• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2012 edited
    Don't like the weather forecast.

Great weather tomorrow and Monday, but Saturday it seems to be raining cats and dogs and Sunday is clouded. Hmmm.....seems like you're getting the crappy weather we've had in Oslo over the past week (rain, rain and more rain).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Anyone have any questions to JNH that I can ask on your behalf? Let me know tonight, and I'll see if I can squeeze it in...(should I be able to interview him).
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Thor wrote
    Don't like the weather forecast.

Great weather tomorrow and Monday, but Saturday it seems to be raining cats and dogs and Sunday is clouded. Hmmm.....seems like you're getting the crappy weather we've had in Oslo over the past week (rain, rain and more rain).

weather looks okay, mostly 18 to 19 degrees, saturday may indeed turn out to deliver some rain, but not all the time

ps, Marcel is here now and he's ready to drink several of our finest beers beer
    Bregt sadly is already drunk yet still wants to get some drinks

and I have to sleep with this man face-palm-mt
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Good to hear that you're having fun already! Give my best to the gang.

Sadly, I got some bad news today....the JNH interview I was supposed to have is -- for some reason -- scheduled for tomorrow at 14:20, which is about the time my plane leaves from Norway.

So at this point, it seems like the interview -- one of the main reasons for this trip -- is a goner. sad
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2012
    Ah... sad
    Can't they change it because you're not there??

I hope you still get a chance, later on or on saturday.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2012 edited
    Doesn't seem that way, no. I'm a bit annoyed that they promised me an interview and now they're having them before I even arrive. I realize it's a schedule thing, but they could at least have let me know earlier so that I could have booked an earlier flight or something. Oh well, it's beyond my control.

I'm off in 30 minutes, and will hopefully be in Ghent about 18:45 or thereabouts.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Have a good flight, see you tomorrow!
  2. we had an interview with JNH, it was however with another group of people. And sadly we only recorded 5 min of the interview (per accident). I've asked the other party if they wanted to send me the recording, hopefully we'll get it.

but the interview was nice, and for now the program looks to be this (not in this order of course)

- the sixth sense
    - signs
    - the village ???
    - king kong
    - the dark knight
    - grand canyon (will be conducting this one)
    - wyatt earp
    - i am legend

some 45 minutes for now

of course more to come in the next couple of days smile
    to those we will see this evening, see you then wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    Thanks for the info. Surely there's going to be something from The Fugitive too? smile
    And looking forward to the whole interview if you can obtain the whole thing!

Have there been additions to the Meet & Greet composer list, incidentally?

Looks like you're having fun there smile

See you tomorrow!
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    just a heads up I will be well enough to attend the dinner and concert with you guys. This flu had me down for a couple of days and still recovering. So I will probably not touch the beers. wait wut? :S

Cya all tomorrow.
  3. hey guys, a brief report smile

First of all, we met some truly great people: Christian and his sister are truly kind souls, who opened up the more we got to talk to them, Lee (LSH) and friend (Tom) we only saw for sporadic moments because they were out drinking more beers than humans can manage. Honestly, even Thor could be seriously in trouble with these guys shocked wink

As for the concert, it was excellent. Christian the true JNH fan was truly ecstatic. He was able to get a picture with JNH and he was able to get all his covers signed, followed by the cream of the crop, namely the concert itself.

They opened with SIGNS (a combination of the opening cue and the Hand of Fate). For me it was lacking a bit in power, which was strange considering all the rest was unbelievable shocked . It was like the orchestra needed some time to warm up.

For The Village we received a truly stunning performance of the lead violinist of the orchestra. It wasn't Hilary Hahn (not even the looks cheesy) , but he was exceptional nonetheless. BRAVO

The Sixth Sense was a mixture of several cues, the piano theme, a ghost encounter track and the final cue. By the way did I mention that almost all cues had support of the choir? wink

For many, truly man people however Snow White was the absolute triumph of the evening. And honestly it was. The power of the orchestra and choir was amazing and it was the performance many people went ecstatic about. Truly amazing stuff. We were all wondering why we weren't raving about the CD if we all heard this?

For Grand Canyon (aka the fanfare), JNH went on stage to conduct the piece personally. He knew he couldn't equal the performance of Dirk Brossé but he was in his element as we heard trumpets soar over the images of the Grand Canyon.

Then it was time for a combination of some Disney fare. First we had Dinosaur and the entire prologue and egg travels cue. Though there were soloist errors, many people loved the soaring performance. Then we received Hunger Games (farewell of Rue) which was nice. This was followed by Treasure Planet and Atlantis combined, a suite of the adventure theme of Treasure Planet and the final cue of Atlantis.

And the end was for Harvey Dent (The Dark Knight). Even though it wasn't the cue as heard on the album (only the first minute was), everybody was surprised to discover it was in fact the aggressive expansion (with the 2 note fanfare) that sounded incredibly monumental even without the electronics. So we might not have received the Harvey Dent suite, we got a powerful Batman encore in the end.

Of course, many people missed Wyatt Earp or Waterworld, but they went back with a smile back home as we heard the WSA will return next year punk

After the concert, Marcel, Elin, her nephew, Thor, several guys of streaming soundtracks (whose names I all can't remember shame ), Francis, Floris, Bregt, Christian went out for a drink. Tim Burden and Jim Ware joined us after that, including Lawrence of FSM who joined us for the dinner before that.

Most of us ended up in the festival cafe, where Bregt talked to David Julyan and a kind Alberto Iglesias for hours.

We got into bed at 5 o clock, even before Thor who was beaten by his own mighty hammer after too many wonderful Belgian beers

ahhhhh, what an experience. I'm sure we will see many guys come back next year. Thor, Marcel and Jordi (who was sadly missing this year) already know the power of Ghent, I'm sure Christian, Lee and many others have finally discovered it too.

For now, this was Thomas, hearing Bregt behind listening to crap music that only GOD is able to appreciate wink

We missed all you guys who weren't there
  4. Thanks for the report Thomas, sounds phenomenal! Really wish I could have been there.
  5. Again it great to be in Ghent again and meeting you. Bregt on behalf of all SST members who joined the dinner (Ad, Anton, Birgit, Boris, HW, Marianne, Ruben, Robert and me) thank you for the nice diner. We enjoyed it very much, also the concert and HW and I enjoyed the drink afterwards.

And Bregt tnx for the purple Purple! ( testing if the code is already in place wink )

Looking forward to meet you again on one of the festivals around the globe. If SST is organizing one (which you can also see in our
    StreamingSoundTracks.COM 'Meet & Greet' World Tour 2011-2013
    thread), I will add a post here as well, because you MainTitles friends are always welcome to join our gatherings.

Looking forward to the next event.
    That's the beauty of music. They can't take that away from you. (Andy Dufresne)
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2012
    Thanks all for the lovely weekend. Because I was still recovering from the flu I could not attend for the lovely beers. But it was still an awesome weekend! Thank you all for organizing this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2012
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Most of us ended up in the festival cafe, where Bregt talked to David Julyan and a kind Alberto Iglesias for hours.

One of the highlights for me was chatting to an incredibly drunk and incoherent David Julyan for what seemed like ages. He smoked all my cigarettes too! An utterly hilarious encounter.
  6. LSH wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

One of the highlights for me was chatting to an incredibly drunk and incoherent David Julyan for what seemed like ages. He smoked all my cigarettes too! An utterly hilarious encounter.

I needed to delete the fact Julyan was in fact hammered, but yes it was fun

so you guys seem to have made it safely back, good to hear
    I hope to see you guys next year smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2012
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

For many, truly man people however Snow White was the absolute triumph of the evening. And honestly it was. The power of the orchestra and choir was amazing and it was the performance many people went ecstatic about. Truly amazing stuff. We were all wondering why we weren't raving about the CD if we all heard this?

Well, i told you so? smile

PHOTOS PLEASE!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Ha! Snow White had a really good theme, I did remember liking some tracks, but yeah, the piece was unexpected! I loved Signs, Dinosaur and The Dark Knight. Not sure what all was JNH's, but hearing Aggressive Expansion with only orchestra was something. While JNH didn't always have a really convincing last couple of scores in recent years, it is clear he has an impressive oeuvre with some classic scores like The Village, Signs, Dinosaur, ... He conducted Grand Canyon himself, and I had never heard that one, and here was the other surprise for me. What an odd but very fine theme!

The partying afterwards was intense and lasted until well in the early morning. The long chat with David Julyan was surreal, but lots of fun. I love The Prestige a lot, and he talked a bit about some techniques he used for that, and how it may have influenced the Joker's Theme for example. Good guy. The late encounter with Alberto Iglesias is also something to remember.

As for the 4 days in Ghent, it was one mighty weekend. Meeting new faces, Christian, his sister, Lee and his friend Tom, Tim Burden, some FSM members .. and the regulars like the always great Thor, Marcel, Jim, ... and of course the SST group, including regulars from MT, Stefan and Ad!

Lee and Tom's weekend surely focused on the night and not the day, and it was not easy to get hold of them, but glad to have met those crazy British people. There's no way you can win any drinking game with them! I think they can agree we did some great places in Ghent. I'm sure they'll be back. Christian seems to have fallen in love with the city, the beers and the food. I'm looking forward to his pictures.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Here is a video of the Harvey Dent Suite
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC5IV_qsOGc

On Facebook is one of Signs:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=3882652590113
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    Bregt wroteAs for the 4 days in Ghent, it was one mighty weekend. Meeting new faces, Christian, his sister, Lee and his friend Tom, Tim Burden, some FSM members .. and the regulars like the always great Thor, Marcel, Jim, ... and of course the SST group, including regulars from MT, Stefan and Ad!

Pfft I am more often here than Ad is :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    Cool! I really enjoyed both nights out in Ghent, so much so my head was still spinning yesterday spin

The concert was amazing; the Donaggio suite and the JNH material (King Kong, Snow White and the Huntsmen, Hunger Games, Grand Canyon, ...) all very moving performances. Another homerun edition!
  7. Caliburn wrote
    Bregt wroteAs for the 4 days in Ghent, it was one mighty weekend. Meeting new faces, Christian, his sister, Lee and his friend Tom, Tim Burden, some FSM members .. and the regulars like the always great Thor, Marcel, Jim, ... and of course the SST group, including regulars from MT, Stefan and Ad!

Pfft I am more often here than Ad is :P

who? wink
    That's the beauty of music. They can't take that away from you. (Andy Dufresne)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    True! biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    After our lunch on saturday we went to the hotel to check in and we slept for about two hours, because we were both feeling a bit flu-y. Half past five we decided to walk a bit in the direction of Kuipke already and just see where we could have a drink or something. We took our time which was good because I wasn't feeling too well.

Perhaps that's the reason I didn't experience the concert fully, a bit like I wasn't really there. Still there were some great moments for me, first of all Signs. I really enjoyed Signs and preferred that performance over The Village. Perhaps a couple of reasons: I'm always touched by the first piece that is played and Signs was first. There was something about it (perhaps pace, or power like Thomas said?) but still, hearing it live was awesome to me. I didn't enjoy the The Village too much because I'm so familiar with the album that any difference is a bit distracting. It was still nice of course! Snow White is one of my favourite recent scores so I was looking forward to it very much. What I loved about the concert was that they didn't play my favourite tracks but they played the pieces that were perfect for orchestra and choir and the live version was so much better than on album! Truly a highlight. So then we were halfway the JNH-part of the concert and what surprised me was that the first piece that really moved me was Dinosaur. Everything until then was nice or really good or an excellent performance or whatever, but Dinosaur did it for me (yes, even with the not-so-good start with the flute) and because of Dinosaur I felt I was really there.

One thing about the sound and I'm wondering of other people agree: I had the impression the sound was better last year. Also I thought all soloists were too loud, whether it was singer, violin or flute, just a bit too loud or sharp. Anyone agree or was it because of my headache?
    wink

A returning tradition for me with these weekends is regret. I did not take a photo with James Newton Howard, I did not take a photo with anyone actually and I did not join the group. When I'm there I want to run and when I'm home I wish I had stayed. Even when I tell myself "you'll regret it" I still can't convince myself to completely go for it. So, like I deserve, the next days will be torture when everyone starts posting their photos, whether it's with composers or with eachother, of having a good time.

I'll go upload the photos I took right now. wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    I forgot two highlights: James Newton Howard's "stick waving" and Abel Korzeniowski's video. It's so clear he had a wonderful time last year and I also loved how he was talking about us all, communities, people who love and share music and support the composers. It put a big smile on my face.
    cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Hi Bregje, sorry to hear about your flu-like afternoon. Not a good way to have the concert starting indeed, but from your report above I think you still enjoyed it a large part. wink I hope you could enjoy the meet&greet as well.

As for not joining on the picture; being not comfortable to do something you don't want is not always a good idea, but I must say wondered where you were. Last year you joined us and that went all well, so no reason to not do it again. No problem though. smile

How was the monastery?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2012 edited
    Massive thanks to Bregt for organising everything (Tom also sends his thanks). It's still a shame that the beer, food and girls diverted our focus from a lot of the film music related parts of the weekend but it was still a privilege to meet everyone, attend the concert and converse drunkenly with some of the composers in attendance. My MainTitles kazoo is still presently in quarantine due to dangerously high concentrations of alcoholic spittle.

Tom and I will most certainly return and hopefully we can all meet sooner at another event somewhere.

cool
    • CommentAuthorLWhitehead
    Many thanks to Bregt for having me at the meal on Saturday - I had a great time, and it was lovely to meet everyone!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, just gotta sign up on the whole 'excellent' thing. May have a more full report later. Just got back 2 hours ago.

And yes....I managed to score a 9-minute interview with JNH 'off-program', so all is good in this world. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Meanwhile, here are 38 great pictures from the event:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= … 4b40ac45f7
    I am extremely serious.