• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Michael Giacchino - John Carter

My CD finally came and it's a very well-rounded adventure score, firmly in Michael Giacchino's style, while having references to the epic classics. Good stuff.

I certainly hope my copy of Jerry Goldsmith's Rambo 2 from the same retailer (US Amazon) wasn't lost sad
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2012
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Exorcist II - Ennio Morricone

Superb stuff.

Reagen's theme is beautiful. I always found the scary stuff on this much scarier than Goldsmith's The Omen, in fact I never found any of Goldsmith's Omen scores scary.

Me neither. Now, ALIEN, on the other hand....

Like the Omen scores I don't find it scary either, facinating, complex and dramatic yes but scary? No! I absolutely adore all four scores though.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. NP: Journey (austin wintory)

I appreciate it when a score comes fairly cheaply on iTunes and actually beats a lot of the full price scores I get there. punk
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. Listened to, yet again, the original suite to the "Enterprise" episode "Horizon" that Mark McKenzie originally had on his site before the studio forced him to take it down because of the unreleased music. Ironically, when they permitted him to put the music up and he did seperate little cues, these sperate ones contained a little more score not in the suite.

I've really come to love this. The sound quality is bad, but that's how he had it on his site.

Absolutely terific orchestral work with an easily identifiable and memorable theme.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    The Right Stuff - Bill Conti

How easily we forget. Such a brilliant score. The stirring main theme is an all time favourite, and the action theme is damn catchy in its own right.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

Superb stuff.

Reagen's theme is beautiful. I always found the scary stuff on this much scarier than Goldsmith's The Omen, in fact I never found any of Goldsmith's Omen scores scary.

Like the Omen scores I don't find it scary either, facinating, complex and dramatic yes but scary? No! I absolutely adore all four scores though.

I think it's pleny scary on its own, but when it meshes organically with the visuals the way it does, it just reaches another level altogether in terms of scariness. One of the most visceral and effective horror scores of all time, IMO.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Island at the Top of the World - Maurice Jarre

Solidly enjoyable adventure score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

Superb stuff.

I think it's pleny scary on its own, but when it meshes organically with the visuals the way it does, it just reaches another level altogether in terms of scariness. One of the most visceral and effective horror scores of all time, IMO.

That I agree with. I think I might have seen ALIEN more than any other film? It's one of my all time favourites.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Timmer wrote

I think I might have seen ALIEN more than any other film? It's one of my all time favourites.

I've lost count of how many times I've seen Alien. It's superb!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : A WHALE FOR THE KILLING - Basil Poledouris

A very short score and very enjoyable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    David OC wrote

How easily we forget. Such a brilliant score. The stirring main theme is an all time favourite, and the action theme is damn catchy in its own right.

A brilliant adaptation for sure. Not one lick of originality in the score though.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. A very eclectic film music day for me:

First John Carter to give it a first full listen after getting the original CD yesterday, then Mark Mancina's Speed 2 for the pure fun of it and just finished:

John Williams - E.T.

cool

The anniversary edition.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2012
    The Hunger Games - James Newton Howard

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Lady in the Water - James Newton Howard

Stunning music with great themes.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Wonderful Country - Alex North

Brilliant Mexican-flavoured western score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Blood and Bones - Taro Iwashiro

This is a must if you like sad, sober solo violin and strings. One of my favorite scores!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : MOBY DICK - Philip Sainton

Superb and a deserved classic.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    The Great Escape- Elmer Bernstein

Merlin- Robert Lane

Hook (La-La Release) - John Williams
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    justin boggan wrote
    "The Ghost and the Darkness" (complete score)

Goldsmith (duh). Only a few tracks in. So far, no SFX.

APRIL FOOL'S, by the way.

sad angry
  5. You just had tp bring up a joke nobody saw but you. tongue

Relax, that score is under Hollywood Records, now owned by Disney. It's only a matter of time before Intrada gets to it.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  6. THE MUMMY - JERRY G.

I'll just occupy myself with this awesome piece of work instead of the crap that Hollywood keeps churning out for action adventure films these days. Just what I need at this moment. punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2012
    DreamTheater wrote
    THE MUMMY - JERRY G.

I'll just occupy myself with this awesome piece of work instead of the crap that Hollywood keeps churning out for action adventure films these days. Just what I need at this moment. punk

My favourite score that year, and also one of my alltime favourite JGs.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Ramin Djawadi - Medal of Honor

I like it quite a lot, probably the best score he's written in his career.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Battleship - Steve Jablonsky

Not bad. Similar to his TF scores (mostly Dark of the Moon), but with more grunge and slightly less bass. But I'm just a few tracks in still. "Art of War" is quite nice, with a good rendition of the Main Theme. "You're Going to the Navy" sounds good. It's promising so far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2012 edited
    NP: Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Best of Both Worlds - Ron Jones

One of the finest TV scores I've ever heard to arguably the best Next Generation episode of all time. Lots of action, drama, heart and creativity. And Jones' finale cue to the cliffhanger of this two part episode is legendary - which was spoofed by Jones himself on Family Guy) Too bad that this sort of scoring - lots of color, variety and themes - was put on the back burner during the latter seasons for a more wallpaper approach. Ron Jones would have been an excellent choice as the score composer for The Next Generation film series.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2012 edited
    lp wrote
    Similar to his TF scores (mostly Dark of the Moon),

But I don't want it to be similar to Dot-f'ing-M, I want it to be similar to the original Transformers which was much better.

WP: Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - Desplat
    If you can listen to this and still say Desplat's music is cold and lacks emotion, then you are clearly missing some sort of neurological anatomy.

I jest. But still :P
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Scribe wrote
    lp wrote
    Similar to his TF scores (mostly Dark of the Moon),

But I don't want it to be similar to Dot-f'ing-M, I want it to be similar to the original Transformers which was much better.

Yes, thematic and melodically speaking, Battleship is not anywhere near the original TF score. I would actually say that, beside the main theme featured prominently in "Art of War" and elsewhere in the album, Battleship is actually less thematically driven than Dark of the Moon, filling the running time with more pulsing percussive rhythms, than thematic development. Steve Jablonsky seems to shine in longer form cues, like the aforementioned "The Art of War", and "The Beacon Project" and maybe "Somebody's Gonna Kiss the Donkey" . That's it for really notable tracks. Special mention has to go out to "We Have a Battleship", which starts out with a take on the Crimson Tide trumpet solo(!), before reiterating the main theme and then degrade to not so good nothingness.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Dances With Wolves - John Barry

Oh my. As good as it gets.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    David OC wrote

A brilliant adaptation for sure. Not one lick of originality in the score though.

-Erik-

Some nice contributions from Holst, Debussy and Mancini too but no Oscar nod for them? confused
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2012
    True enough! Conti wasn't averse to a bit of theft. But I have to say I still love the score as it stands.
    In retrospect there aren't too many Best Oscar winners of the last 20 years that still feel like the correct winners.

Little Women - Thomas Newman

Here's a truly magnificent score that surely would have been a worthy winner. Majestic, rich, glorious - and lifts the film (which I saw for the first time the other day) to another level. I think my two favourite Newman scores of all time were both written for Gillian Armstrong strangely enough.