• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2012
    Southall wrote
    Beowulf - Alan Silvestri

I like it a lot! Much more than I remembered, in fact.

For me it's the last good score I heard by him.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Beowulf - Alan Silvestri

I quite liked A Christmas Carol. I really liked Captain America.
  1. I'd like to nominate Southall for Best Post of April 2012, but technically it's a post made over at FSM:

I sincerely hope that the score for Prometheus is wonderful. Having heard all of Streitenfeld's previous music, and a lot of Gregson-Williams's, I doubt it will be. That's all. I don't KNOW that the Big Mac I eat tomorrow will taste just the same as the Big Mac I ate yesterday, but I can take a pretty good guess.

NOM NOM NOM

tongue
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I know I will enjoy Prometheus if only for the fascinating sound design that Streitenfeld and HGW both bring to each of their projects. Of course, it would help if the music itself were great too... smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Beowulf - Alan Silvestri

I quite liked A Christmas Carol. I really liked Captain America.

Me too. Well, I enjoy Captain America as much as one can enjoy mindless action music (which is quite a lot).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It is!

I am beginning to think that Alan Silvestri is the film composer who has been most underrated by me over the years. Have listened to a lot of his stuff today. There's just something about his action music which makes it sound a bit harsh, I think that's been a large part of the problem - maybe the way it's recorded? I don't think he does himself any favours with 70+ minute albums for things like The A-Team and GI Joe - all-out-action scores, whoever they're by, just don't work at that length. But taken in smaller doses, I find his stuff really impressive.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Hook (that new album) John Williams

'Sword Fight' is a cue I've been waiting for a long time to hear in listenable quality. I am not disappointed.
  2. So you have it? I'm so envious right now. I'll probably have to wait another two, three weeks. sad

Most anticipated release in a long time for me.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: The Escape Artist - Georges Delerue

Gorgeous main theme (as always), and assorted loveliness, if one edits out the rather mundane suspense cues.

Followed by: the 6-CD MONSTER DELERUE CD BOX.

It just doesn't come much better than this.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Southall wrote
    I don't think he does himself any favours with 70+ minute albums for things like The A-Team and GI Joe - all-out-action scores, whoever they're by, just don't work at that length. But taken in smaller doses, I find his stuff really impressive.

Predator and Eraser (LLL release) work pretty well IMO. And so will Judge Dredd if and when that gets the expanded treatment. It's just his action scores from recent times haven't been nearly as great as those three.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote

Me too, it's one of my favourite scores.
  4. John Williams - Memoirs of a Geisha

Just to say that Confluence is just breathtakingly beautiful, one of the very best tracks Williams wrote in last decade...
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. Strong agreement here.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2012
    DreamTheater wrote
    So you have it? I'm so envious right now. I'll probably have to wait another two, three weeks. sad

Really? Postage is that slow in Belgium? Would it be terribly bad if I said I received it this week as well, in the Netherlands? Would it be rubbing things in? Shall I not mention it's wonderful, then?
  6. NP: Pina (Various Artists)

Wim Wenders films always pulse with fine music, but even by those standards this is a great album. Eclectic genre compilation, and for me, the best soundtrack album I've heard in a while. (sometimes it's a benefit to an album that it isn't all music in the same idiom emerging from the same compositional voice.)
  7. NP: Vertigo (Bernard Herrmann)

The 'Main Title' always manages to pull me into this romantic whirlpool, climaxing with the PERFECT 'Scene D'amour'. This man may have been hard to work with, but I'm glad someone was willing to endure it to get a result like this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    To Kill a Mockingbird - Elmer Bernstein

Wow. This sounds as fresh and beautiful today as it ever did. Bernstein never did anything finer - thinking about it, few people have done anything finer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD (Alfred Newman)

Appropriate for the holidays, I guess.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    The Rum Diary - Christopher Young
    Thanks to the peoples who convinced me to get this a while ago...even though I don't normally like jazz, it's quite nice.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  8. Dario Marianelli - Salmon Fishing in the Yemen

A nice enough, warm and breezy score combining typical Marianelli style with Celtic/Arabic ethnic interplay. Nothing groundbreaking, but also not offensive. I like Marianelli's restraint.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Back to the Future - Alan Silvestri

Will this be the time..?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    To get back in the time?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Dare I say... had this album been produced with any intelligence then I'd probably have a considerably higher opinion of this score. All those tiny cues... that awful source music just shoved in the middle to completely disrupt the flow... it's awful. But I do like the score more and more as time goes by.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's about time!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    If only we had a DeLorean with a flux capacitor so we could go back in time and tell them to produce a better album.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ...back to the motherfucking future.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Southall wrote
    Been watching Deadwood again?

One of my favorite scene:

Mister Wu wants those cocksuckers
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4er5eEMGrFQ

Brilliant!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Cristian wrote
    Southall wrote

One of my favorite scene:

Mister Wu wants those cocksuckers
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4er5eEMGrFQ

Brilliant!

I didn't watch because I'm watching the full series for the first time. ( Still on the first season )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote

I was thinking more Bo-Selecta.