• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. The Peacemaker is awesome too but Broken Arrow is my preferred Zimmer because I love the melodies so much. Plus Duane Eddy on guitar.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. Southall wrote
    Legends of the Fall - James Horner

This is very good.

Horner will never be as sweeping and romantic as he was here. Not a second music here that doesn't make me feel something.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. With all the negative comments on the music of Tyler Bates, I still quite like some of his tracks from his scores. "Don't Get Too Misty Eyed" from Watchmen is a case in point.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. DreamTheater wrote
    Southall wrote

This is very good.

Horner will never be as sweeping and romantic as he was here. Not a second music here that doesn't make me feel something.

It's a special score that one. Not a special film, alas, but that's so often the case.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2012
    DreamTheater wrote
    David OC wrote
    Hook - John Williams

Been listening to the original CD for the first time in years and not overly enthused by it. A better than average score, no doubt, but the main theme is - dare I say - a little generic by Williams' standards.

crazy

There are about 10 main themes in Hook, all used to great effect in combination with each other and they are a bit better than average. Would you say that Star Wars is also better than average?

Everyone is entitled to his / her opinion but yours is just wrong. wink

I'm truly sorry for disagreeing with you on this one. Don't know what came over me. wink

I do admit to not giving it the time it deserves however.

Rampage - Elmer Bernstein

Typically strong effort from this ever-reliable great. Lots of exoticism and melody, including one theme that fondly recalls his own masterful To Kill a Mockingbird.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Pet Semetary - Eliot Goldenthal

A very decent - and mildly creepy - effort considering how early in Goldenthal's career this was. Certainly shows some real audacity in 'borrowing' from Lalo Schifrin's 'The Amityville Horror'.
  5. franz_conrad wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Southall wrote

This is very good.

It's a special score that one. Not a special film, alas, but that's so often the case.

I don't know, the film has always touched my heart in a way... The superb acting, the lush scenery, the grand music, they all make this film a bit special to me.
  6. INCHON - JERRY GOLDSMITH

The recording here sounds a bit thin, but the music is great and should this ever get a re-release, I'm sure it would be stunning.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2012 edited
    Sudden Death - John Debney

Definitely one of his better action scores, even if it seems to lean heavily on the sound of JNH's The Fugitive.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    THE NEW WORLD | james horner

After having metallic percussion banging around my head in Titanic, I skipped to this peaceful score. Not a harsh note, until Winter Battle, but even then it's almost gracious. Beautiful score. At least Malick movies produce great listening experiences.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    David OC wrote

A very decent - and mildly creepy - effort considering how early in Goldenthal's career this was. Certainly shows some real audacity in 'borrowing' from Lalo Schifrin's 'The Amityville Horror'.

MILDLY creepy?

It's the creepiest score ever composed, IMO. In fact, so creepy that I hardly ever play it.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Thor wrote
    David OC wrote

MILDLY creepy?

It's the creepiest score ever composed, IMO. In fact, so creepy that I hardly ever play it.

Really? Yeah, it is more than a little creepy, you're right. Especially if played late at night in the dark and on headphones!

Just started Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol by Michael Giacchino.
    Really enjoyed it in the film and hoping it sounds just as good on the CD.
  7. I remember my only listen of Pet Semetera. Since then I've never wanted to hear it again.

And David is the master of understatement. biggrin
  8. Bregt wrote
    THE NEW WORLD | james horner

After having metallic percussion banging around my head in Titanic, I skipped to this peaceful score. Not a harsh note, until Winter Battle, but even then it's almost gracious. Beautiful score. At least Malick movies produce great listening experiences.

At 80 minutes it's too peaceful for my liking, so I trimmed it down to 48 minutes. Titanic has a much more varied sound, and will always spin more frequently than TNW. Besides I'm a sucker for the Titanic themes and action music.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    DreamTheater wrote
    I remember my only listen of Pet Semetera. Since then I've never wanted to hear it again.

Haha! Was it that bad or that scary?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: MUSIC FOR ALFRED HITCHCOCK FILMS (various)

The ol' Varese compilation that was once the only source for a piece from Williams' FAMILY PLOT. But even if that has had its own release since then, it's still a keeper as it contains great suites from STRANGERS ON A TRAIN, SUSPICION and NOTORIOUS -- Hitchcock scores that aren't readily available elsewhere.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. David OC wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    I remember my only listen of Pet Semetera. Since then I've never wanted to hear it again.

Haha! Was it that bad or that scary?

I would say bad, I remember it being as far removed from the concept of music as it can possibly be. And I'm quite fond of Goldenthal.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Die Hard - Michael Kamen

It's amazing now this action score can be so minimal at time. The movie really is a suspense film with burst of kinetic activities, and the score deeply reflects this in its sparse and careful arrangements. One of my favorite score of Michael Kamen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    DreamTheater wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Southall wrote

This is very good.

I don't know, the film has always touched my heart in a way... The superb acting, the lush scenery, the grand music, they all make this film a bit special to me.

I re-watched the movie yesterday and it is one of my favorite movies ever. I agree about the acting, the lush scenery, the story, the music, I love everything in this movie. The tragic story and James Horner's music touch my heart in a way that not many movies did. The score is in my opinion the best score James Horner wrote. I don't think he will write another masterpiece like this one but that is OK, I'm happy for Legends of the Fall.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE LAST SAMURAI (Hans Zimmer)

A sort of hybrid turning-point score that combines his 90's power anthems with his more 'meaty', percussion/ambient-based current style. And the exotic features, which is what Zimmer does best. I like it more and more. "The Way of the Sword" is gorgeous.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE ROCK (Hans Zimmer et.al.)

Bliss! One of my alltime favourite soundtracks, this.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Thor wrote
    NP: THE LAST SAMURAI (Hans Zimmer)

A sort of hybrid turning-point score that combines his 90's power anthems with his more 'meaty', percussion/ambient-based current style. And the exotic features, which is what Zimmer does best. I like it more and more. "The Way of the Sword" is gorgeous.

+1
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Thor wrote
    NP: THE ROCK (Hans Zimmer et.al.)

Bliss! One of my alltime favourite soundtracks, this.

+ 1 BILLION
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : CHOUANS - Georges Delerue

love
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    David OC wrote

MILDLY creepy?

It is very creepy ( though out-creeped by Hellraiser II and Exorcist II IMO ), what a shame it was for such an appalling film version of possibly King's scariest novel.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  10. JERRY GOLDSMITH: FAVOURITE CUES

Seeing this playlist is about 5 hours long I decided to listen in three parts. So I took all of my Jerry scores in movie release order (63 of them), not including compilations and took only one cue I think represents the best the score (in general my most-loved cue of each score). For the most part I'm not talking about main titles / main themes here. Just those wonderfully creative outbursts of melodic genius that makes the man still as loved today by me as before. While listening all of these amazing scores / cues in succession it's not hard to be in complete awe of Mr. Goldsmith. He is deeply missed. He was and still is the master of fun.

I'm doing this also for my two other favourite composers, Horner and Williams.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Want to name some cues? Not all of them Gilles, just a few will do.
  11. Timmer wrote
    Want to name some cues? Not all of them Gilles, just a few will do.

nah, he's at work, he's got time. NAME THEM ALL!
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    biggrin applause
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE MISSING - James Horner

It's not brilliant but I'm still glad I bought it, very enjoyable.