• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2012
    Erik Woods wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Bregt wrote
    TRANSFORMERS PRIME | brian tyler

This is the first Brian Tyler in a long time that I enjoy from start to finish. What a fantastic main theme, blaring the speakers out of their case, bombastic in every sense, but driving and propelling the score forward. Add some really good action music, swirling and nervous strings and some Tyler trademark percussion. Obviously there's a bit too much of it, but boy, I do enjoy this one!

punk

Jablonsky should take some notes wink

I find this one to be too dense... way too heavy. Not much variation in sound. It's like a migraine. It keeps pounding at you until you get nauseous. I couldn't make it through the entire album!

-Erik-

Is it like AVP? That was a migraine and a half.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Cristian wrote
    Hunger Games - James Newton Howard

I want to listen to something good before I go to bed.

Then press eject and put something better in wink

Really D? I just listened to a few track on Youtube, now I know YT isn't the best way to hear music but the little I heard I did like, I'm quite tempted to get the album.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BEOWULF - Alan Silvestri

Great score! This was the last Silvestri score that I truly enjoyed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Bregt wrote
    TRANSFORMERS PRIME | brian tyler

This is the first Brian Tyler in a long time that I enjoy from start to finish. What a fantastic main theme, blaring the speakers out of their case, bombastic in every sense, but driving and propelling the score forward. Add some really good action music, swirling and nervous strings and some Tyler trademark percussion. Obviously there's a bit too much of it, but boy, I do enjoy this one!

punk

Jablonsky should take some notes wink

I find this one to be too dense... way too heavy. Not much variation in sound. It's like a migraine. It keeps pounding at you until you get nauseous. I couldn't make it through the entire album!

-Erik-

Is it like AVP? That was a migraine and a half.

Are you talking about Tyler's AVP: Requiem? If so, then yes... and no. The biggest issue with Transformers is that it's like... like... molasses. The score is just really thick. BTW, I caught some of that Godawful AVP:R film on TV Saturday night. Terrible. Just terrible!

Man, I saw some real shit stains over the weekend, didn't I? First The Last Airbender and then AVP:R. Damn!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm sure I did a mini-review of AVP : REQUIEM on the Recent Viewing thread a couple years back? You must have missed it Erik otherwise you might never have put yourself through a film I consider worse than a dose of Kathmandu-quick step after a bad curry.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2012 edited
    I do remember your review and it was in the back of my mind while watching the movie. I was curious to see if it was as bad as you said it was. Fuck me, it was really bad.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE PHANTOM (David Newman)

Very nice score for a horrible film, especially for a longtime fan of the comic book. It was everything bad the comic book wasn't.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote

Very nice score for a horrible film, especially for a longtime fan of the comic book. It was everything bad the comic book wasn't.

One of the finest comic book scores ever written!

-Erik-
  1. John Williams - Memoirs of a Geisha

One of my all-time favorites by the composer. Brilliant, brilliant score with amazing parts by Ma and Perlman. Becoming a Geisha, Confluence and End Credits are masterpieces, the rest is just very good.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2012
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

One of the finest comic book scores ever written!

-Erik-

Totally agree!
  2. Demetris wrote
    Scribe wrote
    Also, I'm not trying to say that there aren't legitimate reasons to criticize these scores. I'm sure we all wish there were more scores like Prisoner of Azkaban and Waterworld and Back to the Future being written in 2012. But I'd rather focus on the merits of the new scores than complain about how they aren't as good as the old scores.

Nobody talked of old scores. Take JNH for instance:

SIGNS
    THE SIXTH SENSE
    THE VILLAGE
    POSTMAN
    SNOW FALLING ON CEDARS
    SIXTH SENSE
    LADY IN THE WATER
    etc
    === BRILLIANT

Hunger Games = bored, auto-pilotish drafty and well, terribly mediocre.

I haven't heard the HUNGER GAMES score yet, and so I can't comment on that one, and while I agree with D that JNH hasn't written anything of the caliber of LADY IN THE WATER since that score, I'm not quite so disenchanted with him as many of you are. There has been so little enthusiasm for the things that he has written in the last couple years that I didn't give much of it a chance, but having heard some of it now, I have to say that his score to the TOURIST is kind of cool, the first half of WATER FOR ELEPHANTS is really lovely, and "Flow Like Water" is one of my favorite cues of the last couple of years (and the rest of AIRBENDER is pretty good, too, imo).

I think the generally poor response a lot of his scores have gotten lately is a little undeserved. That said, I may find HUNGER GAMES really boring! We'll see. I am looking forward to hearing it, though, as well as his SNOW WHITE score.
  3. Scribe wrote
    Timmer wrote
    This was a very patronising remark, everyone is entitled to an opinion and you are entitled not to like an opinion but there's no need to suggest that people aren't "open minded" just because you like a score and others don't.

No, I think its quite accurate to characterize opinions that automatically refuse to accept alternate, modern scoring styles for adventure films (as opposed to the traditional melodic bombast) as close-minded. Ever since Batman Begins (which is where Howard seems to have started going down this road) certain members have been harsh towards these kinds of scores by Howard, Desplat, etc, criticizing the composers and their scores for adventure films, for no other reason than that they're not melodic and bombastic (or whatever other word that is used to refer to the same "traditional" adventure film sound). That IS close-minded. Open-minded would be admitting that people who enjoy and find good in these scores has a valid point, even if you don't agree with it. Open-minded would be leveling specific, tangible complaints towards scores you don't like, rather than saying "bored and drafty" just because you don't understand what the composer and director were trying to accomplish.

It's fine to not enjoy the score. I'm not talking about that, and neither I think was yony. What I'm talking about is I don't enjoy coming here every day and having "Harry Potter 7.1 is the opposite of good!" shoved in front of my face. If you don't agree with the composer's choices and don't enjoy listening to the score, fine. But forcing everyone to read that every day is not an open-minded way to behave.

You don't have to take "not open-minded" as an insult, however. In some things it can be quite wise to be close-minded. Why is everyone so defensive about being characterized as "not open-minded"?

*btw, I'm not speaking of anyone in particular when I keep saying "you". I'm being annoyingly generic.

Seems like shades of 'nothing in the world would seem wrong if we were all open minded enough' to me. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  4. PawelStroinski wrote

Yes, rather than being rejected, Armstrong quit on his own due to scheduling conflict.

Elliot Goldenthal and others - Heat

Brilliant album, though I am actually on a very heavy track (Armenia), which I got used to, but still dislike, because it somehow ruins the mood. Still one of THE perfect albums for me.

The Goldenthal score is also very good, in fact quite brilliant.

I agree on the Armenia track... it has an interesting feeling of dread to it, but the vocal (which never appears in the film) doesn't gel with the rest of the album.
    Another nice inclusion would have been a couple of Goldenthal's other cues from the full promo, but it is nonetheless a great CD. A personal favourite.

NP: Le Voyage en Balloon (Jean Promenides)

I wish the bits of Howard Shore's Hugo that didn't sound like this sounded more like this. Because the bits that do sound great.
  5. I agree with Thor that it's a perfect urban concept album. Somehow it's THE music of Los Angeles to me (and while Mann may possibly not agree with it, even if he speaks length of the filming locations in his commetary, to me Los Angeles is one of the main characters of the movie, sometimes even close to steal the show from the wonderful interplays between Pacino and De Niro).

Harry Gregson-Williams - Kingdom of Heaven

Also a recent purchase of mine. A very good score, even if not perfect. Yes, close to Zimmer's sensitivity in the epic material, I do enjoy the general restraint and coherence that this score actually has as opposed to the brilliant Gladiator score. Gladiator seems to be all over the place and it somehow works brilliantly. A lot has to be said about how carefully Gregson-Williams built the atmosphere in this one, which is something that he hasn't done ever since, preferring rather to barrage us with electronics in his Tony Scott scores or to give nice orchestral licks with proficiency of the genre tradition (like Sinbad or even Prince of Persia), but coming somehow a step short of being completely "in" the movie. Cowboys and Aliens is a prime example of the composer failing because he stays in the middle rather than going in any specific way with his score.

The guy has a huge proficiency with orchestra, but is a far from perfect FILM composer.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2012 edited
    Speaking of HEAT, have you heard my interview with Goldenthal last year? We spoke a little bit about the link between North African music and the music of HEAT (the link being THE GOOD THIEF):

http://montages.no/2011/11/filmfrelst-7 … oldenthal/ (interview starts some 10 minutes in)
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    k, guess we're just not allowed to talk about scores we like without being made fun of, unless they are on the list of Approved Scores.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  6. Oh don't whinge Scribe. Hardly anybody talks about the scores I like the most. Do I protest visibly?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    k, guess we're just not allowed to talk about scores we like without being made fun of, unless they are on the list of Approved Scores.

rolleyes

Again, you missed the point!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    No, I quite get the point, you get pleasure out of parading your negativity around to the detriment of people who happen to like the things you insist on being negative about.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    franz_conrad wrote
    Oh don't whinge Scribe. Hardly anybody talks about the scores I like the most. Do I protest visibly?

It's not the lack of mention of good scores, its the deliberate and incessant whining about "bad" scores that I'm tired of. I like reading other people's opinions but it's getting to the point where there's so much negativity about most new scores that it hinders my ability to enjoy them.
  7. Look if I had a nickel for every time someone told me an Alberto Iglesias score was boring and passionless, I'd be a millionaire. Instead, fortunately for me, I have an Alberto Iglesias collection, and I listen to it, regardless of what anyone thinks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Scribe wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Oh don't whinge Scribe. Hardly anybody talks about the scores I like the most. Do I protest visibly?

It's not the lack of mention of good scores, its the deliberate and incessant whining about "bad" scores that I'm tired of. I like reading other people's opinions but it's getting to the point where there's so much negativity about most new scores that it hinders my ability to enjoy them.

Damn.
    That must suck.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    Look if I had a nickel for every time someone told me an Alberto Iglesias score was boring and passionless, I'd be a millionaire. Instead, fortunately for me, I have an Alberto Iglesias collection, and I listen to it, regardless of what anyone thinks.

Alberto Iglesias sucks!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Vacuum sucks!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: BACK TO THE FUTURE III (Alan Silvestri)

This doesn't suck. It's the best of the BTTF scores, IMO, even though it plays out more like a western score than a sci fi score.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    No, I quite get the point, you get pleasure out of parading your negativity around to the detriment of people who happen to like the things you insist on being negative about.

You sir are dizzy

And again... you've missed the point!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Look if I had a nickel for every time someone told me an Alberto Iglesias score was boring and passionless, I'd be a millionaire. Instead, fortunately for me, I have an Alberto Iglesias collection, and I listen to it, regardless of what anyone thinks.

Alberto Iglesias sucks!

Stop the parade of negativity! crazy biggrin

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    What I'm talking about is I don't enjoy coming here every day and having "Harry Potter 7.1 is the opposite of good!" shoved in front of my face. If you don't agree with the composer's choices and don't enjoy listening to the score, fine. But forcing everyone to read that every day is not an open-minded way to behave.

Oh... I must have missed this when reading this thread. Glad to see someone is reading my signature!

punk

Oh, and you misquoted me... it's ""Alexandre Desplat's scores to Harry Potter 7 Pt. 1 AND 2 are the opposite of good!" And that's not me being close-minded. That's my opinion on the matter after seeing both films and listening to both scores extensively. freezing If you don't like my opinion then you can suck an egg or just ignore it! Your choice.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE DELTA FORCE (Alan Silvestri)

Funky! Love Silvestri's 80's Synclavier efforts.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Love that theme... oh wait... I'm not being negative enough! Synths suck!

I would love to hear that theme in concert with one of those old school synth drum kits, a keyboard player and a big live brass section!

punk

-Erik-