• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2012
    Steven wrote
    The Hunger Games James Newton Howard

When he's good, he writes scores like Unbreakable. When he's not so good, he writes scores like this.

Make of that what you will.

It is awful!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    yonythemoony wrote
    It's curious how people gets so dissapointed when a composer doesn't make a generic score for a fantasy film, just like they did with Desplat with The Golden Compass and the Deathly Hallows scores.

I'm surprised you say that. For the most part, Hunger Games is exactly that. I didn't even have high hopes for it, I approached my first listen rather neutrally I must say. It has some okay moments, but nothing that I feel I need to return to any time soon.

No the score is bad and the movie is horrible from what it seems.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Le Cinéma De Georges Delerue

The monster 6 CD compilation set.
    It really is very good.
    Not every single cue is a bullseye, but then there are SO many astounding tracks like the Concerto De L'Adieu from Dien Bien Phû that it's still easily a five-star listen.

My God, My God.....but that man could write music.
    sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    He could. I don't like the dissonant cues very much (Delerue was never really very good at that) and tend to skip those tracks -- like those from "Women in Revolt" or whatever it's called -- but very few could match his bittersweet melancholy.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Le Cinéma De Georges Delerue

The monster 6 CD compilation set.
    It really is very good.
    Not every single cue is a bullseye, but then there are SO many astounding tracks like the Concerto De L'Adieu from Dien Bien Phû that it's still easily a five-star listen.

My God, My God.....but that man could write music.
    sad

What I consider one of my best buys. beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: On The Beach - Christopher Gordon

Not generic therefore awesome!

-Erik-

Now here is a composer I'd like to hear doing more film scores.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : MAD MAX BEYOND THUNDERDOME - Maurice Jarre

Magnificent score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2012 edited
    NP: Rango - Hans Zimmer (and Crew)

Works really well in the film. The full score is like the official album, but with more quirkiness. Variety of themes and differing arrangements makes it very interesting to listen to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Man From Galilee: The Film Music of Alfred Newman Prague Philharmonic

I'm not that familiar with Alfred Newman's music, and this is my first listen of this album.

It's fantastic! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Oh wait, I forgot. All old scores suck.

I'll throw this one away immediately.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Steven wrote
    Oh wait, I forgot. All old scores suck.

I'll throw this one away immediately.

Send it to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    yonythemoony wrote
    It's curious how people gets so dissapointed when a composer doesn't make a generic score for a fantasy film, just like they did with Desplat with The Golden Compass and the Deathly Hallows scores.

Though JNH already said he wouldn't be able to please everybody with this score. For me, it's the best JNH score since The Happening, and he really managed to create the perfect sounds for The Hunger Games.

I'm with you Yony. I like the score a lot. I don't think it's his best score since The Happening but I enjoy it a lot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Demetris wrote

Both the score and the movie are good.

smile
  1. SMALL SOLDIERS (GOLDSMITH & GIACCHINO)

Goldsmith's expanded film score, immediately followed by Giacchino's effort for the playstation.

Listening to these back to back means my enjoyment gauge has risen through the roof !!! cheesy

Jerry made it fun. punk Michael even more so! punk punk

LOVE EM BOTH!!!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Cristian wrote
    Demetris wrote

smile

In a parallel universe perhaps smile
  2. yonythemoony wrote

Though JNH already said he wouldn't be able to please everybody with this score. For me, it's the best JNH score since The Happening, and he really managed to create the perfect sounds for The Hunger Games.

Yony, at the risk of being terse, you come across as a bit of a groupie for whatever fantasy franchises happen to be around. Sometimes they have quality music, but I reckon it's the content of the films that's dragging it over the line for you. So can you not ever put Desplat and Newton Howard in a comparative sentence again, unless it is to contrast? tongue If James Newton Howard worries about pleasing everybody, he should go back to a point in his career when he did. (Snow Falling on Cedars, Signs, The Village).
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Here here. I wonder what his GOLDEN COMPASS or HUNGER GAMES would have sounded like.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    His Daybreakers score from a couple of years back was outstanding !
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2012 edited
    NP: ALIENS (James Horner)

Now it's nighttime -- the only time this can be played.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Demetris wrote
    Cristian wrote
    Demetris wrote

smile

In a parallel universe perhaps smile

It seems that I'm living in one!
    smile
  4. SEA DOGS - YURY POTEYENKO

Into fun music at the moment, this is adventurous half-hour fun, I bought this together with Age of Pirates and I thought I'd listen to the lesser of the two (but only because it's half as long as the other score). This is still a great album from a composer with a real talent for writing rhythmic and fully thematic cues. Wonderful!!!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    DreamTheater wrote
    SEA DOGS - YURY POTEYENKO

I bought this together with Age of Pirates

Same here! smile

Age of Pirates has a superb main theme. You can almost feel/see the sea.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE BEST OF... (John Scott)

Great compilation! Thanks a lot, Thomas. The tracks were all over the place when I transferred them to iTunes, but I assembled them and renamed them and organized them the best I could. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    franz_conrad wrote
    Yony, at the risk of being terse, you come across as a bit of a groupie for whatever fantasy franchises happen to be around.

Better than cynically dismissing any new franchise just because its "popular with teenagers"....
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  5. Scribe wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Yony, at the risk of being terse, you come across as a bit of a groupie for whatever fantasy franchises happen to be around.

Better than cynically dismissing any new franchise just because its "popular with teenagers"....

Which I didn't do, and won't do. I understand THE HUNGER GAMES is a very solid literary work. I look forward to discovering it in my own time, and following it up with the film soon after.

Cynically dismissing the work of James Newton Howard is another matter however, and almost doesn't require the adjective 'cynical' anymore. This is a composer who once proved he had lots to offer, but is now unfortunately in a position where he has much to prove again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2012
    franz_conrad wrote
    Cynically dismissing the work of James Newton Howard is another matter however, and almost doesn't require the adjective 'cynical' anymore. This is a composer who once proved he had lots to offer, but is now unfortunately in a position where he has much to prove again.

I think that's fair. He has pulled out all the stops for Shyamalan films but does seem to have just been coasting along on most other things for a number of years now. Of course, the whisperings about some of his working practices may just be malicious rumour, but there's an old saying about smoke and fire - and if in this case the smoke is indeed a result of fire then I'm sure that's the reason for it.
  6. NP: The Empire Strikes Back - John Williams

Listening to "Rescue From Cloud City / Hyperspace" at the moment and I can't believe how long it has been since I have listened to this! It is easy to forget about the classics when knee-deep in today's (mostly) lacking scores. And being so used to the original release of this the added bits for this 9-minute track are again a surprise!!

This is how it should be done.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: The Empire Strikes Back - John Williams

Listening to "Rescue From Cloud City / Hyperspace" at the moment and I can't believe how long it has been since I have listened to this! It is easy to forget about the classics when knee-deep in today's (mostly) lacking scores. And being so used to the original release of this the added bits for this 9-minute track are again a surprise!!

This is how it should be done.

So darned good even JW himself can't match it anymore.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

I think that's fair. He has pulled out all the stops for Shyamalan films but does seem to have just been coasting along on most other things for a number of years now. Of course, the whisperings about some of his working practices may just be malicious rumour, but there's an old saying about smoke and fire - and if in this case the smoke is indeed a result of fire then I'm sure that's the reason for it.

Can you elaborate on these 'malicious' rumours James?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Here here. I wonder what his GOLDEN COMPASS or HUNGER GAMES would have sounded like.

I haven't heard JNH's HUNGER GAMES so can't comment, Desplat's THE GOLDEN COMPASS I like a lot and it isn't your average generic fantasy score, now I'd love and would be excited (seriously excited to be honest) to hear that Gordon was attached to the upcoming THE AVENGERS or Scott's PROMETHEUS.