• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2012
    DreamTheater wrote
    Steven wrote

Still, it's not offensively bad like Jablonsky's sound effects for Battleship. (I'm hesitant to call it music.)

Someone over at Filmtracks said: this isn't film scoring anymore, it's sound design.

I've heard about 10 minutes of Battleshit and that's about all I could cope. It was 9 minutes too much even...

There's about 10-15minutes of good stuff (relatively speaking) in the album. Whenever the thematic materials show up, it's good, otherwise, I don't care for the rest. However, I'd rather listen to this than any of Jablonsky's horror scores.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Yeah... why not? It's the exact same question you asked of Thor and he broke is love of Edward Scissorhands for you.

-Erik-

Edward Scissorhands is a score Thor knows very well and I would have answered him too had he queried me on a score I know and have loved for a long time.

If you wanted me to explain why The Avengers theme is better technically than Captain America then that is something I do not have the know how to do, I can only speak fom the fact that I enjoy it more.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2012 edited
    rolleyes So much for a friendly discussion on the matter.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ...I'm not being un-friendly.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    But you don't want to have a discussion.

Oh well.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Judge Dredd - Alan Silvestri

Much, much better!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Don't worry Erik, I just realised what happened, a failure to communicate somewhere between replies, I didn't see two of your replies further up while still replying to you....it's Gilles fault! dizzy wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote

Much, much better!

-Erik-

Of this I agree! Far better than both Avengers and Cap.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Here's THE THEME Gilles. Why it has to be called Avengers Assemble for the UK is stoopid.

Because they don't want people confusing it with a remake of the 60's TV series.

-Erik-

I know that and that's why it's stoopid!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Much, much better!

-Erik-

Of this I agree! Far better than both Avengers and Cap.

The first track alone OBLITERATES everything in Cap. America and The Avengers combined!

Timmer wrote
    Don't worry Erik, I just realised what happened, a failure to communicate somewhere between replies, I didn't see two of your replies further up while still replying to you....it's Gilles fault! dizzy wink

lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Timmer wrote

WTF did I do??? confused

That's it I'm leaving !!! crazy crazy crazy

And don't expect to see me here in a hurry. explode

kill

kill

kill

kill

kill

kill

kill

kill

kill

kill

just kidding haha tongue
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  1. Erik Woods wrote

Much, much better!

-Erik-

Oh hell yes! Silvestri in SUPER form.

Again, 1995, what a brilliant year for scores, in fact I may just take all 1995 scores that I have to a deserted island and just keep spinning those to my heart's content without becoming bored. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2012
    The Black Cauldron - Elmer Bernstein

Hmm. Odd.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Southall wrote

Hmm. Odd.

It is odd for sure! But I've always had a soft spot for it.
    I love that little "western" style theme (just what you'd expect in a medieval fantasy score ...not).
  2. Southall wrote

Hmm. Odd.

Does it offer more in the score? I listened to tow or three cues on Youtube (of the original score, not the re-recording), and felt nothing for it, especially considering the praise I've seen over the years.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote

WTF did I do??? confused

That's it I'm leaving !!! crazy crazy crazy

And don't expect to see me here in a hurry. explode

kill

kill

kill

kill

kill

kill

kill

kill

kill

kill

just kidding haha tongue

"that's it I'm leaving!!!" punk

"and don't expect to see me in a hurry" Bye then! wave

"just kidding haha" NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! cry
  3. lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote

Hmm. Odd.

In what way?
    I was thinking of picking this up eventually. Will you be doing a review?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Robin Hood - Marc Streitenfeld

I'm amazed it's so organic/orchestral sounding. You can hear woodwinds doubling up the strings, and actual analog percussion bits punctuating the cues. The main thematic materials isn't just a simple two-three notes and does get developed quite a bit in various arrangements. The more dynamic cues does work for the most part, with a very consistent feel overall. However, most of it feel so boring and static, if not cold. I don't know how to put it in any other way but assert my boredom while listening to this complete score. Granted, the movie wasn't as great as it could have been, but the music certainly didn't seem to insert any unique identity into the movie. Heck , even the "source/period" cues have more life than the score. Anyway, it's not a bad score, just not a unique, worthwhile score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    Southall wrote

Hmm. Odd.

In what way?

I will. It's just... well, odd. Ondes all over the place. Very short tracks. Slightly naff synths. I usually prefer Bernstein when he does "smaller" scores - there are exceptions, but this isn't one.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Southall wrote

Hmm. Odd.

In what way?

I will. It's just... well, odd. Ondes all over the place. Very short tracks. Slightly naff synths. I usually prefer Bernstein when he does "smaller" scores - there are exceptions, but this isn't one.

I like Bernstein going BIG. Not having this CD I don't know how it compares to the old Varese LP release. I was always a bit disappointed with with Black Cauldron after the monumental Heavy Metal.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I love Heavy Metal. I'd put Black Cauldron more alongside something like Spacehunter (I know that has its fans).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Battleship - Steve Jablonsky

Mere words are hardly sufficient to describe the scale of the banality.
  4. Hans Zimmer - Inception

This grew to be one of my personally favourite Hans Zimmer scores. Preparing myself for a very big day tomorrow. It's an exciting day and very difficult one, though I try to expect nothing.

The way Hans combines atmospheric writing with some minimalistic subtleties adding more-than-hints of John Barry (Dream within a Dream would answer the question how he would score a Bond movie) and his own The Thin Red Line, which was actually a Christopher Nolan suggestion to him gives a rather unique soundscape, but still thematic (even if not melodic) score at heart.

I should get back to my more analytical writing and write an article about this one, because there is just so much going on musically and the whole composition process was plain fascinating (Hans told me he was completely free to do what he wanted to do, but ordered to write his music just to the script without him being allowed to watch a scene from the film that was just edited; basically he'll remember the score not for the quality of his writing - he doesn't even see it as his best music or the best film he ever worked on - but for how great the collaboration with Nolan was on this one).

Whoever complained about the amount of music/volume of the music in the film shouldn't blame Hans for it. In an interview (not to me personally) he said that the first time he saw the movie with music on, he actually adressed Nolan about the amount of music (he was shocked that the director used even his earliest demos) in the movie and Nolan said "Trust me, it's OK."

The "interpolation" of the Edith Piaf in the music is I think Hans at his most creative. If you carefully listen to the Dream Is Collapsing theme, it's actually Non, je ne regrette rien filtered though John Barry's James Bond sound. That's what I'd say.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2012
    yonythemoony wrote
    Cristian wrote
    The Hunger Games - James Newton Howard

I adore this score!

Me and yonythemoony, I think we are the only ones from this forum who like this score.

Nice to know that there's still open minded people on this forum smile

Yeah... open minded like you who likes to fling insults at people who don't agree with you.

This is a message I just received from our good friend yonythemoony on Twitter! While I don't want to air my dirty laundry out in these parts I thought you all would like to know what the real Yonathan Vargas ‏aka yony_themoony is really like.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Such intrigue! And here at MT. I thought that was the domain of FSM.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    A post not worth posting in response to a tweet not worth twittering.

Life is far too short and precious for this, guys.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I thought this was the friendliest community as well, Thor.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    If yony looks like the picture on his/her twitter profile, he/she can be as mean as he/she wants. I'd tap that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik Woods wrote
    This is a message I just received from our good friend yonythemoony on Twitter! While I don't want to air my dirty laundry out in these parts I thought you all would like to know what the real Yonathan Vargas ‏aka yony_themoony is really like.
    -Erik-

Other than the sexual reference, it sounds exactly like things you have said here.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!