    THE MECHANIC by Fielding (CD)
    THE MEPHISTO WALTZ by Goldsmith (CD)
    LADY CAROLINE LAMB by Bennett (both LP & CD)
    AFRICA by North (both LP & CD)
    THE BAD SEED by North (LP)
    SUMMER AND SMOKE by Bernstein (both LP & CD)
    THE FOX by Schifrin (both LP & CD)
    LES MISERABLES (1952) by North (CD)
    2001 (rejected) by North (CD)
    IL FARO IN CAPO AL MONDO by Piccioni (both LP & CD)
    LO STRANIERO by Piccioni (CD)
    ANTONY AND CLEOPATRA by Scott (both LP & CD)
    LA TARANTOLA DAL VENTRE NERO by Morricone (CD)
    A MAN CALLED HORSE by Rosenman (both LP & CD)
    COMA by Goldsmith (both LP & CD)
    ABOVE AND BEYOND by Friedhofer (CD)
    DEAD RINGER by Previn (both LP & CD)
    THE TRAIN by Jarre (both LP & CD)

[this list of mine is not complete, though, because I haven't yet inventoried everything I own. The major players have been accounted for, but there's plenty left I haven't ranked into 'favorite' order, like my Brian May soundtracks, ones by M. Arnold or M. Legrand, additional faves by Duning, and so forth (especially those one-hit wonders like BUNNY LAKE IS MISSING or THE 4th MAN)]

FILM SCORES WITHOUT ALBUMS

FIGURES IN A LANDSCAPE by Bennett
    WOMAN IN THE DUNES by Takemitsu
    HOUR OF THE WOLF by Werle
    THE REINCARNATION OF PETER PROUD by Goldsmith
    ONIBABA by Hayashi
    BLACK LIKE ME by Kupferman
    LADY IN A CAGE by Glass
    THE SAVAGE EYE by Rosenman
    IL DEMONIO by Piccioni
    EMPIRE OF PASSION by Takemitsu
    THE THIRD SECRET by Arnell
    SECRET CEREMONY by Bennett

...countless others ...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    So why exactly did you just decide to stop listening to film scores in the mid to late 1970's? tongue

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2011 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    So why exactly did you just decide to stop listening to film scores in the mid to late 1970's? tongue

-Erik-

Oh ... I haven't stopped listening.

I have about 30 soundtrack CDs from year 2001, for example. I like FROM HELL by Trevor Jones and Christopher Young's THE GLASS HOUSE and more besides.

Even though the span of sound recordings I have can range from 1944's DRAGON SEED up through Beltrami's THE THING, my preferences/my favorites hover between the mid-1950s and the mid-1970s.

Indeed, R.R. Bennett's period of scoring films (from INDISCREET through 1982's RETURN OF THE SOLDIER) coincides with the decades in which movie scoring intersected with contemporary classical aesthetics.

So ... a favorites list from a soundtrack enthusiast such as myself reflects musical idioms and styles which, although no longer in current fashion, can almost be regarded as an artistic movement within the industry.

I wonder if the same could be said others' favorites?

In your case, Erik, does PRINCE VALIANT and the INDIANA JONES franchise and CUTHROAT ISLAND contain enough similar features to be linked together under a specific musical umbrella?

A lot of times, top 10 listings reveal many of the same titles because the movies themselves are genre favorites and they're not necessarily a conscious collective gathering based upon musical harmonic languages.

In short, what does your favorites list say about you and your musical interests?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Cobweb, may I ask if you are Tonerow from FSM? You seem to have similar taste and write the same way? smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2011 edited
    Thor wrote
    Cobweb, may I ask if you are Tonerow from FSM? You seem to have similar taste and write the same way? smile

Yes, I am the same person. smile

I registered here last month because FSM's site has been going down a lot lately.
    Before coming here to Main Titles, I attempted to register over at Intrada's board, but never got their permission.

So here I am, just with less to say.

The thread subjects & the members here seem to be less receptive towards vintage material, so I haven't posted much at all here.

Apparently, my tastes are so individualistic that, by just listing my favorites, I guess I stick out like a sore thumb and nobody else across the globe shares my interests in quite the same way... slant

But don't let this stop conversation on Bennett - this is thread is about him, not me!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I want to respond to you, Cobweb, but I don't have to time to write a proper response right now. But you do bring up some excellent points which I want to touch on.

But before I go, don't feel like you're sticking out like a sore thumb. While the members here do favour more modern scores there are plenty of us who love to discuss the merits of the Golden and Silver Age. I suggest you hang out the most recent Now Playing thread - http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … aying-xli/ - and share with us what you are listening to. The Now Playing threads are the most popular here at MT. You will also find interest in the Now Playing ( NON film / game / tv scores ) threads - http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … v/#Item_1.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

Thor beat me to it, I was going to ask the very same.

Welcome to MT sir beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Cobweb, I believe you'll also find this thread of interest...

http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … avourites/

A much more concise and less ecclectic version of the '5 best scores of 19...' at FSM.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

Thor beat me to it, I was going to ask the very same.

Welcome to MT sir beer

So 2 people out of thousands recognized me! biggrin

Is that your 2nd beer of the day, Timmer? spin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Not this early, just tea wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    Timmer wrote
    Cobweb, I believe you'll also find this thread of interest...

http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … avourites/

A much more concise and less ecclectic version of the '5 best scores of 19...' at FSM.

Hey - do you guys prefer IT-style organization over spur-of-the-moment inspiration?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Cobweb wrote
    Thor wrote

I registered here last month because FSM's site has been going down a lot lately.
    Before coming here to Main Titles, I attempted to register over at Intrada's board, but never got their permission.

A real hard one for me is the fact that I had a Golden Scores website but it was pretty much a failure. Some of that had to do with the fact that I had a dependence on someone else to upload material. There just wasn't a lot of interest. No one from FSM helped much. Someday it might reappear with a little help.
    Tom

The thread subjects & the members here seem to be less receptive towards vintage material, so I haven't posted much at all here.

Apparently, my tastes are so individualistic that, by just listing my favorites, I guess I stick out like a sore thumb and nobody else across the globe shares my interests in quite the same way... slant

But don't let this stop conversation on Bennett - this is thread is about him, not me!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2011
    Cobweb wrote
    Thor wrote

Don't let all the Giacchino/Powell/etc. threads deter you.

There are several of us here who like vintage stuff, me included, and also love to discuss more arty/challenging/non-mainstream films and scores. Remember our Antonioni discussions over at FSM? There's no reason we can't have a similar one here. There are some really knowledgeable people who have much to share.

Besides, the atmosphere of this board is so good, it beats Film Score "Drama Queens" Monthly to a pulp.

Glad to see you here.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    A real hard one for me is the fact that I had a Golden Scores website but it was pretty much a failure. Some of that had to do with the fact that I had a dependence on someone else to upload material. There just wasn't a lot of interest. No one from FSM helped much. Someday it might reappear with a little help.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    and again check out the chandos release.
    tom