• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2012
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Pacific Heights - Hans Zimmer

One of his finest scores!

-Erik-

I quite like that one, good film too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Animals United - David Newman

I don't mind this on first listen (despite the 67 mins over 50 cues!). Lively and tuneful, if a little on the generic side; certainly not in the same class as his brilliant Ice Age score from a few years back.
    • CommentAuthorworkaluk
    justin boggan wrote
    Cristian wrote
    workaluk wrote
    NP - OUTBREAK - James Newton Howard

Excellent score, sadly no extended or complete version yet, the Varese cd gives us a preview but doesn't let us hear the magnificent pieces of action music that Howard composed for this, still it's a great score by Howard.

Favourite Track - Finding The Ship punk punk

I hope for an extended release of this score.

There's an expanded (though not complete) boot, for those who want something to tide them over.

Yeah, i tried and tried to get my hands on it, but sadly couldn't biggrin

NP - Excalibur - Trevor Jones

A weird experience this one, although some tracks are a preview to what he would do immensly better in Dark Crystal, there are still a few hidden pearls on this one, specially track 2 Igrayne's Dance and track 9, Camelot, which have underneath the some distinct Jones sound he would latter use on Last Of The Mohicans, but the rest are a bit boring at times, Dark Crystal offers a much better listening experience.

Favourite Track: Camelot
  1. Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Avatar is much better than this tongue

Of course it is!

Wait? I said that? shocked

Either that (unlikely) or the forum has been hacked (likely).
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2012 edited
    ALIEN - JERRY GOLDSMITH

Nobody writes horror music like this any more. How is it that after more than 30 years one man came up with such a profound musical identity for a film about a ship in space, its crew of 7 people and a man in a suit, and still gives me the willies today. Only a genius can do that in my book. I remember when I was younger my appreciation for Alien wasn't nearly as high as it is today.

The Intrada presentation is bone-chillingly fantastic !!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

One question I have to ask Hans when I get to it is how did he end up working for John Schlesinger so early in his career. I mean look at *names* the man worked with.

Tim, is Barry his most often used composer? (off the top of my head I can mention only Midnight Cowboy and The Day of the Locust)
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: TITANIC - JAMES HORNER

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

One question I have to ask Hans when I get to it is how did he end up working for John Schlesinger so early in his career. I mean look at *names* the man worked with.

Tim, is Barry his most often used composer? (off the top of my head I can mention only Midnight Cowboy and The Day of the Locust)

No, only the two films you mentioned. I think the only composer who beats him is Richard Rodney Bennett with three films, Billy Liar, Far From The Madding Crowd ( a beautiful score ) and Yanks.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    DreamTheater wrote
    ALIEN - JERRY GOLDSMITH

Nobody writes horror music like this any more. How is it that after more than 30 years one man came up with such a profound musical identity for a film about a ship in space, its crew of 7 people and a man in a suit, and still gives me the willies today. Only a genius can do that in my book. I remember when I was younger my appreciation for Alien wasn't nearly as high as it is today.

I was just playing Alien yesterday and thinking just how technically brilliant it is.
    So much feeling, scary, mysterious and yet at times beautiful. Also so intricate in orchestration, performance and the pains taken to record sections of it.
    One of the truly great scores!
    Prometheus of course, will be scored very differently I'm sure.
  3. Scribe wrote
    At this rate I am soon going to have more Brian Tyler scores in my collection than John Williams scores.
    That is slightly disturbing.

Yes, personally when it comes to physical CDs, I own 15 John Williams CDs and not a single Brian Tyler one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Yes, personally when it comes to physical CDs, I own 15 John Williams CDs and not a single Brian Tyler one.

applause punk beer

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. But only since recently I have my first original Thomas Newman score, but as I keep saying with each new score coming to my CD collection:

Yeah, it starts making sense. Slowly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Searching for Bobby Fisher - James Horner

This is really lovely. Low-key, relaxing. Very nice themes.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Scribe wrote
    At this rate I am soon going to have more Brian Tyler scores in my collection than John Williams scores.

I have one more Brian Tyler CD than you and that's one too many.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Searching for Bobby Fisher - James Horner

This is really lovely. Low-key, relaxing. Very nice themes.

One of James Horner's greatest achievements! Film score perfection!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Scribe wrote

I have one more Brian Tyler CD than you and that's one too many.

Just out of curiosity. Which one?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    AVP : REQUIEM
  6. My condolences.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thank you! Could you pass me a tissue? cry
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote

Oooooooh fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck! suicide

Timmer... I highly recommend Darkness Falls, The Hunted, Frailty and Terror Tract. Those early Tyler scores are excellent!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I have a burn of Frailty and I like that one.
  7. Timmer wrote

I said earlier that nobody writes in the mould of Alien anymore, instead we have the style of AVP:R, a lot of incoherent noise which quite frankly gave me a headache on the first and only listen. The first three tracks, which are quite good I made a suite of and that's about all I can bear of this score.

Here it is.
  8. Well, Decimation Proclamation is probably my all-time favourite Brian Tyler track, but yes, it's rather incoherent noise. I can't handle the rest of the score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BULLIT - Lalo Schifrin

Jazzy scoring don't come much better than those from Lalo Schifrin cool
  9. workaluk wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    Cristian wrote
    workaluk wrote
    NP - OUTBREAK - James Newton Howard

Excellent score, sadly no extended or complete version yet, the Varese cd gives us a preview but doesn't let us hear the magnificent pieces of action music that Howard composed for this, still it's a great score by Howard.

Favourite Track - Finding The Ship punk punk

I hope for an extended release of this score.

There's an expanded (though not complete) boot, for those who want something to tide them over.

Yeah, i tried and tried to get my hands on it, but sadly couldn't biggrin

If you were serious, you can now try PMing me. ;-)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  10. Atham wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    ALIEN - JERRY GOLDSMITH

I was just playing Alien yesterday and thinking just how technically brilliant it is.
    So much feeling, scary, mysterious and yet at times beautiful. Also so intricate in orchestration, performance and the pains taken to record sections of it.
    One of the truly great scores!
    Prometheus of course, will be scored very differently I'm sure.

I still wonder how certain parts on Alien have been performed. It's really quite stunning I just didn't grasp when I was younger what Jerry wanted to convey musically. Now I get it, and it's music like this that will hold out in the long run.

Prometheus, the score, I don't have an expectations for it, it will probably be disappointing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Beyond Borders - James Horner

I hesitate to call a Horner score unique - someone will usually find something else - so I won't - but this one is certainly a departure. The blend of dirty electronics with the beautiful orchestral and choral melodies is quite brilliant. Having earlier left this out of my all-important "Horner top 3 since 2000" list at FSM, I now regret that decision.
  11. Went threw the complete score to "Mulan" for the first time for a fair shot, since I got it maybe about ten years ago. Probably eight.

Going to make suites as I can.

I have eleven cues marked as "ALL", meaning the whole cue was good from beginning to end (not counting the "Overture" which is a masterpiece and no need to mark). Eight cues striked out -- nothing worth taking from them. When I have time for suites again, this and another score are already picked ("Serenity").
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2012
    Southall wrote
    Beyond Borders - James Horner

I hesitate to call a Horner score unique - someone will usually find something else - so I won't - but this one is certainly a departure. The blend of dirty electronics with the beautiful orchestral and choral melodies is quite brilliant. Having earlier left this out of my all-important "Horner top 3 since 2000" list at FSM, I now regret that decision.

A very enjoyable score IMO.
    • CommentAuthorworkaluk
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2012 edited
    NP - Up For Your Consideration Promo - Michael Giacchino

Now, i'm a big, big fan of Giacchino's work and after everyone and their mothers praised this one, i gave it another go, since i heard it in the movie and didn't like it very much, however, my initial thought stands, i find this score boring as hell.

Now the main theme is somewhat nice, something remniscent of the 20's and 30's, not my cup of tea, then there are a few Giacchino tracks which are the highlight of this, similar to his works on Lost, but the ret of the album, about 70% of it, i found it boring as hell, this ranks as the worst Giacchino i have heard so far, how did this earned the Oscar, is a mistery to me, anyways maybe i'm wrong and they're right lololol

Favourite Cue: Geriatric Dogfight punk Now this is what i'm talking about, furious Giacchino...