• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2012
    NP: BRAVEHEART (James Horner)

Timeless classic!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    That one is next on my playlist. I consider Braveheart Horner's finest score and is my #7 favorite score of all time! I revisited the film over the weekend as well. A stunning piece of cinema... historical inaccuracies and all. It's a great story that was brilliantly told!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    n.p. Zimmer's Oscar (2011-12) piece, love it.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2012 edited
    Wow! Really? I thought it stunk! You can't beat THIS!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well it sounds like inception (the short ostinati below) crossed with backdraft on major scale-renditions, i thought it was pretty good although it sounded a bit 90's (not necessarily a bad thing imo). It was naive and American to my ears, pretty in the Oscars territory. The Junkie Xl, Giorgio Moroder - and - others - renditions though are plain horrible.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    That one is next on my playlist. I consider Braveheart Horner's finest score and is my #7 favorite score of all time! I revisited the film over the weekend as well. A stunning piece of cinema... historical inaccuracies and all. It's a great story that was brilliantly told!

-Erik-

It's hilariously inaccurate and OTT, still, I do enjoy the film and though Horner's score isn't his best it IS up there.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Here's a score that will probably never leave my top 10 of all time...

NP : E.T. THE EXTRATERRESTRIAL - John Williams

love
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: CutThroat Island - John Debney

F________________k yeah!

This is on my personal top 3 scores of all time list!

punk

-Erik-

I still remember the first time I listened it and how amazed (to say the least) I was after the (....amazing) end credits cue had finished. Sometimes I' d like to erase a score from my brain just to enjoy it again for the first time. With Cutthroat Island, I would have no doubt about it.

A must have, the Prometheus complete edition of Debney's music is one of my most beloved cd's. Adventure music can't get any better than this.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Fall of the Roman Empire - Dimitri Tiomkin

Not a score for the faint of heart (or indeed for the audiophile).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Speed - Mark Mancina

This is horrific.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Only if you have good taste.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Today, this sort of thing seems as laughable as Harald Faltermeyer stuff. It's amazing to think that music like this was actually once written for films. I wonder which of today's scores will prompt such reactions in future. On Speed, I stare in disbelief at the part of the album booklet which lists 100-ish orchestral players - the whole thing sounds like it was written and recorded by a five year old with a cheap keyboard in his bedroom.
  1. Are you listening to the *first* Speed score? It had a 68-piece orchestra. Part two is much better.

And I think that in years we would stare in disbelief at about half of Brian Tyler's work, really. I am quite a Mancina fan mostly after Twister. And I love Speed 2.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I am quite a Mancina fan mostly after Twister. And I love Speed 2.

Ditto.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  2. It was a lot of fun to review Speed 2 for my website and I actually bought the score recently, so yeah, I am rather biased biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote

Um? confused
    Explain?

(Which version?)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Demetris wrote

f***
    I am slightly spaced out right now, and for a moment I read this as R.I.P. Zimmer (years of birth and death) shocked
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  3. No, Matt, Hans Zimmer hasn't lived only for a year biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Speed - Mark Mancina

This is horrific.

SPEED is a superb score for an action film that redefined the genre. Not ALL the material is equally excellent, but the throbbing main theme propels the kinetic energy of the film even further. Ties it all together.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Southall wrote
    Today, this sort of thing seems as laughable as Harald Faltermeyer stuff. It's amazing to think that music like this was actually once written for films. I wonder which of today's scores will prompt such reactions in future. On Speed, I stare in disbelief at the part of the album booklet which lists 100-ish orchestral players - the whole thing sounds like it was written and recorded by a five year old with a cheap keyboard in his bedroom.

Interestingly enough, your complaint sounds like it was written 16 years ago (or when I first read similar complaints). I like the score enough for its first 10 tracks or so. It's not the best score, but it's been hugely influential.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2012
    Demetris wrote

I like it as well. Very energetic while being so minimalistic at the same time. Quite a shift from all of the serious music that he's been doing prior.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Are you listening to the *first* Speed score? It had a 68-piece orchestra. Part two is much better.

I agree with that - I remember liking the second one, so that's only added to my disappointment about finding out how bad the first one is (on album, at least - it's been a long time since I saw the fairly enjoyable film and I didn't notice the music in it at all).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    Southall wrote

Um? confused
    Explain?

(Which version?)

The La-La one. Sound is what is sometimes euphemistically labelled "archival."
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2012 edited
    Oh, right. I was wondering whether you meant the rerecording, for which I'd certainly agree with the 'not for the faint of heart' moniker... but the sound quality is sublime!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    Oh, right. I was wondering whether you meant the rerecording, for which I'd certainly agree with the 'not for the faint of heart' moniker... but the sound quality is sublime!

I haven't heard that one, sadly!
  4. The Adventures of Tintin - John Williams

Pretty much the exact opposite of War Horse. I'm really surprised that this is Williams' FIRST animation score. He should do more. The only track that I didn't like was the Bianca Castafiore cue, and I think you all can guess why. Besides that, nice work.
  5. Speaking of War Horse, I don't think any other composer can get away with the sudden burst of emotion like the one that occurs toward the end of "The Death of Topthorn."
  6. Well, maybe James Horner...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    The Adventures of Tintin - John Williams

Pretty much the exact opposite of War Horse. I'm really surprised that this is Williams' FIRST animation score. He should do more. The only track that I didn't like was the Bianca Castafiore cue, and I think you all can guess why. Besides that, nice work.

Works wonders in the film too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    I consider Braveheart Horner's finest score and is my #7 favorite score of all time!

Does it help to know it's your 7th favourite score of all time? uhm Seems a might calculating for something which, for me, is more a matter of the heart.