• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2012
    Even as a Goldsmith devotee I have to admit Patton's always been a difficult listen for me too. I much prefer Tora Tora Tora which also received a deserved full release from FSM and it's a great album. The main theme is one of the more spine-tingling pieces of music Goldsmith ever composed, the way it builds in momentum and scope with each repetition through that opening piece. The Pre-Flight Countdown cue is just as addictive and like a lot of the score has some brilliant small scale percussion writing.

A Patch of Blue - JG
    Haven't heard this in a while but it's yet another masterful work - astonishingly beautiful, sensitive and delicate. It really is Goldsmith's To Kill a Mockingbird.
  1. Well said on Tora Tora Tora.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I'm in the camp (perhaps a sparsely-populated one) which prefers the RSNO recording of Patton to the FSM original tracks. It was the first one I heard and I never had a problem loving it. I do own an LP of Patton and at one time I even had the equipment to play it on (but sadly no more) and think that is the best recording. I know Intrada has released it on CD, but I couldn't quite bring myself to spend that much money on buying a score for the third time.

On the other hand, I do much prefer the FSM (and now re-released by La-La) release of Tora to the RSNO recording. That one really does benefit from the close-miking, I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    He, he....TORA TORA TORA. Always thought that was a funny name for a movie, since Tora was the name of a sweet, elderly woman (well, she was probably in her late 40's at the time, but she felt ancient to me) who lived next door to my family when I was a small kid. I used to run over there every day to get a special bowl of cereal and chocolate, and hang out a bit.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE PRIVATE LIVES OF ELIZABETH AND ESSEX (Erich Wolfgang Korngold)

Love the suite format. Great way to structure a composer who was frequently all over the place (although not as much as Steiner).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I don't think I've ever managed to listen to a Korngold score in its entirety. I always go straight for the suites.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : AMAZING GRACE - David Arnold

Exceptionally pleasent score, very relaxing.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : WAR HORSE - John Williams

Splendid score!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You've finally got it then... uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Steven wrote
    I don't think I've ever managed to listen to a Korngold score in its entirety. I always go straight for the suites.

Yeah, same here. I actually try to listen to only the best cues in the score and then move on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I'm like that with Herrmann. There are only a small handful of Herrmann complete scores I can get through - Vertigo, The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, Citizen Kane... but Korngold... man, I can listen to Kings Row, The Sea Hawk, The Adventures of Robin Hood, Another Dawn, etc front to back with ease.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2012 edited
    NP: Salt - JNH

Some really good tracks here. He manages to incorporate the Bourne characteristics into his own style and create something else. Makes me more optimistic for the new Bourne Legacy score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE DA VINCI CODE (Hans Zimmer)

Pure beauty.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    I'm like that with Herrmann. There are only a small handful of Herrmann complete scores I can get through - Vertigo, The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, Citizen Kane... but Korngold... man, I can listen to Kings Row, The Sea Hawk, The Adventures of Robin Hood, Another Dawn, etc front to back with ease.

-Erik-

Me too, no problem playing EWK's music from begining to end.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    You've finally got it then... uhm

Yes....back in early January. You haven't seen that I've NP'ed it here before?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Pfff... sure? :shrug:
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    VERY! tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I don't have BLACK GOLD or JOHN CARTER yet though.

NP : THE GOLDEN COMPASS - Alexandre Desplat

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    VERY! tongue

Nahhhh... c'mon. You're pulling my leg!
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Thor wrote
    NP: THE DA VINCI CODE (Hans Zimmer)

Pure beauty.

I wish more scores like this from him. But I don't see that happening any time soon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    City Hall - Jerry Goldsmith

Excellent grown-up thriller score with one of the standout pieces of film music of the 1990s, "The Meet".
  2. NP: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and The Skin I Live In (Alberto Iglesias)

I would mind if a couple more of the sourced music from Tinker was on that album, as it would shake up the listening experience a little. Despite that, both scores come from a composer with a real sense of what a wounded heart is. The weariness, danger and dread in the music are compulsive. And I don't particularly mind that noone else gets it -- more for me! wink
  3. Southall wrote

Excellent grown-up thriller score with one of the standout pieces of film music of the 1990s, "The Meet".

Was that cue for the scene where the pivotal act of violence in the film occurs? (I saw the film back in 1997, haven't seen it since or heard the score, but I do remember that scene well.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    Southall wrote

Was that cue for the scene where the pivotal act of violence in the film occurs? (I saw the film back in 1997, haven't seen it since or heard the score, but I do remember that scene well.)

Yes - the cue with all the On the Waterfront-style percussion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2012
    Back to Gaya - Michael Kamen

Positive, happy, joyous music. Great theme.
  4. NP: Ulysses Gaze and Eternity and a Day (Eleni Karaindrou)

Serious music. No one cracks jokes in these films. There's a sad lonely beauty to it though.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ANTARCTICA - Vangelis

Lovely, warm music for such a cold bleak continent.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    The Spiral Road - Jerry Goldsmith

Another stunning older work. The opening notes of the 'Main Title' are a very clear indication of the brilliance to come. So many great cues and many with striking orchestration, though the phenomenal 'Burning Village' may be the pick of them all.
  5. NP: The Weeping Meadow (Eleni Karaindrou)

Yep, another cheerful chamber orchestral score that somehow rocks Franz's boat. biggrin Karaindrou scores films that would never bring her music in every day film music chat, even among ardent fans. I'm still grateful for the accidental purchase that brought her music to my ears though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    She is something, isn't she?

I'm exhausted and so I need a pick me up so:
    Angels and Demons ~ Hans Zimmer
    Do I have to say why? smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...