• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2012
    Aw man, we're all gonna have to get some cream for that burn! shocked
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2012
    plindboe wrote
    Timmer wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Steven wrote
    plindboe wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: The Empire Strikes Back - John Williams

Listening to "Rescue From Cloud City / Hyperspace" at the moment and I can't believe how long it has been since I have listened to this! It is easy to forget about the classics when knee-deep in today's (mostly) lacking scores. And being so used to the original release of this the added bits for this 9-minute track are again a surprise!!

This is how it should be done.

Meh. I've given that track 2 stars in itunes.

Peter smile

And I thought you were cool... uhm

I'm too cool for Star Wars.

Peter cool

Cool...No! FEAR? Yes!

CGI Yoda has no impact on me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLrpBLDWyCI

Peter cool

I believe I have been bested. shame
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    plindboe wrote
    Timmer wrote
    plindboe wrote

Peter cool

Cool...No! FEAR? Yes!

Peter cool

Wrong.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Under the Volcano - Alex North

An incredible work.
  1. John Williams - War Horse

I love this score, actually. I see it shortcomings, but it became one of my most-listened John Williams albums. Great themes, great action music (No Man's Land is pure brilliance for me), great thematic usage. In the movie the music goes from brilliant to serviceable to brilliant again at the end.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. Wrong thread? wink
  3. Ah, Martijn deleted his post.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2012 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Wrong thread? wink

Yes, we don't want to talk about horses in here.
    They shoot horses, don't they?

PawelStroinski wrote
    Ah, Martijn deleted his post.

Who? Me?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Timmer wrote
    plindboe wrote

Peter cool

Cool...No! FEAR? Yes!

Peter cool

Wrong.

LOL biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. John Williams - Far and Away

After listening to War Horse and ET earlier, now I am spinning this on my John Williams listening day, which happens less often than I'd want to. And this is a great adventure score.

I should pull out my Star Wars CDs. I don't mind at all the 2 CD releases, even with the quality.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Just so you know I blame you for this Tim!

Love Remembered - Dracula ~ Wojciech Kilar

Again and again and again... What can I say... all the tenderness, the longing and the despair of a love you had, you see and cannot reach for...
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm not sure whether to feel sad or punk ..... wink
  5. Both at once wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Timmer wrote

kiss
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    W.E. - Abel Korzeniowski

One of the best scores I've heard in a while!

Stunning music.
  6. Just to add about Far and Away:

The Land Race is just plain fantastic
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Just to add about Far and Away:

The Land Race is just plain fantastic

It is! cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Stavroula wrote
    Timmer wrote

kiss

shame love
  7. "The Ghost and the Darkness" (complete score)

Goldsmith (duh). Only a few tracks in. So far, no SFX.

APRIL FOOL'S, by the way.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2012
    Martijn wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Timmer wrote
    plindboe wrote

Peter cool

Cool...No! FEAR? Yes!

Peter cool

Wrong.

Haha, that doesn't scare me! cheesy

freezing
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2012 edited
    Finally got through all the Star wars scores. Judging by how many tracks I've rated at least 3 stars (i.e. like), The empire strikes back is the winner followed by The phantom menace.

IV: 6
    V: 9
    VI: 6
    I: 8
    II: 4
    III: 5

I might not be a huge fan of the entire scores, but this playlist with all the 38 tracks that I like, is a fantastic listen!

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: EARTH 2 (David Bergeaud)

Superb theme for a highly underrated series, although the horror bits of the score don't do much for me.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    yonythemoony wrote
    Cristian wrote
    The Hunger Games - James Newton Howard

I adore this score!

Me and yonythemoony, I think we are the only ones from this forum who like this score.

Nice to know that there's still open minded people on this forum smile

Yeah, if we don't like scores of less quality that feel bored and drafty, especially from someone who used to be on the a-list, then our minds are down the gutter wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Cristian wrote
    W.E. - Abel Korzeniowski

One of the best scores I've heard in a while!

Stunning music.

Absolutely!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Stavroula wrote

Again and again and again... What can I say... all the tenderness, the longing and the despair of a love you had, you see and cannot reach for...

Works just as well if you swap 'love' for 'cookie jar'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    TRANSFORMERS PRIME | brian tyler

This is the first Brian Tyler in a long time that I enjoy from start to finish. What a fantastic main theme, blaring the speakers out of their case, bombastic in every sense, but driving and propelling the score forward. Add some really good action music, swirling and nervous strings and some Tyler trademark percussion. Obviously there's a bit too much of it, but boy, I do enjoy this one!

punk
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Steven

Stavroula wrote

Works just as well if you swap 'love' for 'cookie jar'.

I won't disagree! Cookies, chocolate... a substitute of love they say... I wouldn't know! Besides, I keep my jars low. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    yonythemoony wrote
    Cristian wrote
    The Hunger Games - James Newton Howard

I adore this score!

Me and yonythemoony, I think we are the only ones from this forum who like this score.

Nice to know that there's still open minded people on this forum smile

Yeah, if we don't like scores of less quality that feel bored and drafty, especially from someone who used to be on the a-list, then our minds are down the gutter wink

I haven't heard THE HUNGER GAMES so I can't comment on the score but Yonathan, this was a very patronising remark, everyone is entitled to an opinion and you are entitled not to like an opinion but there's no need to suggest that people aren't "open minded" just because you like a score and others don't.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Timmer wrote
    This was a very patronising remark, everyone is entitled to an opinion and you are entitled not to like an opinion but there's no need to suggest that people aren't "open minded" just because you like a score and others don't.

No, I think its quite accurate to characterize opinions that automatically refuse to accept alternate, modern scoring styles for adventure films (as opposed to the traditional melodic bombast) as close-minded. Ever since Batman Begins (which is where Howard seems to have started going down this road) certain members have been harsh towards these kinds of scores by Howard, Desplat, etc, criticizing the composers and their scores for adventure films, for no other reason than that they're not melodic and bombastic (or whatever other word that is used to refer to the same "traditional" adventure film sound). That IS close-minded. Open-minded would be admitting that people who enjoy and find good in these scores has a valid point, even if you don't agree with it. Open-minded would be leveling specific, tangible complaints towards scores you don't like, rather than saying "bored and drafty" just because you don't understand what the composer and director were trying to accomplish.

It's fine to not enjoy the score. I'm not talking about that, and neither I think was yony. What I'm talking about is I don't enjoy coming here every day and having "Harry Potter 7.1 is the opposite of good!" shoved in front of my face. If you don't agree with the composer's choices and don't enjoy listening to the score, fine. But forcing everyone to read that every day is not an open-minded way to behave.

You don't have to take "not open-minded" as an insult, however. In some things it can be quite wise to be close-minded. Why is everyone so defensive about being characterized as "not open-minded"?

*btw, I'm not speaking of anyone in particular when I keep saying "you". I'm being annoyingly generic.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    keyword:
    Scribe wrote
    No, I think its quite accurate to characterize opinions that automatically refuse to accept alternate, modern scoring styles for adventure films (as opposed to the traditional melodic bombast) as close-minded.

That's fine.
    But I don't think there is ANY member on this forum that AUTOMATICALLY puts out such a sweeping generalistation (not to say anything of the suggestion that the ONLY alternative to a modern scoring style (what is a "modern scoring style", by the way?) is "melodic bombast".)
    This is the problem with broad strokes.
    They pollute any discussion (as all one would need to do is point out one exception and the entire argument is invalid) and so very seldomly render something constructive.