• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2012
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE MISSING - James Horner

It's not brilliant but I'm still glad I bought it, very enjoyable.

I listened to this last night. It's not often I find myself enjoying a Horner score less than the majority seem to, but this is one. There's some great stuff there, still - but I'd rather at least half an hour had been trimmed from the album.
  1. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Want to name some cues? Not all of them Gilles, just a few will do.

nah, he's at work, he's got time. NAME THEM ALL!

punk

Indeed I am listening on the job... And what I do is pretty straightforward, I can just focus completely on the music and my work gets done on auto-pilot. Works like a charm because there are never any complaints! cheesy

Here are only a couple of cues:

The Blue Max - The Bridge
    The Wind and the Lion - The Lord of the Riff
    Star Trek The Motion Picture - The Enterprise
    Night Crossing - First Flight
    The Secret of NIMH - The House Raising
    Supergirl - Arrival on Earth / Flying Ballet
    Explorers - The Construction
    Poltergeist II - Late Call
    Lionheart - The Banner
    Star Trek V - A Busy Man

and so on...
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Clear and Present Danger - James Horner

Superior action score. Superior to what, you may ask. Well, I'm not going to tell you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    An excellent score, James! I love the variations on the main theme during the end credits. Too bad big action cue at the end of the film isn't on the disc.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

I listened to this last night. It's not often I find myself enjoying a Horner score less than the majority seem to, but this is one. There's some great stuff there, still - but I'd rather at least half an hour had been trimmed from the album.

One of the few Horners I never been able to get into, too long an album, too similar to past works, just not my cup of tea. The only ones I've ever bought and resold afterwards are A Far Off Place and this one.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2012 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    An excellent score, James! I love the variations on the main theme during the end credits. Too bad big action cue at the end of the film isn't on the disc.

-Erik-

I don't remember that cue (it's been a few years since I saw the film). I really like the album. I guess it suffers in the minds of some (as do a few of his other scores) in that it is a bit like a compilation of "Horner hits" but still, I greatly enjoy it. Hard to imagine him doing anything like it today.
  3. I'll take THE MISSING over AVATAR, BEYOND BORDERS, TROY, even BLACK GOLD. But yes, it is too long an album. (Are we pretending they aren't?) wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2012
  4. I seem to remember back in 2005 or something I spent hours whittling TROY, BEYOND BORDERS and THE MISSING down to suites of between 15-30 minutes in length because I rarely sat through a whole album. But THE MISSING ended up with the longest one. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  5. I actually always had a soft spot for CHUMSCRUBBER. Now that was a case where Horner clearly just went for something completely different. (DONNIE DARKO via Horner?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I remember liking it but don't remember anything about it - must give that one another spin.
  6. NP: John Carter of Mars (Michael Giacchino)

Pretty enjoyable. Just overall too aggressive for me to spend much time with it, but that's kind of the idea of an action adventure score.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    franz_conrad wrote
    I actually always had a soft spot for CHUMSCRUBBER. Now that was a case where Horner clearly just went for something completely different. (DONNIE DARKO via Horner?)

After hearing it for the first time in ages a month or so back I'm convinced The Chumscrubber is one of those scores that's much better in recollection rather than when you're actually listening to it!
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Children of the Corn 2 - Daniel Licht

Great to hear this for the first time in years but I totally forget how blatantly Licht 'homages' The Omen in the demonic chanting action cues like 'Transformation', 'Nosebleed' and 'Ring Sacrifice'. The vaguely Native American lilt to the main theme is very nice.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    W.E. - Abel Korzeniowski

I couldn't have been more impressed by Copernicus' Star and this elegant score is just as good, though very different. Certainly has a Ludivico Einaudi sound in some of the piano writing and a nice Michael Nyman feel in 'Brooklyn Faces', but this is bliss nonetheless.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

One of the few Horners I never been able to get into, too long an album, too similar to past works, just not my cup of tea. The only ones I've ever bought and resold afterwards are A Far Off Place and this one.

You got rid of A FAR OFF PLACE? spin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Clear and Present Danger - James Horner

Superior action score. Superior to what, you may ask. Well, I'm not going to tell you.

A Patch of Blue or Somewhere In Time is my guess.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2012 edited
    NP: Die Eylandt Recherche - Eric Babak

Holy shit!

Do you know when you come across something you have never heard before and you wonder why it's never been mentioned before? Well Babak's score for this German film from 2008 is one of those times.

This is just the sort of thing I love: powerhouse choral passages, and strong strings. Take a look at these two YouTube clips and let me know what you think:

Track 1: Secretum meum

Track 2: Dorma Exoinos
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. FalkirkBairn wrote

Holy shit!

Do you know when you come across something you have never heard before and you wonder why it's never been mentioned before? Well Babak's score for this German film from 2008 is one of those times.

This is just the sort of thing I love: powerhouse choral passages, and strong strings. Take a look at these two YouTube clips and let me know what you think:

But beware - there are some horrendous remixes on the end to pad out the playing time.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: iTunes on shuffle (various)

Always a fun thing to do once in a while -- going from Brahms to ROCKY IV to new wave to ELO to whatnot.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. FalkirkBairn wrote

Holy shit!

really nice indeed, nothing we haven't heard before but powerful and memorable.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Unfaithful - Jan A.P. Kaczmarek

Superb score!
  9. No, it is nothing that we have not heard before. But that doesn't detract from it being a great listen.

The album is a bit repetitive, but I don't mind that either.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Cristian wrote

Superb score!

You should listen to Hachiko. It's a really good score with a very pleasant sound, more wintery and bright, and less autumnal.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    lp wrote
    Cristian wrote

Superb score!

You should listen to Hachiko. It's a really good score with a very pleasant sound, more wintery and bright, and less autumnal.

Considering our different climates I was wondering what your idea of 'wintery' is?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I literally just pressed play on Danny Elfman's DARK SHADOWS.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

Try tracks 1 - 3 - 5 - 7 - 11 - 12 - 13 - 14 - 15. Makes for a very decent 45 minute 'playlist'. (I think I trimmed 'Kayitah's Death' to 2:44 minutes, so I obviously felt something else had to be cut as well. It does make for a better listen than the full album though in my not so humble opinion.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    I literally just pressed play on Danny Elfman's DARK SHADOWS.

-Erik-

What did you think?
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Timmer wrote
    lp wrote
    Cristian wrote

Superb score!

Considering our different climates I was wondering what your idea of 'wintery' is?

The movie's scenery is mostly comprised of bright blue sky on sunny days, lots of time with white snow on the ground. And arrangement of tinkling piano and strings fits it really well.