• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2012
    WHen I was a kid yes. With the ship and mother Willow (?). Great songs too!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: ROMANCING THE STONE (Alan Silvestri)

Nice mix of synths and orchestra for another nostalgia favourite film. The main theme is odd, though....it seems to build up to something all the way through (with that funk/gospel intro beat), but then it suddenly ends.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: VAN HELSING (Alan Silvestri)

My head hurts!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2012 edited
    NP: W.E. - Abel Korzeniowski

There are some absolutely GORGEOUS cues.
    The cue for Charm/Cartier Montage , and for the Abdication scene, for example. Pure BLISS.

I'm completely swooned over by this score. I could/would listen to the Oscar promo on repeat most days.

It's so sad that there aren't many album/scores like this now a day.

JUST GORGEOUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    lp wrote

The cue for Charm/Cartier Montage , and for the Abdication scene, for example. Pure BLISS.

I'm completely swooned over by this score. I could/would listen to the Oscar promo on repeat most days.

JUST GORGEOUS!

It is a gorgeous score, I love it! I've heard the film itself is 'the opposite of good', even so I'd like to see the end credits just so I could find out the piece that isn't part of the score, I will find out eventually, I always do. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Timmer wrote
    lp wrote

JUST GORGEOUS!

It is a gorgeous score, I love it! I've heard the film itself is 'the opposite of good', even so I'd like to see the end credits just so I could find out the piece that isn't part of the score, I will find out eventually, I always do. wink

I probably will see the movie just to hear the score in context. I'm thinking that the score is over compensating for the lackluster movie.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Well, film history is full of great scores for bad movies, I doubt anyone can name one major composer who hasn't done a great score for an undeserving film.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : WALKABOUT - John Barry

Both film and score are sublime and how I wish someone could find the original masters for this masterpiece of film scoring.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    Timmer wrote

Both film and score are sublime and how I wish someone could find the original masters for this masterpiece of film scoring.

I have frequently noticed your comments on this one Tim and have always failed to act upon your enthusiasm - so far.

I have downloaded the tracks for this and will listen to it later (after listening to some Franz Grothe). This better be good! wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote

I have frequently noticed your comments on this one Tim and have always failed to act upon your enthusiasm - so far.

I have downloaded the tracks for this and will listen to it later (after listening to some Franz Grothe). This better be good! wink

I'm presuming you've downloaded the Silva recording and not the poor sounding boot of the original?

The score is only about 25 minutes long and is ( I think ) beautiful with some magical and original choral moments, you may ( or may not as the case may be? ) be pleased to know that the didgereedo only appears in one track and very effective it is too,

Please let me know what you thought after hearing this score.

"this better be good" YIKES! freezing
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Timmer wrote
    Well, film history is full of great scores for bad movies, I doubt anyone can name one major composer who hasn't done a great score for an undeserving film.

I'm reminded of those Golden Age scores where the music had to do much of the leg work to either heighten or get the emotion across to the audience. I'd hardly consider Abel's score to be as overwrought as those pioneering efforts, but one wonders...
  1. Thomas Newman - American Beauty

The original CD came to me today and I expected it next week.

A classic. Just brilliant.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    lp wrote

JUST GORGEOUS!

YEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS it is

punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : CONAN THE DESTROYER - Basil Poledouris

BRILLIANT! This recording was a true revelation for those who were underwhelmed by the original recording.
  2. Timmer wrote
    I'm presuming you've downloaded the Silva recording and not the poor sounding boot of the original?

The score is only about 25 minutes long and is ( I think ) beautiful with some magical and original choral moments, you may ( or may not as the case may be? ) be pleased to know that the didgereedo only appears in one track and very effective it is too,

Please let me know what you thought after hearing this score.

"this better be good" YIKES! freezing

I've had a listen to Barry's Walkabout and, on balance, it's a good addition to the selection of scores I have of his. It has been years since I have seen the film but Barry's music is ideal for the open vistas of the outback - and he doesn't disappoint.

But there are a couple of things that I am not so keen on: the presence of the didgeridoo is something that I would want to miss next time. I would like to hear this piece in its original form rather than as a re-recording to see how it sounds on the original soundtrack; and I am not too keen on the choral parts - the wordless portions are okay but I don't like the spoken parts.

So, you're off the hook Tim...mostly!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    biggrin

I love it all! I just can't imagine a score like this being written for a film like this now, it would probably be Eastern flavoured complete with lamenting women. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Borsalino - Claude Bolling

A great score to the excellent Delon/Belmondo gangster caper, that hinges greatly on 1920's jazz styles (with a clear European twist: after all it's about Marseillean gangsters!) and the jaunty main theme. A wonderful and very enjoyable listen throughout, mainly because the tracks are mostly quite jazz or dancehall based, and minimise underscore or less melodic material.

Nice, and uncomplicated.
    I like it like that sometimes. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Timmer wrote
    biggrin

I love it all! I just can't imagine a score like this being written for a film like this now, it would probably be Eastern flavoured complete with lamenting women. wink

It's funny you mention this. Barry's style is so distinctive that it's almost like using lamenting women or duduk: the style of Barry is recognisable across the various films he scored (and I am not judging this as good or bad).

Maybe it's an "off-the-shelf" sound (sweeping, wide-open vista music) that was wanted back then?
  4. Timmer wrote
    NP : CONAN THE DESTROYER - Basil Poledouris

BRILLIANT! This recording was a true revelation for those who were underwhelmed by the original recording.

It sure is... I remember not thinking too highly of it the only time I heard the album, the Varèse wasn't it?

Along comes this new recording, and blam, what a difference that makes... punk

Another buy I'm glad is the opposite of wasted garbage. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    DreamTheater wrote
    It sure is... I remember not thinking too highly of it the only time I heard the album, the Varèse wasn't it?

Along comes this new recording, and blam, what a difference that makes... punk

You 'n' me both, kid.
    You 'n' me both!
    punk
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    I can't say I've heard the wolf cry to the blue corn moon myself.

You haven't lived.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Allonsanfan - Ennio Morricone

This is one of those. You know what I mean.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Southall wrote
    Allonsanfan - Ennio Morricone

This is one of those. You know what I mean.

Indeed, one of those.

Peter smile
  5. I think I hear it coming.

NP: Days of Heaven (Ennio Morricone)

Although I like the nicer music more than the grim stuff, this is another one of those.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2012
    Thor wrote
    I don't know if Spain has any John Williams-type composer. Illaramendi, perhaps, especially when he ventures into the 'religious sound'?

Love this composer, can't find enough from him though.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Cristian wrote
    lp wrote

JUST GORGEOUS!

YEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS it is

punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk

Oh yeah! Surely an inspired moment for him!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    biggrin

It's funny you mention this. Barry's style is so distinctive that it's almost like using lamenting women or duduk: the style of Barry is recognisable across the various films he scored (and I am not judging this as good or bad).

Maybe it's an "off-the-shelf" sound (sweeping, wide-open vista music) that was wanted back then?

I'll have to think on this a bit more, I sort of get you but you totally lost me by equating the lamenting women bit.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Thor wrote
    NP: RICOCHET (Alan Silvestri)

This might be the most Herrmann-inspired score Silvestri ever did. I like the Ice-T title song too. Old-school rap!

Haven't heard it in a while but was What Lies Beneath Herrman-esque at all?

Tombstone - Bruce Broughton

A truly great Western score - probably my favourite non-Goldsmith one alongside Wyatt Earp - with gorgeous themes and some very muscular action cues. Hasn't aged a bit.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    The Ward - Mark Kilian

Has some interesting creepy moments but struggling to get through this. Too much of it sounds like generic and cheap sound design.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    David OC wrote
    The Ward - Mark Kilian

Has some interesting creepy moments but struggling to get through this. Too much of it sounds like generic and cheap sound design.

I thought it was pretty good! The movie was fun and the score has some very clever parts...have you watched the flick yet?