• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2012
    David OC wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: RICOCHET (Alan Silvestri)

This might be the most Herrmann-inspired score Silvestri ever did. I like the Ice-T title song too. Old-school rap!

Haven't heard it in a while but was What Lies Beneath Herrman-esque at all?

Yeah, that too. Silvestri frequently taps into Herrmann territory, especially with certain ostinati and those 'chord-stop' effects in his action music.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2012 edited
    NP: VOYAGES: THE FILM MUSIC JOURNEYS OF... (Alan Silvestri)

IMO, one of the best composer compilations ever!

And with that, I'm through with my Silvestris for now.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. SUPERMAN IV: THE QUEST FOR PEACE - ALEXANDER COURAGE & JOHN WILLIAMS

One of the most enjoyable scores ever. Fantastic old-school symphonic greatness!!!! That pulsating Nuclear man theme is addictive as hell!

How is it that some of the all-time bad films get such rousing music?

Bad films nowadays don't even get that anymore.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    SUPERMAN IV: THE QUEST FOR PEACE - ALEXANDER COURAGE & JOHN WILLIAMS

One of the most enjoyable scores ever. Fantastic old-school symphonic greatness!!!! That pulsating Nuclear man theme is addictive as hell!

It's a nice score, including the new Williams themes, but my favourite bit is actually the synth instrumentals and songs!
    I am extremely serious.
  2. The songs? I heard them once, but not twice for the love of god. vomit
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    He, he....yeah, I figured they weren't your cuppa tea.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote

DreamTheater wrote

This is one of those films where you can literally see the money running out as it's being made. Even with a full budget it'd still be junk.

Very fine score though.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote

It's hands down the best Superman sequel score. That includes Ottman's underwhelming effort for Superman Returns!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Mark Mancina - Bad Boys

Finally got my hands on this. Fun score, not as good and well-rounded as Speed 2 is, but still a good release and pure fun. La-La Land had it sold out, but SAE had it and it was in the mail today.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: DINOSAUR (James Newton Howard)

Great score...."The Egg Travels" is a classic JNH track.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Michael Giacchino - The Incredibles

Great Bond pastiche for a film I still have to see (I do intend to do so!), but not in the mood for it at the moment. One of Giacchino's best though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The River - Johnny Williams

Very nice stuff. A bit dated, but then, so is my neighbour's carpet, and I don't complain about that.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Michael Giacchino - The Incredibles

Great Bond pastiche for a film I still have to see (I do intend to do so!), but not in the mood for it at the moment. One of Giacchino's best though.

Good score, good film.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Yeah, the John Barry licks are brilliant.
  6. PawelStroinski wrote
    Mark Mancina - Bad Boys

Finally got my hands on this. Fun score, not as good and well-rounded as Speed 2 is, but still a good release and pure fun. La-La Land had it sold out, but SAE had it and it was in the mail today.

Like it too, I remember me ripping the isolated score from the DVD, burning it and listening to it a couple of times, found it good fun, and a couple of years it was released for real. I always like it when I put a lot of time into something, and the thing gets released sometime later. crazy

No seriously, the official release sounds much better than the isolated score, with all those awful volume changes, exactly where the dialogue is supposed to be. You can imagine that doesn't make for a great listen. Just as with Speed, this is the kind of Mancina I think really brought something to this genre of film, a kind of fun, uncomplicated approach to film scoring.
  7. Erik Woods wrote
    It's hands down the best Superman sequel score. That includes Ottman's underwhelming effort for Superman Returns!

-Erik-

I take it you've never seen the 'John Ottman scoring Superman Returns' featurette on Youtube. It may well make you change your mind.

Quick, someone post the link. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Good score, good film.

There's an understatement!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2012 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I take it you've never seen the 'John Ottman scoring Superman Returns' featurette on Youtube. It may well make you change your mind.

Quick, someone post the link. wink

biggrin

I've seen and heard enough!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Good score, good film.

There's an understatement!

FACT!

Both are GREAT!

Better? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHTTTTT!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    They're all statements!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: PAPILLON (Jerry Goldsmith)

Classic! I remember hearing a street musician on the subway in Oslo playing the theme on his accordion a few years ago.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2012
    Frankie Starlight - Elmer Bernstein

This is really quite something.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Hm, it is, rather!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2012 edited
    Thor wrote
    I can't answer for Bregt, but I thought the movie was classic 90's Disney and the score/songs are superb!

Bregt wrote
    WHen I was a kid yes. With the ship and mother Willow (?). Great songs too!

As a kid it didn't impress me so much, and after growing up I thought the music didn't match the visual... I felt weird when the (relatively) realistically-drawn native Americans started singing in Broadway style! dizzy

And I didn't like the score because it's sometimes overdramatic. But I do like Color of The Wind, especially the blue corn moon part. Aooooooooooooo

NP: local AM radio
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  8. John Powell - Bourne Ultimatum

Today I have a day with former Zimmer associates. Started with Kingdom of Heaven (Harry Gregson-Williams), then went to Bad Boys (Mark Mancina) and now this, the only part of the series I own at the moment, though I do know the rest of the scores.

This is by far the most dramatic and serious of them all. Like Goldsmith in his Rambo works, Powell managed to created a series of scores, where all of them have a different sound, while maintaining thematic continuity. This always deserves kudos. Identity is the most gritty of them all, an electronic tour-de-force, which is sometimes difficult to listen. Supremacy is the most fun of them all, very hip, while retaining the tragedy of the story at heart (rarely discussed Atonement) and Supremacy has the dark drama and has the electronics even more buried in the mix (though the mix of Ultimatum is quite bass-heavy, especially for Powell standards).

The setpieces of the score are amazing, most importantly Tangiers, but Waterloo is also great.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I listened to that last night - it's my own favourite of the Bourne scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Beowulf - Alan Silvestri

I like it a lot! Much more than I remembered, in fact.