• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2014
    AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS/ VICTOR YOUNG/1956

It seems a shame that Victor passed away before he received an Oscar. One of the more tuneful soundtracks of all time.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  1. I have a suite of that score somewhere. I'll look it up.

I always though this thread should be sticky since it is updated so regularly! wink
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I don't really see the point in the 'sticky' function since it will be boosted to the top upon new additions anyway.

Back to topic, I like what I've heard of Young, but I haven't heard AROUND THE WORLD... yet. It's been on my list for a long time.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Aside from the New Members thread I have never seen the need to make any thread a sticky.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Indeed.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Whatever Bregt decides to do is fine with me. I've no problem with it not being a sticky.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2014
    This is such an easy one for me there is really nothing at all for me to think about so here it is.
    BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI (1957) SIR MALCOM ARNOLD. There were some others that year such as Peyton Place, Boy on a Dolphin, Raintree Country, and Gunfight at O.K. Corral but these don't come close, at least not in my opinion. Next year is really a no brainer too except for the Academy but we'll wait a few days.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Right now, I can't remember that much beyond the ultra-famous march (the 'whistling' one), but I sampled it a few years ago, and liked quite a few of the tracks.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. And that "whistling march" was composed by Keneth J. Alphord (Frederick Joseph Ricketts). There is another march in that film that Arnold wrote himself but that became not nearly as popular.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A great choice Tom, Arnold's score is excellent.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The thought just ran through my mind about starting a site up concentrating on classical music in films. Probably not enough interest, just as Golden Scores failed to catch on.
    Tom smile
  3. I think that Golden Scores wasn't really advertised enough to gain any momentum with readership.

Golden Age does prove to be a bit of a problem for listeners, because knowing how tastes changed regarding music in general and the awareness of the classical tradition in later generations, there is a lot to be done to promote it. Both classical music and Golden Age film scores.

For someone "in the know", the fact that at least one or two Golden Age composers were students of Mahler is something quite breathtaking to realize. For someone born not so long ago, you'd have to actually explain who Mahler was.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2014 edited
    sdtom wrote
    The thought just ran through my mind about starting a site up concentrating on classical music in films. Probably not enough interest, just as Golden Scores failed to catch on.
    Tom smile

You don't need to do that. Just create a sperate section on your blog dedicated only to classical film music in films.

The problem with Golden Scores is that it wasn't updated enough and I don't think it was marketed properly. Honestly, the site should still be on-line even if it isn't updated anymore. It was a treasure trove of great reviews and good discussion. And the site looked great as well.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. There definitely has to be a bigger-scale website that would promote Golden Age music. It has to be marketed well, too. What we need is more young film score fans that could find something for themselves. There are I think two very important reasons for that.

One is a general awareness of musical tradition. If there was something that would speak more about classical influences of film scores (and Golden Age, as we all know, is a galore of classical influences and itself could be regarded as a downright off-shoot of neo-Romantic classical music).

The second reason, for me, is making listeners aware of how diverse the genre can be, so we don't get posts like destroying John Williams' Superman score, just because it doesn't sound like Hans Zimmer (the youtube fanbase, sadly, after Man of Steel). The awareness of potential diversity may be huge. We know that among film scores there may be many future filmmakers (as shown by the recent influx into A-list directors, people like J. J. Abrams - whether we like their films or not - are proper film music nerds, just like this message board members).

Such site would, I believe, have immense educational role.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2014
    I think that the deal was that Bregt wanted $100 to keep it up. He has said again I think that he could recover the scores. I guess at this point I'm fairly well established at my Film Music: A Neglected Art and I do review whatever golden age material is released or I discover. Last month I reviewed two of them so I think I'm on top of them. On the agenda for this month is It's A Wonderful Life which will generate traffic for me.
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2014/06/19/t … reetrozsa/
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2014/06/07/f … law-kaper/

Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2014 edited
    I didn't want money for the work on the site Tom. It just cost me 100EUR to run it.

If I had the time ... I'd certainly recreate it. Preferably as a WordPress site.
    Kazoo
  5. Tom, would you consider expanding A Neglected Art into a bigger-scale site?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2014
    Bregt wrote
    I didn't want money for the work on the site Tom. It just cost me 100EUR to run it.

If I had the time ... I'd certainly recreate it. Preferably as a WordPress site.

On Wordpress could I have a messageboard?
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Tom, would you consider expanding A Neglected Art into a bigger-scale site?

Yes I would and would offer others to write for me. As an example you could write about Hans Zimmer Tim about John Barry etc.
    Tom
  6. Tom, if you have a hosting server (and with that a domain), you can pick any message board you would like, here the system is called Vanilla, but the most popular one is called PHPBB. So basically once you have a server that features databases, you can have Wordpress for your reviews and, say, the Vanilla database for a message board.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Sounds like a good plan. If I can get a little help with this I'm willing to make an effort. With my leg set backs I'm in a wheelchair a lot of the time and confined to my apartment.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bregt wrote
    This thread is stickied and will be until the Tom has ended it.

You sit on a throne of lies.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I don't remember him saying that Steven. Thanks for pointing it out.
    Tom smile
  7. sdtom wrote
    Sounds like a good plan. If I can get a little help with this I'm willing to make an effort. With my leg set backs I'm in a wheelchair a lot of the time and confined to my apartment.
    Tom

The most important thing is to buy hosting and a domain. This is a yearly rate, I'm afraid. I am not quite into hosting and domain costs at the moment, sadly. When that's set up, the rest is pretty simple, I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2014
    I'm pretty confident that Bregt will see this and help out. If I could keep it on wordpress I would like that given the fact I've been there for eight years.
    Tom smile
  8. Installing Wordpress is the easiest thing to do, really smile It takes literally a couple of seconds.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    They have a system that is pretty trouble free.
    Tom
  9. There is a difference between using Wordpress' hosting (wordpress.com) and getting the wordpress template for a website (from wordpress.org).
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I think I can change and keep the 725 reviews that I've done.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    THE BIG COUNTRY (1958)/MOROSS This is a no brainer for me as I really like this score a whole whole lot. It could be the best western score of all time!!! I think the followers of this thread will agree with me.
    Tom smile