• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2012 edited
    Thor wrote
    Southall wrote
    Speed - Mark Mancina

This is horrific.

SPEED is a superb score for an action film that redefined the genre. Not ALL the material is equally excellent, but the throbbing main theme propels the kinetic energy of the film even further. Ties it all together.

Agree with Thor. smile

And Speed 2 is the more entertaining of the two, though I didn't think so for a long time. Lalaland set me straight on that fact. punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2012
    NP: KRULL (James Horner)

Hmmm....nah, I just don't get this. There's too much horror stingers and sneaking-around stuff. So even though it has a couple of highlights (like the "Firemares" cue, obviously), it really cannot save the total experience. This is the 2CD set, though. Maybe the single-disc version works better.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Thor wrote

Hmmm....nah, I just don't get this. There's too much horror stingers and sneaking-around stuff. So even though it has a couple of highlights (like the "Firemares" cue, obviously), it really cannot save the total experience. This is the 2CD set, though. Maybe the single-disc version works better.

*retreats to bunker and gets popcorn out*
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    The Adventures of Tintin - John Williams

Pretty much the exact opposite of War Horse. I'm really surprised that this is Williams' FIRST animation score. He should do more. The only track that I didn't like was the Bianca Castafiore cue, and I think you all can guess why. Besides that, nice work.

Animation is not a genre. This is an action adventure score and he has done many in his long and distinguished career!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    I consider Braveheart Horner's finest score and is my #7 favorite score of all time!

Does it help to know it's your 7th favourite score of all time? uhm Seems a might calculating for something which, for me, is more a matter of the heart.

Come again.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : WHITE FANG - Basil Poledouris

Liking it so far. I've seen the film once but don't remember the music at all.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote
    Thor wrote

*retreats to bunker and gets popcorn out*

flash Wise decision flash

explode explode explode explode explode bazooka
    kill kill kill explode fireworks fireworks fireworks
    explode explode explode explode explode bazooka
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Timmer wrote
    NP : WHITE FANG - Basil Poledouris

Liking it so far. I've seen the film once but don't remember the music at all.

My copy arrived this morning and I am just about to give both discs a spin.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Tim, are you willing to listen to the Zimmer part of things?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Tim, are you willing to listen to the Zimmer part of things?

But of course, and with an open ear too.

You do realise that I don't hate Zimmer....right?
  3. I know you don't. I am just curious how will it come out really, one of Zimmer's themes was available on compilation bootleg and it was a nice trumpet theme. I wonder how often is it presented in the full score.
  4. Thor wrote

wave You feeling okay today?

Because my experience of Krull is SOMEWHAT different! tongue
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. NP: White Fang - Hans Zimmer

I do wish that Zimmer's cues were not so long. There's some good passages in these longer tracks that just gets lost in amongst some less-interesting stuff. I may have to edit these down a bit.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I know you don't. I am just curious how will it come out really, one of Zimmer's themes was available on compilation bootleg and it was a nice trumpet theme. I wonder how often is it presented in the full score.

I'll let you know when I listen to it ( I see Alan is already listening to Zimmer's score ), reading the liner notes says a lot of the material from both composers wasn't in the film.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Something more familiar...

NP : BLACK GOLD - James Horner

Love it!
  6. I thought that I would start with the Zimmer score as it was the one being mentioned most at the time I pressed "play".

The trumpet theme in "The Golden Staircase" is by far the best piece on the Zimmer score for me. I don't like his choice of synths - too much like Vangelis' sound - and I don't like the way he used the pan-pipes synth(?). I am not sure that I can last too much longer with this version...
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I know you don't. I am just curious how will it come out really, one of Zimmer's themes was available on compilation bootleg and it was a nice trumpet theme. I wonder how often is it presented in the full score.

You'll be disappointed. That's not the main theme of the score.
  7. POLTERGEIST - MR. GOLDSMITH

Always a pleasure, a score which works tremendously both in the film and outside of it.

Jerry sure is the master of mixing glorious melodies with sheer terror! I always get goosebumps, it's my personal fave from the man.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: White Fang - Basil Poledouris & Hans Zimmer

After listening to both composer's contribution, I must say that I'm a bit at a loss. Both scores are some what forgettable, though Basil's more so than Hans'. The best part about Basil's score is the main sweeping theme that he's able to do so well. The rest of the score is more generic orchestral stuff that I don't remember much. You could also say the same about Hans' score, but given that he doesn't do these type of score so much, it's more notable by default. I do like the the material that he had done, though it's been reused in later scores. The action scoring is much more dynamic and "present" than in Basil's score, and this does add to the overall boldness of Zimmer's score. But I'll have to say that Zimmer's score isn't a revelation as I thought it would be. The trumpet theme only appears once, and I would have loved to hear more of it.
    In the end, I'm just happy that both score are now available. It is, ultimately, a release for completist, and die hard fans of either composers. And yes, that does included me. Really glad I got it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    POLTERGEIST - MR. GOLDSMITH

Always a pleasure, a score which works tremendously both in the film and outside of it.

Jerry sure is the master of mixing glorious melodies with sheer terror! I always get goosebumps, it's my personal fave from the man.

This prompted me to play this...

NP : POLTERGEIST II : THE OTHER SIDE - Jerry Goldsmith

Long time no play. This is the extended Intrada version which includes the Omen-like chanting music missing from previous releases, some very good music here, I particularly like the powerful build up for the 'Indian medicine man' music heard in The Power and Reaching Out and the exceptionally creepy hymn 'God Is In His Holy Temple' for the sinister Reverand Kane.

Nowhere near as great as it's predecessor but still a fine solid score.
  8. Can never get into that one... so far removed from the brilliance of the first. But hey it's Jerry, I'll take him over the majority of modern day scoring.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Can never get into that one... so far removed from the brilliance of the first. But hey it's Jerry, I'll take him over the majority of modern day scoring.

'Those' synths were well integrated into Jerry's scores by the time of Poltergeist II, if you hold the score up to POLTERGEIST then it will always fail but I still say give it another chance.

p.s. The film is pants.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I quite enjoy the film! (Yes, it is pants though.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I quite enjoy the film! (Yes, it is pants though.)

Me too! cheesy Pants don't necessarily equal unwatchable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    WELCOME HOME ROXY CAR ... CARmichael? Wtf. | thomas newman

I haven't heard many of his early works, but this one is lovely. All elements of his later career are there, but it sounds more basic. Cute main theme, that gets a great rendition at the end in the finale. Some pop elements, the sax (or was it oboe?) is coming along quite often and of course the piano and ambient sound brings the mood back of many of his albums. Good catch!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Hunger Games - James Newton Howard

I enjoy this a lot! And it gets better and better with every listen. JNH wrote an emotional and powerful theme for Katniss. It only appear in two cues but it's great, similar with the theme he composed for I Am Legend.
  9. Erik Woods wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

Pretty much the exact opposite of War Horse. I'm really surprised that this is Williams' FIRST animation score. He should do more. The only track that I didn't like was the Bianca Castafiore cue, and I think you all can guess why. Besides that, nice work.

Animation is not a genre. This is an action adventure score and he has done many in his long and distinguished career!

-Erik-

I am glad to see if I'm not the only IFMCA member who has had that thought.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Bregt wrote
    WELCOME HOME ROXY CAR ... CARmichael? Wtf. | thomas newman

I haven't heard many of his early works, but this one is lovely. All elements of his later career are there, but it sounds more basic. Cute main theme, that gets a great rendition at the end in the finale. Some pop elements, the sax (or was it oboe?) is coming along quite often and of course the piano and ambient sound brings the mood back of many of his albums. Good catch!

I'm a big fan of Newman's earlier sound. He definitely pinned down his style early, but like you say, it was a more basic, slightly lighter sound.

Check out Josh And S.A.M., Men Don't Leave and his contribution to Amazing Stories for more.
  10. Jerry Goldsmith - First Blood

cool
  11. franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

-Erik-

I am glad to see if I'm not the only IFMCA member who has had that thought.

Well, whatever. The point is, I haven't heard him do a score of such whimsy and fun in a long time, if ever.