• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2013
    I agree with you Alan on the Varese re-recording although I also have the Adriano version on Naxos.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Great score and like Alan I prefer the Varese rerecording. Waxman is my favourite Golden Age composer, without doubt!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm glad you both agree.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2013
    I'm considering the classic Steiner score for 1941 but we'll see.
    Tom smile
  1. sdtom wrote
    I'm considering the classic Steiner score for 1941 but we'll see.
    Tom smile

Or perhaps a classic Herrmann? wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    That has also entered my mind
    Tom cheesy
  2. I would imagine that importance in terms of the overall genre of film scoring - and the place specific scores sit within this history - may be battling with a score that has a more emotional and personal attachment?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Can't argue with that.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2013
    CITIZEN KANE (1941)/HERRMANN. This is a groundbreaking score that set the bar for both Herrmann and Welles. I've done a previous review for you to ponder.

http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2010/02/22/h … eherrmann/

Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    No. Argument. Whatsoever.

punk beer hug
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Herrmann will have many to consider in the list.
    Tom
  3. Excellent choice Tom. A difficult score to listen to away from the film I think and probably a film/score that would have been such an eye-opener at the time.

But I do wonder how much of a radical sound Herrmann's score actually was at the time? Sure, it was very different to the European-influenced scores of the likes of Korngold, etc but Herrmann's style in Citizen Kane was akin to his music for radio drama. Perhaps people could relate to the music via their experience with radio?

Though, I am not taking anything away from Herrmann's score: it is a landmark score in film music history.
  4. sdtom wrote
    Herrmann will have many to consider in the list.
    Tom

I'm interested to see if Herrmann will feature as often in your final list as he appeared in mine!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    He sure wrote a lot of wonderful scores.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2013
    Timmer wrote
    sdtom wrote
    GONE WITH THE WIND/STEINER (1939)

The list is long for 1939 and depending on your preference of musical style you could have chosen "Wuthering Heights," "Wizard of Oz," "Of Mice and Men," or "Gulliver's Travels." My opinion the main theme is so strong that it over powers all of them. There are many recordings of it but the one that I enjoy is the Charles Gerhardt/National Philharmonic recording. The man just had a way with these classic films and I'm only sorry he didn't do more.
    Tom

You may think this a bit weird but I'm not really familiar with this score, beyond the theme of course, which I expect even a small portion of the public could name.

Find the Gerhardt re-recording! It's stunning!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2013
    That funny scherzo-like overture from Citizen Kane frequently starts playing in my head as I go through life. Curiously the rest of the score does nothing for me. I'm sure more listens could reveal the quality of this score to me, but I have so much else to listen to I'm not sure I'll ever get around to it.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2013
    Erik is correct. The re-recording is worth having and to my knowledge it is still available from Sony.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2013
    There is another Herrmann entry for 1942 to consider

Tom smile
  5. sdtom wrote
    There is another Herrmann entry for 1942 to consider

Tom smile

There is certainly a contender from Herrmann that year, but it's one that I have never really warmed to. But I will leave it at that to see if it's the final choice. But 1942 does throw up some excellent choices, from the US and abroad.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'd say!
    One of the few zenith years for film, with a whole slew of truly outstanding classics seeing the light of day!

I sense for a score we might find Tom leaning towards a certain Korngold... (Mystic Martijn hath spoken)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  6. Sounds like a superhero or villain.

Is it a plane? Is it a bird? No... it's Mystic Martijn!!!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Martijn wrote
    I'd say!
    One of the few zenith years for film, with a whole slew of truly outstanding classics seeing the light of day!

I sense for a score we might find Tom leaning towards a certain Korngold... (Mystic Martijn hath spoken)

He is certainly in the running Martijn.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Sounds like a superhero or villain.

Is it a plane? Is it a bird? No... it's Mystic Martijn!!!

And definitely not a superhero!
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2013
    biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2013
    1942 is coming up soon

Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2013
    JUNGLE BOOK (1942)/MIKLOS ROZSA. A little bit of sentimental feeling toward this one because my Dad had this release on 78's and would play it for me. The versatility of Rozsa over the years still amazes me as do so many of the golden age composers.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Rozsa for Jungle Book, but NOT for Thief Of Bagdad in '40?
    uhm

I wouldn't want to offend Scribe's sensibilities in suggesting you migt be wrong, but you're WRONG! YOU'RE WRONG! WRONG!!!!!

wink

(It might not surprise you to learn that I have the EXACT SAME sentimentality towards The Thief Of Bagdad.
    Except it was a 33' release)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2013 edited
    I don't know what I went for in Alan's thread ( I shall look for it in a moment ) but my mood today says Sir William Walton's sublime THE FIRST OF THE FEW
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. sdtom wrote
    JUNGLE BOOK (1942)/MIKLOS ROZSA. A little bit of sentimental feeling toward this one because my Dad had this release on 78's and would play it for me. The versatility of Rozsa over the years still amazes me as do so many of the golden age composers.
    Tom

Good choice Tom. Listening to the Film Music Society's release of the original soundtrack is a bit of a chore but the Varese re-recording is worth a listen. Jungle Book has never really "clicked" with the though.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    I don't know what I went for in Alan's thread ( I shall look for it in a moment ) but my mood today says Sir William Walton's sublime THE FIRST OF THE FEW

Unusually for Alan's old thread I didn't choose anything? I can tell Alan that much to Martijn's chagrin you chose another Korngold, KING'S ROW.