• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2012 edited
    The Ghost Writer Alexandre Desplat

It's a very nice feeling when a composer you were never too sure about suddenly clicks. I've been enjoying a lot of Desplat scores lately, and revisiting many I shrugged off.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2012
    NP : BLACK GOLD - James Horner

Rapidly turning into my favourite for the year so far.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Valiant - George Fenton

Nothing short of magnificent.

Another winner, James.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    The Ghost Writer Alexandre Desplat

It's a very nice feeling when a composer you were never too sure about suddenly clicks. I've been enjoying a lot of Desplat scores lately, and revisiting many I shrugged off.

Brilliant score!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote

vomit wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

vomit wink

It's FOOKIN' GREAT! punk I know there's not an ounce of originality to it but I'm just really enjoying it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Admittedly there are about 5 or 6 cues that I really like. "The Wonders Of Wealth." "Fresh Water" and "Fresh Water" are really excellent but that main theme irritates the piss out of me.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Just finished another listen of Robert Folk's fantastic Beastmaster 2: Through The Portal of Time! I find zero faults with that score!

NP: Lawnmower Man 2: Beyond Cyperspace - Robert Folk

If you like John Williams' tender moments of Jurassic Park mixed with Jerry Goldsmith's hard hitting, no-holds-barred action music from Total Recall then you will love this album. It was wonderfully recorded by Chris Bibble and for a 90's Varese release this got a very generous 65 minute releases. It helps that the score was recorded in London with the London Sinfonia. This is hands down one of the finest action scores you will hear! Top notch film scoring here!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote

NP: Lawnmower Man 2: Beyond Cyperspace - Robert Folk

If you like John Williams' tender moments of Jurassic Park mixed with Jerry Goldsmith's hard hitting, no-holds-barred action music from Total Recall then you will love this album. It was wonderfully recorded by Chris Bibble and for a 90's Varese release this got a very generous 65 m

I like both those things but struggle to listen to the whole album. This is a similar problem I have with every Folk score I've heard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: WYATT EARP (James Newton Howard)

One of my favourite western scores. The 'love theme' even borders on my 'religious sound'.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

vomit wink

It's FOOKIN' GREAT! punk I know there's not an ounce of originality to it but I'm just really enjoying it.

I'm with you man, on my first listen I said: here's a Horner where every cue has something going for it and showcases his talent for melody and structure. I haven't said that in a long time. The music is more grand than anything he has done the past 5 years. I'm sure this will become a favourite of mine.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    The music is more grand than anything he has done the past 5 years.

He wrote some grand stuff for Avatar and the under appreciated The Karate Kid... which I enjoy much more that Black Gold.

-Erik-
  2. By grand I mean more epic, old-school action adventure style.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Yeah... that's in The Karate Kid!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I agree about Karate Kid, a very good score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I done maded a 12 minute suite of Karate Kid which is fantastic (if I don't say so myself). That's all I need from that score!
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    Yeah... that's in The Karate Kid!

-Erik-

That may be true but Black Gold has it in spades, where Karate Kid the odd track...

Oh and by the way, weren't you the one going meh.... sad when Avatar and Karate Kid came out, because you seem to have turned around and I predict it'll be the same for Black Gold. cheesy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Take sting Erik biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I think he's been pretty consistently "meh" on Avatar.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Black Gold didn't do anything for me, Karate Kid is by far better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    THE MECHANIC | jerry fielding

I can't listen to this without getting uncomfortable! dizzy
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : OSCAR & LUCINDA - Thomas Newman

Superb!
  4. Timmer wrote

Superb!

I have never heard this!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Star wars: Return of the jedi (Williams)

Reminds me why I so rarely listen to Star wars. I worship the themes, but 90% of of the music on these albums consists of underscore that doesn't interest me. I'd be happy with a single CD with concert versions of all the themes from the six movies. I'll have to make an album like that myself from the score albums, but I find it a chore listening to them all the way through to dig out the few tracks I like.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote

Superb!

I have never heard this!

Alan, give this a listen. One of Newman's most sublime pieces.

Peter smile
  5. plindboe wrote

Reminds me why I so rarely listen to Star wars. I worship the themes, but 90% of of the music on these albums consists of underscore that doesn't interest me. I'd be happy with a single CD with concert versions of all the themes from the six movies. I'll have to make an album like that myself from the score albums, but I find it a chore listening to them all the way through to dig out the few tracks I like.

Peter smile

Do you have the Revenge of the Sith soundtrack with the bonus DVD, a sort of compilation of clips nicely edited to the major Star Wars themes. That disc holds all the principal themes from all six movies, so you could make a CD with the tracklist found on the DVD. Saves you the chore ( shocked ) of going through all of the music.

With that said, going through every single second of Star Wars will never be a chore for myself.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote

Superb!

I have never heard this!

Alan, give this a listen. One of Newman's most sublime pieces.

Peter smile

That track in particular is just sublime.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote

Peter smile

Hmmmmm? uhm

I have decided not to comment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Oh and by the way, weren't you the one going meh.... sad when Avatar and Karate Kid came out, because you seem to have turned around and I predict it'll be the same for Black Gold. cheesy

I was "meh" on Avatar and I have changed my mind on that score, yes. Guilty as charged but I always felt that The Karate Kid was a very weak score up until "Journey to the Spiritual Mountain." Then it picks up speeds and blows you away and it's those remaining seven tracks that propelled The Karate Kid into my top 10 of 2010.

Black Gold on the other hand just isn't doing it for me. I've had this score for a very, very long time - since about the beginning of November - and have played it countless times and unfortunately my feels haven't changed. Like I said I do like about 5-6 tracks but those 5-6 tracks aren't going to propel the score into my Top 10.... especially a score with such an annoying theme!

-Erik-