• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2012
    The Chumscrubber - James Horner

This is good - and completely different from anything else he's done. In fact, it is so free of any Hornerisms whatsoever, it's easy to wonder whether he really wrote it!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2012
    Dark Shadows - Danny Elfman

Looks like it's not just people in this thread who've been listening to Kilar's Dracula recently.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: Hook - John Williams

It's great having this expanded edition. So many extra gems to be found!
    There are a few things that gripe me about this release as has been previously mentioned by others here.
    But it's the dodgy edits in The Ultimate War that frustrates me the most!
    The premature cymbal crash at 2:23 being one. But it's the shockingly bad looping at 5:26 that really ticks me off! It sounds worse than the edits in The Phantom Menace "Ultimate Edition"! Is it the way it is in the film perhaps? It's pretty poor for such an important release. I'll just have to re-edit it myself.
  1. I wonder what was wrong with the album version of 'The Ultimate War' and why they had to re-edit it? sad

I found out the all important 'food insert' is missing from 'The Never-Feast'. Over at JWfan.com other fans have been complaining about it as well. I don't know from what source it would be clean enough to mix into the track, perhaps from the blu-ray, which I don't have.

I'm looking to make my own complete Hook as well.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. THE FLY II - CHRISTOPHER YOUNG

I always keep returning to this one. Not for the horror stuff but for the wonderful melodies found at the beginning and end of the album. cool
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. SPEED - MARK MANCINA

The expanded. I can enjoy this, but if you didn't like the shorter release, nothing on here will make you change your mind. It's as synthesized as before, now even more. But the cool orchestrated themes and rhythmic action motifs always get my heart pumping.

Thanks bro. wink wave
  4. DreamTheater wrote
    SPEED - MARK MANCINA

The expanded. I can enjoy this, but if you didn't like the shorter release, nothing on here will make you change your mind. It's as synthesized as before, now even more. But the cool orchestrated themes and rhythmic action motifs always get my heart pumping.

Thanks bro. wink wave

glad you liked it, I heard the beginning of the CD with Bregt when he was driving, and I was actually shocked it was that flat, I didn't remeber that at all. The original release will suffice for me though
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    I wonder what was wrong with the album version of 'The Ultimate War' and why they had to re-edit it? sad

Why they used film stems with loops and film edits for the first 7 minutes of The Ultimate War, when they have a clean version of it on the OST, is beyond me. It's one of the most bizarre choices the producers made on this album.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. Hook Williams

hmmm, almost through the La La Land release and as good as all the music is I think the original release was fine as is. In fact, my preferred way to listen to this is the 20+ minute suite on the 'Williams on Williams: The Classic Spielberg Scores', the extended version of 'The face of Pan' is astounding.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Henri 4 - Henry Jackman

I must admit that I didn't like this score as much as I do now, frankly because I didn't expect it to be so modern in approach. But after watching the long but ultimately good movie, and seeing how effective it is, I've grown to like this score much more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2012 edited
    John Chambers wrote
    Hook Williams

hmmm, almost through the La La Land release and as good as all the music is I think the original release was fine as is. In fact, my preferred way to listen to this is the 20+ minute suite on the 'Williams on Williams: The Classic Spielberg Scores', the extended version of 'The face of Pan' is astounding.

For the end of 'The Face of Pan' I do like the added layer of choir on the new LLL release. It's a subtle change but makes it a better cue IMO.

Oh and give me the complete any day of the week. But not the way LLL sequenced it. I'm waiting for the fans to do it, as close to the film as possible. smile
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    I wonder what was wrong with the album version of 'The Ultimate War' and why they had to re-edit it? sad

Why they used film stems with loops and film edits for the first 7 minutes of The Ultimate War, when they have a clean version of it on the OST, is beyond me. It's one of the most bizarre choices the producers made on this album.

-Erik-

And what's more, how come Johnny and Steve gave their approval on this??? shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Dark Shadows - Danny Elfman

Looks like it's not just people in this thread who've been listening to Kilar's Dracula recently.

It starts off promising... the first couple of tracks are excellent but then it turns into a lot of atmosphere. That being said I do love the electronics - an excellent color that feels right at home with this score. That theremin/Ondes Martenot like sound that pops up now and then is brilliant! The last 5 tracks bring the score back to life. As you said, Elfman is very much in love with Kilar but this score still has that instant Elfman vibe about it. There's no mistaking who wrote this score.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I couldn't make my mind up after just one listen what I thought, really. Like you I thought it started really promisingly - and I also liked the retro electronics - but it seemed all over the place at times.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Journey - Austin Wintory

Fine music BUT it's a laborious listen! You really have to be in the right mood to enjoy this completely.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    "Rocketeer to the Rescue" - James Horner

Is there a more joyful piece of film music?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2012
    Star Wars John Williams

Goes perfectly with 'The John Williams'.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    "Rocketeer to the Rescue" - James Horner

Is there a more joyful piece of film music?

YES! But you know it already.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. NP: Shame (Harry Escott)

It's a pretty clear rewrite of 'Journey to the Line', but... having just seen the film last night, it works a treat. An amazing heavy-hearted film too. Fassbender just keeps up with the amazing performances.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Shame (Harry Escott)

It's a pretty clear rewrite of 'Journey to the Line', but... having just seen the film last night, it works a treat. An amazing heavy-hearted film too. Fassbender just keeps up with the amazing performances.

What did you think of him in A Dangerous Method?

Cohen and Tate - Bill Conti

Begins more in suspense mode but by the halfway mark the dynamic small-scale action music begins to take charge. Delivers the usual high quality writing you expect from Conti.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    The Secret of Moonacre - Christian Henson

My first exposure to his work on CD and it's started off a very nice, if predictable, fantasy score.
  8. David OC wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Shame (Harry Escott)

What did you think of him in A Dangerous Method?

No issues with the characterisation by Fassbender, but I do think the scriptwriter/director kept a few too many ideas under the surface in that film. A little too much of the drama sits in letter-writing montages.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2012 edited
    JP: BICENTENNIAL MAN - JAMES HORNER

One of the few scores by Horner that I'd completely forgotten about until it randomly began playing (well, I'd had BEYOND BORDERS playing in iTunes beforehand and this followed alphabetically).

Though it's clearly a very pleasant background listen, due to it's obscenely derivative nature, it's essentially an 86min "Best Of..." medley inspired by the majority of Horner's drama scores up until that point.

It played by almost unnoticed until the completely lamentable Celine Dion end credits song began. Will Jennings is a figure who has to be congratulated for his professional consistency and this is by no means an exception:

I'm lost as can be/Then you look at me/And I am not lost anymore

Thought-provoking stuff.

NP: ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE - JOHN BARRY

Certainly not one I'll be putting in the "pleasant background listen" category any time soon!

And at least this one has a decent song.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yeap! Do You Know How Christmas Trees Are Grown is a classic. biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Exorcist II - Ennio Morricone

Superb stuff.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote

Superb stuff.

Reagen's theme is beautiful. I always found the scary stuff on this much scarier than Goldsmith's The Omen, in fact I never found any of Goldsmith's Omen scores scary.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2012 edited
    LSH wrote
    JP: BICENTENNIAL MAN - JAMES HORNER

Will Jennings is a figure who has to be congratulated for his professional consistency and this is by no means an exception:

I'm lost as can be/Then you look at me/And I am not lost anymore

Thought-provoking stuff.

I wonder if there has ever been a worse lyricist? My favourite is still the song in Land Before Time:

Valley, mountain
    There is a fountain
    Washes our tears all away
    Words are swaying
    Someone is praying
    Please let us come home to stay

It doesn't even make sense.

I haven't played Bicentennial Man for years but it does feature my all time favourite James Horner cue title, "The Passage of Time, A Changing of Seasons" - vintage stuff.
  9. My favourite James Horner track title is Young Diana's Conscience Is Finally Formed.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Wow, you're right, that is a good one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2012
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

Superb stuff.

Reagen's theme is beautiful. I always found the scary stuff on this much scarier than Goldsmith's The Omen, in fact I never found any of Goldsmith's Omen scores scary.

Me neither. Now, ALIEN, on the other hand....
    I am extremely serious.