• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. christopher wrote
    LSH wrote
    Bregt wrote
    WELCOME HOME ROXY CAR ... CARmichael? Wtf. | thomas newman

I haven't heard many of his early works, but this one is lovely. All elements of his later career are there, but it sounds more basic. Cute main theme, that gets a great rendition at the end in the finale. Some pop elements, the sax (or was it oboe?) is coming along quite often and of course the piano and ambient sound brings the mood back of many of his albums. Good catch!

I'm a big fan of Newman's earlier sound. He definitely pinned down his style early, but like you say, it was a more basic, slightly lighter sound.

Check out Josh And S.A.M., Men Don't Leave and his contribution to Amazing Stories for more.

I can't speak for the other two scores (I'll have to check them out!), but Men Don't Leave has a really stunning moment in it. The rest of the score is okay - a little dated - but that finale is pure T. Newman gold - right up there with the best orchestral beauty he has composed. Checkthis out, any of you who are curious. It's a suite, but the moment I'm talking about starts with a lovely theme on solo piano that starts around 7:12 and then those quintessential Newman strings take over the theme around 8:13 and deliver something utterly gorgeous. If I could find this score commercially available, I would buy it in an instant - just for that 3 minutes of music.

What are you talking about? That whole suite of Men Don't Leave is glorious. Reason #578475 why I love Newman.
  2. Listening to that suite, it just reminds me of how much unreleased music of Newman's there is, such as Phenomenon. What an outrage.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2012 edited
    BACK TO GAYA | michael kamen

Bought this one on SAE. Starts of with a great fanfare-like cue, very Robin Hood-alike. It's the introduction of main theme, one that gets its finale near the end in the wonderful "We're free!". Many action cues and lots of brass. I haven't heard many Kamen albums, my favourites are Band of Brothers and his Holland's Opus, but this one is obviously more in the style of Robin Hood and adventure scores. His music has always some sort of sympathetic and gentle feeling, and very recognizable. Flying, We're Free, Night Flight, Big Dumb, ... All satisfying orchestral power. I like it a lot.

Not sure who did what (haven't read the booklet with interview yet), but it sounds very coherent and very much like a Kamen score.
    Kazoo
  3. Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: The Empire Strikes Back - John Williams

Listening to "Rescue From Cloud City / Hyperspace" at the moment and I can't believe how long it has been since I have listened to this! It is easy to forget about the classics when knee-deep in today's (mostly) lacking scores. And being so used to the original release of this the added bits for this 9-minute track are again a surprise!!

This is how it should be done.

So darned good even JW himself can't match it anymore.

Yeah, that period in time has definitely made some major film score fans among people, even more Williams fans.

Film music will never be as good as it was back then.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2012
    NP: John Carter - Giacchino

Big, brassy and bold. Just the way I like it!
    I love the director's liner notes where he recalls the days when you'd get your mum to drive you to the record store to buy the latest soundtrack album. I can so relate to that!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Atham wrote

I love the director's liner notes where he recalls the days when you'd get your mum to drive you to the record store to buy the latest soundtrack album. I can so relate to that!

Absolutely gorgeous themes, irresistible melodies, grand modern and epic. Impossible not to adore smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Postman - James Newton Howard

Where has this James Newton Howard gone to? Please come back.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The new La-La Land release of Jennifer 8 which includes the Young score as well as the rejected Jarre.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    GREMLINS - MR. GOLDSMITH

I have to yet to hear a modern film score that is as downright fun or wacky as what Mr. Goldsmith did here! The number of thematic ideas and wonderfully creative touches here is staggering. If you're nostalgic like me, you gotta love those smile-inducing 80s synth effects littered throughout. And they all make sense in context of what they represent in the film. Take away the score from that flick, it would actually be boring as hell. And anyone not in love with Gizmo's theme needs to have their head examined. wink
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Listening to "Rescue From Cloud City / Hyperspace" at the moment and I can't believe how long it has been since I have listened to this! It is easy to forget about the classics when knee-deep in today's (mostly) lacking scores. And being so used to the original release of this the added bits for this 9-minute track are again a surprise!!

Meh. I've given that track 2 stars in itunes.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Demetris wrote
    Atham wrote

Absolutely gorgeous themes, irresistible melodies, grand modern and epic. Impossible not to adore smile

You boys made me want to listen to it! smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : DRACULA - Wojciech Kilar

A favourite! cool

Ever heard this one Stavi?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote

A favourite! cool

Now we're talking! Somewhere in my top10 of favourite scores evah.

Peter cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Timmer wrote

A favourite! cool

What kind of question is this?! Not only once but many times! We've talked about it some years ago! It's one of my favourites! The first cue is one of the strongest openings ever written in my opinion. And the theme.... ah the theme!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Oh you! Now I have to listen to it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote

I prefer the two cues to be separated a la the Arista release but you're right... they are classic cues from a classic score! Lots of deep drama AND excitement in both cues!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Stavroula wrote
    Oh you! Now I have to listen to it!

love biggrin beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : DAYBREAKERS - Christopher Gordon

A very fine score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    plindboe wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Peter smile

And I thought you were cool... uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

A very fine score.

Indeed! Works brilliantly in the movie.
  4. Erik, I am used to the tracks being separate. But the strength of Williams' writing sustains interest over the nine minutes.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    edit
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

A very fine score.

I haven't seen the film, do you recommend it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Erik, I am used to the tracks being separate. But the strength of Williams' writing sustains interest over the nine minutes.

That's not my issue at all. Sometimes I like to listen to the cues seperately... just like the seperate cues from The Hoth Battle... I can't do that with the poorly produced RCA Victor album.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

A very fine score.

I haven't seen the film, do you recommend it?

I thought it was quite good! Not perfect, but certainly its take on a 'vampire society' was very interesting. Worth a look at the very least.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    In that case I'll check it out, I like Vampires* and Zombies and shit like that so it's not too much of a push wink

I can't bring myself to watch the Twilight stuff though
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Steven wrote
    plindboe wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Peter smile

And I thought you were cool... uhm

I'm too cool for Star Wars.

Peter cool
  5. Nathan Barr's version of the Spartacus love theme could be straight out of True Blood - both thick with cello.

Not sure about Lisbeth Scott's contribution though. Seems at odds with the rest of the track.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. At least you call it just Star Wars. That gets you some brownie points.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    True. biggrin