• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2013
    Waxman is -- without competition -- my alltime favourite Golden Age composer. You can't go wrong with him.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2013
    No Grofe?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2013
    sorry Tim not in the same league.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    SUNSET BLVD (1950). Waxman and Wilder got this film perfect. I had pondered a bit about "All About Eve" but decided against it at the last minute.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I concur with your choice Tom.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Along with the rest of the board. This was a year that the Oscar voting got it right.
    Tom
  1. I have to admit that my collection is rather weak in respect of films of 1950. I just listened to the Gerhardt suite from Sunset Boulevard and from what I hear that is a fine choice.

The only other score of that year that I could find in my collection in a quick survey is Treasure Island by Clifton Parker. That too is a fine score.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    sdtom wrote
    Along with the rest of the board.

WITH the odd exception here and there.
    Grmbl grmbl.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Volker you should have a listen to "All About Eve."
    Tom
  2. Good choice Tom.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Thanks for the recommendaton!
    Frankly Alfred Newman isn't among my favourite composers. The compilations I have (Captain from Castile; Man from Galilee) doesn't seem to feature that film. I'll turn to YouTube now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2013
    I have the Varese rerecording of SUNSET (I think...I may have traded it away). It's OK, but it grates a bit. I'm a HUGE Waxman buff, but this one never connected with me, for some reason.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2013
    All About Eve can be found on the Bette Davis compilation with Gerhardt and also on a recent Kritzerland release. I believe that the FSM recording that I have is out of print.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2014
    HMMM!!! Time is close for another selection.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2014
    After much thought I decided to choose A Streetcar Named Desire (1951) from Alex North. Not only does it fit the film perfectly Blanche's Theme is perfect for a compilation album. I think the fact that North had two nominations that year may have cost him an Oscar. What do you think about that theory?
    Tom
  4. sdtom wrote
    After much thought I decided to choose A Streetcar Named Desire (1951) from Alex North. Not only does it fit the film perfectly Blanche's Theme is perfect for a compilation album. I think the fact that North had two nominations that year may have cost him an Oscar. What do you think about that theory?
    Tom

Good choice Tom but, "Klaatu barada nikto". That's all I'm saying. wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I certainly gave that film a lot of thought.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Some great scores that year, particularly both of your choices and I would add Tiomkin's THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD. For personal enjoyment I choose Rozsa's QUO VADIS.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Alan you might be surprised when I get to 1953. Remember this is my list.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    I think the fact that North had two nominations that year may have cost him an Oscar. What do you think about that theory?
    Tom

It certainly didn't help John Williams or James Horner. ( but at least neither of them had to wait until the September of their careers to get one......and an honorary one at that )

I'm trying to think if there's ever been a case of a composer nominated twice for original score and winning for one of them?
  5. Timmer wrote
    Some great scores that year, particularly both of your choices and I would add Tiomkin's THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD. For personal enjoyment I choose Rozsa's QUO VADIS.

Domine quo vadis?

Was the first thing that crossed my mind. But then I'm a Rozsa fan boy. cheesy

Streetcar is a very good choice. I have the VS re-recording in my collection, Jerry Goldsmith conducting the National Philharmonic Orchestra.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    STREETCAR is indeed a good choice, and what an important/influential score it is. One of the cornerstones of film music history.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2014 edited
    Timmer wrote
    sdtom wrote
    I think the fact that North had two nominations that year may have cost him an Oscar. What do you think about that theory?
    Tom

It certainly didn't help John Williams or James Horner. ( but at least neither of them had to wait until the September of their careers to get one......and an honorary one at that )

I'm trying to think if there's ever been a case of a composer nominated twice for original score and winning for one of them?

There has! Williams won for STAR WARS the same year he was also nominated for CLOSE ENCOUNTERS.

edit: It happened a few times quite a while ago when they used to nominate around 20 scores per year.

I found that Rozsa did it in 1945 when we won for SPELLBOUND and was also nominated for THE LOST WEEKEND and A SONG TO REMEMBER.

Steiner won in 1944 and was nominated for two scores that year.

Herrmann won it in 1941 and was nominated for two scores.

Wikipedia is amazing.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2014
    I usually search Wiki.

Thanks for the info Christopher. A younger version of me would have remembered the Star Wars / Close Encounters nominations shame wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2014
    The one that immediately came to my mind was the Rozsa year because it was so hard to choose between them.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2014 edited
    JULIUS CAESAR)/MIKLOS ROZSA (1952)

Little did I know when I purchased the Intrada release in 1995 conducted by Bruce Broughton, performed by the Sinfonia of London, and reconstructed by Daniel Robbins how often I would listen to this great treasure. In a distant second place was the Hugo Friedhofer score to the film Above and Beyond, which if it had come out in another year it might have been chosen. A Rozsa score always seems to sound like an extra effort was made and this score ranks high on the scales like so many he did.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2014
    That's a great album, although it can be a bit intense at times (probably because all the bombastic material seems grouped in one section of the album -- much like the rowing music on the BEN HUR release).
    I am extremely serious.
  6. sdtom wrote
    JULIUS CAESAR)/MIKLOS ROZSA (1952)

Little did I know when I purchased the Intrada release in 1995 conducted by Bruce Broughton, performed by the Sinfonia of London, and reconstructed by Daniel Robbins how often I would listen to this great treasure. In a distant second place was the Hugo Friedhofer score to the film Above and Beyond, which if it had come out in another year it might have been chosen. A Rozsa score always seems to sound like an extra effort was made and this score ranks high on the scales like so many he did.
    Tom

punk beer

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2014
    My choice for 1953 was a relatively easy one with the honor going to Bernard Herrmann for his work on BENEATH THE TWELVE MILE REEF. His use of the 9 harps made the glissando chords synonymous with under water photography. I saw the film when it first came out in 1953 and the music at the ripe age of six made a lasting impression on me. I purchased the FSMCD Vol 3 No.10 release from February 2001. It is also included in the Herrmann box from 2011. On the Waterfront was a good release and the only score that Leonard Bernstein did.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2014
    My friend Erik is going to know what is coming in 1954.
    Tom