• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Erik Woods wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    Southall wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    I went to see the manager of a radio station to ask if I could put together a show of scores, once a month or what ever. He gave me some lines of such Grade A Bullhockey, I can't believe he thought I would buy it. I wanted to tell him to fuck off, in some way, but decided against it.

Cut to less than a year from that meeting. Said station is now playing a show of film scores.

DICK HOLE.

It must have been just you he didn't like then, rather than your idea! wink

No, you could see it in his face -- he didn't care, he didn't want to be bothered by anybody not in his office.

I should call in and tell them it sucks. ;-)

Nah.

Or you could visit other radio stations in the area... college and classical stations would be your best bet... and pitch your program idea. Also, do a demo, a show outline, a little bio on yourself, why you would be the right fit for their station, etc.

Put some effort into it and you might be rewarded.

Or you could start an on-line program like mine. Maybe do that for a while and then go to radio stations and tell them that you have an already established program that might interest terrestrial radio listeners.

When I pitched my show in 1996 I did a 5 page write up which included who I was, show ideas, a list of my entire collection (50-60 CD's at the time), why my show would be a good fit at the station, a demo tape, etc. It did help that I was a student at the college but I was on the air two weeks later.

-Erik-

The market here isn't that varied and listeners that diverse. There is only one, in the county, that would play such material. All others are song-only stations, and a couple talk radio stations (and some of those are merely counted as being broadcast in the area, but originate not from within).

I know the limits and how to put forth effort.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. Timmer wrote
    NP : LITTLE BUDDHA - Ryuichi Sakamoto

Fabulous score and quite probably in my all time top 50.

Agreed. Top score. smile
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. Thor wrote
    NP: MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING (Patrick Doyle)

Love the main theme/song ("Sigh no More") and bits and pieces, but the chord-stop effects are never far away.

And that's it for my Doyles.

Meaning you do not own Doyle's gorgeous music for the film WAH WAH? It is really lovely. For a fellow bombast-non-lover, I recommend this one very highly. It is my favorite score of his. I have no idea what the odd title of the film refers to, but the music is outstanding.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2012 edited
    Southall wrote
    I am not as well-versed in video game scores as a lot of you guys. I've heard a lot less and am generally less positive about it. I've only listened to Journey once. Can't wait to listen to it again. There seemed a genuine depth to it, real emotion and feeling, that I haven't heard in a game score before.

I don't know what Journey sounds like, but check out this theme from the game Heavy Rain. It's a very emotionally engaging game and the music reflects and actually drives the player's own involvement in the game's progression.

Or the music accompanying the brilliant introduction of Shadow of the Colossus.

I love these lyrical and completely mesmerizing melodies. As with film scores, they manage to transport the videogame medium into the realm of the unforgettable (for me at least).
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2012
    christopher wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING (Patrick Doyle)

Love the main theme/song ("Sigh no More") and bits and pieces, but the chord-stop effects are never far away.

And that's it for my Doyles.

Meaning you do not own Doyle's gorgeous music for the film WAH WAH? It is really lovely. For a fellow bombast-non-lover, I recommend this one very highly. It is my favorite score of his. I have no idea what the odd title of the film refers to, but the music is outstanding.

That's my favourite Doyle too. A man of Thor's "no bombast!" tastes should buy it without hesitation!
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    This morning heard War Horse outside of the (awful) film for the first time - and it does sound so much more varied and interesting on its own.

Basic Instinct - Jerry Goldsmith

Haven't heard ithis in ages but it has that slinky/sexy flow which distinguishes it. The 2 action tracks are fairly standard by Goldsmith standards; in fact, weirdly, when 'Roxy Loses' hits top gear I thought I was listening to The River Wild instead (which I've heard a couple of times recently).
  4. A SYMPHONY OF HOPE: THE HAITI PROJECT - VARIOUS FILM COMPOSERS

This gets my vote for finest film score never written for a film. Emotional and powerful!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    I am not as well-versed in video game scores as a lot of you guys. I've heard a lot less and am generally less positive about it. I've only listened to Journey once. Can't wait to listen to it again. There seemed a genuine depth to it, real emotion and feeling, that I haven't heard in a game score before.

Give Sea Dogs 3 a listen by Yuri Poteyenko. Pretty much adheres to that description too. (Plus action music.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote
    A SYMPHONY OF HOPE: THE HAITI PROJECT - VARIOUS FILM COMPOSERS

This gets my vote for finest film score never written for a film. Emotional and powerful!

I find it a bit a of a mess really. Some parts are nice, but "Too many cooks..." as they say.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    DreamTheater wrote
    Southall wrote

I don't know what Journey sounds like, but check out this theme from the game Heavy Rain. It's a very emotionally engaging game and the music reflects and actually drives the player's own involvement in the game's progression.

Or the music accompanying the brilliant introduction of Shadow of the Colossus.

I love these lyrical and completely mesmerizing melodies. As with film scores, they manage to transport the videogame medium into the realm of the unforgettable (for me at least).

I really like Shadow of the Colossus. It's perfect for the game it's scored for (which I love!).

Also your thoughts on the La La Land Hook release are spot on!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    At this rate I am soon going to have more Brian Tyler scores in my collection than John Williams scores.
    That is slightly disturbing.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Just
    Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

I find it a bit a of a mess really. Some parts are nice, but "Too many cooks..." as they say.

I don't get that from the album whatsoever. I think it's a cohesive and well thought out work!

NP: The NeverEnding Story - Klaus Doldinger and Giorgio Moroder

Wow! What a trip down nostalgia lane! "Bastian's Happy Flight" is absolutely magical!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorworkaluk
    NP - OUTBREAK - James Newton Howard

Excellent score, sadly no extended or complete version yet, the Varese cd gives us a preview but doesn't let us hear the magnificent pieces of action music that Howard composed for this, still it's a great score by Howard.

Favourite Track - Finding The Ship punk punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

I don't think it comes across like that at all, in fact if I didn't know there were 20+ composers involved I would just as easily thought it was the work of an individual, it flows nicely and is cohesive. It's NOT the finest score never written for a film as Gilles says ( Maurice Ravel's DAPHNIS & CHLOE is my top contender by a long shot ) but I agree with him that it's very good.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

I don't think it comes across like that at all, in fact if I didn't know there were 20+ composers involved I would just as easily thought it was the work of an individual, it flows nicely and is cohesive. It's NOT the finest score never written for a film as Gilles says ( Maurice Ravel's DAPHNIS & CHLOE is my top contender by a long shot ) but I agree with him that it's very good.

It gets my vote, I never said its the finest ever. wink Besides it's the only non-film score that sounds like one that I know of.

I don't understand why it could be called a mess, it's as consistent as anything I've heard by a single composer. Avatar is more messy than this (back at ya Steven) tongue
  6. Steven wrote
    Southall wrote

Give Sea Dogs 3 a listen by Yuri Poteyenko. Pretty much adheres to that description too. (Plus action music.)

There is a Sea Dogs 3? I only know of Sea Dogs and Age of Pirates by Poteyenko, both of which entertain me endlessly.
  7. Atham wrote
    Also your thoughts on the La La Land Hook release are spot on!

I forgot to mention there are some weird edits in 'The Ultimate War part I' (nothing horrible really, but having heard the original countless times already it's instantly noticeable. Also wondering why they did this.

Plus some slight volume drops in parts II and III. It seems to me these occur at precisely the time dialogue would appear.

But what the hell am I complaining about. It's the quality of the music that counts. And that music ROCKS !!! punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

It gets my vote, I never said its the finest ever. wink Besides it's the only non-film score that sounds like one that I know of.

I don't understand why it could be called a mess, it's as consistent as anything I've heard by a single composer. Avatar is more messy than this (back at ya Steven) tongue

Never take me too seriously Gilles, it's only my opinion wink

As a recommendation I would say check out the Ravel piece I mentioned, very influential on the likes of Goldsmith ( Legend, Nimh etc ), Williams and others, Ray Harryhausen even wanted to make a stop-motion movie set to this piece.

More up to date I seriously recommend you give Mike Oldfield's fully orchestral Music of The Spheres a listen, if this had been a film score it would be in my top 10 of the 00's.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    I forgot to mention there are some weird edits in 'The Ultimate War part I' (nothing horrible really, but having heard the original countless times already it's instantly noticeable. Also wondering why they did this.

Yeah... loops are noticeable and annoying!

DreamTheater wrote
    Plus some slight volume drops in parts II and III. It seems to me these occur at precisely the time dialogue would appear.

Most likely sourced from the film stems. However, correcting those dips in volume should be easy to correct.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    workaluk wrote

Excellent score, sadly no extended or complete version yet, the Varese cd gives us a preview but doesn't let us hear the magnificent pieces of action music that Howard composed for this, still it's a great score by Howard.

I hope for an extended release of this score.
  8. Erik Woods wrote
    [
    DreamTheater wrote

Most likely sourced from the film stems. However, correcting those dips in volume should be easy to correct.

-Erik-

Maybe a dumb question here: Are film stems what gets used in the film for the final mix? So Lalaland didn't have access to the real recording sessions?
  9. Cristian wrote
    workaluk wrote

I hope for an extended release of this score.

There's an expanded (though not complete) boot, for those who want something to tide them over.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote
    Avatar is much better than this tongue

Of course it is!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Avatar is much better than this tongue

Of course it is!

I agree!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    [
    DreamTheater wrote

-Erik-

Maybe a dumb question here: Are film stems what gets used in the film for the final mix? So Lalaland didn't have access to the real recording sessions?

Exactly or else there wouldn't be that terrible false ending at the end of "The Ulitimate War: Sword Fight" and the terrible fade in to beginning of "Farewell Neverland" There's about 20 second or so of music - a brilliant, heroic fanfare with lots of boom tzzzzz's wink - that was edited out in the picture that bridges "Sword Figh"t to the beginning of "Farewell Neverland. "

-Erik-
  10. John Williams - Saving Private Ryan

A very relaxed, honourable, subtly patriotic score (somehow it has written Copland's Lincoln Portrait written all over it, but since I really love the original piece, I don't really mind). Hymn to the Fallen is a masterpiece and in my humble opinion, John Williams' very best theme of the 1990s. Yes, I know Hook, I love Schindler's List to bits (in fact it's ex aequo my all-time favourite score with The Thin Red Line, so that says a lot about how much that score means to me, even if I listen to it very rarely).

I always loved the hymn, but it took me a huge lot of time to warm up to the rest of the score proper. In the end, with huge influence of the fact that it was very, very cheap in an internet shop, since today I am a proud owner of this score.

I love restraint. Up until recently though I wasn't a huge fan of Americana, but I very much appreciate what John Williams has done with this score, even if I do agree with some posters that the movie would have done with no score except the hymn itself. But the music is beautiful, so I can't complain.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Pacific Heights - Hans Zimmer

One of his finest scores!

-Erik-
  11. And completely forgotten. What's hardly spoken of is that he used Elfman's orchestrators on this one (both Bartek and Walker!).
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2012
    NP: The Last Samurai - Hans Zimmer

Really enjoy the Asian extension of the TTRL sound. Not one of my favorite, maybe, but still up there.
  12. A bit of extremes this evening:

Murderers Among Us: The Simon Wiesenthal Story - Bill Conti

My first listen to this one and it is a beautiful score - and may become my favourite Conti. The choral work in particular is memorable to me after first listening. Because of the subject matter there's a lot of depressing (for want of a better word) music but this is offset by some uplifting music also.

Chronicles - Audiomachine

This is 100% trailer music territory. Pounding percussion rhythms, synthy strings and huge choral backing are present in most tracks, making it all a noisy but very enjoyable listen. It features Jeff Marsh's "Hell's Battalion", the music featured in the trailer for The Raven.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn