• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: Contagion (Cliff Martinez)

A pretty addictive main theme. I think I mostly enjoy this one a bit more than DRIVE as an album experience. DRIVE is nice and chilled, but a bit shapeless as a listening experience. There's a bit more dynamism here.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2012
    Southall wrote
    Southall wrote
    I don't believe in coincidence.

Having said that, I saw a man earlier who was wearing a coat very similar to one my father used to wear. I asked him where he bought it, he said it was from a shop in South Shields called R.G. Jones Clothing. When I got home, I thought I'd Google the shop, and lo and behold, there was a picture of the proprietor (Andy Jones - R.G.'s grandson) with a celebrity guest. I thought - I know that face. Sure enough, it was Conrad Pope. And guess what coat he was modelling - that's right, it's the same one as my father's and this mystery man I met earlier! I thought nothing more would come of this, but on my way to the greengrocer's this evening I saw the very same man - he was out walking his dog. I pulled the car over to say hello, and ask if he was still enjoying the coat. He said he was, but there was an irritating lump in the lining. We decided to investigate and it turned out to be a sheet of manuscript paper. We managed to ease it out of the lining and couldn't quite believe it, but it was the full orchestral score for "The Train" from The Legend of Zorro! Pope must have accidentally left it in there when he was modelling the coat! My new friend said "You know what, I always thought this sounded like "Battle of the Heroes" - wasn't that also orchestrated by Conrad Pope?" I said it was, but I didn't believe in coincidence.

True story!

I like true stories. FACT!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    The full orchestral score for "The Train" only requires a single sheet of manuscript paper? shocked

Reluctantly I must call into doubt the veracity of this fine tale... slant
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2012 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Contagion (Cliff Martinez)

A pretty addictive main theme. I think I mostly enjoy this one a bit more than DRIVE as an album experience. DRIVE is nice and chilled, but a bit shapeless as a listening experience. There's a bit more dynamism here.

I agree with you. I've listened to it quite a few times since it appeared. In one sense, it's a rather cold and 'stubborn' (for lack of a better word) score. But I find it attractive to listen to. It's even quite catchy! I really like the tracks at the beginning and end, and the crashing piano that introduces the main theme.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Contagion (Cliff Martinez)

I feel the opposite (DRIVE has the...uhm, drive as a soundtrack experience, while CONTAGION is more gritty, raw, industrial and hard-to-digest). But I like both.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: HÅKON HÅKONSEN (Patrick Doyle)

AKA SHIPWRECKED to you foreigners, a Norwegian film from 1990 that I have a strong nostalgic connection to. The score is also one of Doyle's very best, probably my favourite of his. Piratey, but with many Norwegian folk elements as well.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: MARY SHELLEY'S FRANKENSTEIN (Patrick Doyle)

Too bombastic!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote

Too bombastic!

You're weird. Really. dizzy
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I know. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING (Patrick Doyle)

Love the main theme/song ("Sigh no More") and bits and pieces, but the chord-stop effects are never far away.

And that's it for my Doyles.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. He's right though, on FRANK. If there was more of that lovely love theme, that album would begin to be worth all the earaches.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    No, he's not right.

He has an aberrant opinion that you choose to follow.
    A bit like Scientology, actually.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Thor wrote

Too bombastic!

Give me Doyle in this mode over anything of his later output. Me, I'm a lover of bombast (it's the score that made me notice him) though Frankenstein has a nicely balanced mix of the bombastic and the lovely IMO.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thor wrote

Too bombastic!

Give me Doyle in this mode over anything of his later output. Me, I'm a lover of bombast (it's the score that made me notice him) though Frankenstein has a nicely balanced mix of the bombastic and the lovely IMO.

It has a little bit of both, true, but it is far from balanced, IMO.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Well that's your opinion IMHO. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thor wrote

Too bombastic!

yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Fast Five - Brian Tyler

This is his most enjoyable album/score so far. Works really well in the equally enjoyable movie.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : LITTLE BUDDHA - Ryuichi Sakamoto

Fabulous score and quite probably in my all time top 50.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Timmer wrote

How is it compared to his work on The Last Emperor (if you've heard it, of course).
  5. I went to see the manager of a radio station to ask if I could put together a show of scores, once a month or what ever. He gave me some lines of such Grade A Bullhockey, I can't believe he thought I would buy it. I wanted to tell him to fuck off, in some way, but decided against it.

Cut to less than a year from that meeting. Said station is now playing a show of film scores.

DICK HOLE.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote

Too bombastic!

I've never been able to make it through this album. (Literally.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    justin boggan wrote
    I went to see the manager of a radio station to ask if I could put together a show of scores, once a month or what ever. He gave me some lines of such Grade A Bullhockey, I can't believe he thought I would buy it. I wanted to tell him to fuck off, in some way, but decided against it.

Cut to less than a year from that meeting. Said station is now playing a show of film scores.

DICK HOLE.

It must have been just you he didn't like then, rather than your idea! wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    lp wrote
    Timmer wrote

How is it compared to his work on The Last Emperor (if you've heard it, of course).

I love The Last Emperor. Little Buddha is a far more varied score from sad and melancholic to huge and epic with lots of ethnic Asian touches inbetween, very melodic, I have no hesitation in saying it's my favourite of his scores ( I have around 10 ) I can't recommend it highly enough.
  6. Southall wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    I went to see the manager of a radio station to ask if I could put together a show of scores, once a month or what ever. He gave me some lines of such Grade A Bullhockey, I can't believe he thought I would buy it. I wanted to tell him to fuck off, in some way, but decided against it.

DICK HOLE.

No, you could see it in his face -- he didn't care, he didn't want to be bothered by anybody not in his office.

I should call in and tell them it sucks. ;-)

Nah.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    justin boggan wrote
    Southall wrote
    justin boggan wrote

DICK HOLE.

No, you could see it in his face -- he didn't care, he didn't want to be bothered by anybody not in his office.

I should call in and tell them it sucks. ;-)

Nah.

Or you could visit other radio stations in the area... college and classical stations would be your best bet... and pitch your program idea. Also, do a demo, a show outline, a little bio on yourself, why you would be the right fit for their station, etc.

Put some effort into it and you might be rewarded.

Or you could start an on-line program like mine. Maybe do that for a while and then go to radio stations and tell them that you have an already established program that might interest terrestrial radio listeners.

When I pitched my show in 1996 I did a 5 page write up which included who I was, show ideas, a list of my entire collection (50-60 CD's at the time), why my show would be a good fit at the station, a demo tape, etc. It did help that I was a student at the college but I was on the air two weeks later.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  7. I was listening to the expanded HOOK earlier today (I know, my copy hasn't shipped yet but I couldn't resist, you know me being a pirate and all, ...) but anyway I wish I could say it's a perfect release but there are some minor things that bother me, even though I'm perfectly happy with all the music on offer and I am delighted to have everything in such glorious sound quality.

I can live with the cues reassembled not chronologically but how they appeared on the first album. It's just I had gotten used to my own Hook and how I made it as complete and chronological as possible. Still not a very big deal, I'll get used to this as well.

But the one thing I was afraid of, and this may be a totally miniscule thing to most score fans, but to me this has always been a undeniable touch of Williams magic that existed in the film version of the cue and sadly is not present on the new LLL-release. I'm talking about 'The Never-feast' and at the 1:10 mark there is about 25 seconds which has not been included, yet exists on the bootlegs and is also heard in the film. I'm really wondering why they forgot to include this small part, when most other cues have been expanded. To me that film version has ALWAYS been superior to the regular truncated one (on the album).

Just wanted to put this out there in case somebody else had noticed this.

Oh and The Ultimate War (all 17 minutes of it) is definitely Mr. Williams at his swashbuckling best.

FACT !!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Journey - Austin Wintory

Beautiful, contemplative music. This is for a video game!?
  8. Southall wrote
    Journey - Austin Wintory

And why shouldn't video games deserve a score the way you describe it? Video games have really matured over the recent years, and they now tell more intricate stories than your average Hollywood flick. smile
  9. Southall wrote
    Journey - Austin Wintory

It is apparently.

I was just listening to this myself and I was quite surprised at what it was like. I have been reading peoples' positive comments on this music for a week or two (I assume from people who have been playing the game), and had assumed that it was going to be the usual bombastic-styled music of a lot of game music. But, it is far from that. "Meandering" was what I thought of it - not in a negative way, rather it's a style that I think would fit very well with a game where the character(s) goes off on a journey with the world around them passing them by.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2012
    I am not as well-versed in video game scores as a lot of you guys. I've heard a lot less and am generally less positive about it. I've only listened to Journey once. Can't wait to listen to it again. There seemed a genuine depth to it, real emotion and feeling, that I haven't heard in a game score before.