• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Basically Richard Wagner was the first film composer. Firstly the "Leitmotiv" concept is largely his invention, secondly the technique of underscoring and thirdly the concept of the "Gesamtkunstwerk" that clearly anticipates motion pictures.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. What about Berlioz's Symphonie fantastique and his "idee fixe" there? I think that's the first main theme ever right there.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2013
    Captain Future wrote
    Basically Richard Wagner was the first film composer. Firstly the "Leitmotiv" concept is largely his invention, secondly the technique of underscoring and thirdly the concept of the "Gesamtkunstwerk" that clearly anticipates motion pictures.

Volker

Max Steiner and Korngold certainly got his ideas from Wagner and Strauss.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2013
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Herrmann's score was my own choice for 1947 but I didn't want to "hijack" Tom's topic by going over my own choices again.

I think it would be in good taste if you were to remind us of your choice.
    Tom
  3. sdtom wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Herrmann's score was my own choice for 1947 but I didn't want to "hijack" Tom's topic by going over my own choices again.

I think it would be in good taste if you were to remind us of your choice.
    Tom

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir was my own choice for 1947. A beautiful and romantic score from Herrmann.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2013
    Not a score that gets the attention it deserves Alan. Good film too.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    HAMLET/SIR WILLIAM WALTON- There have been many soundtracks on Hamlet but this is most worthy of he best of 1948. I considered Joan of Arc/Friedhofer and "The Red Shoes" but both fell short.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    HAMLET/SIR WILLIAM WALTON- There have been many soundtracks on Hamlet but this is most worthy of he best of 1948. I considered Joan of Arc/Friedhofer and "The Red Shoes" but both fell short.
    Tom

All would be great choices but none of them are mine. There is one score that towers above these and that is Vaughan Williams SCOTT OF THE ANTARCTIC
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2013
    I'll always think of it as a symphony which is of course my problem
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2013
    1949 produced one that is standing out in my mind but I want to make sure before I commit
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2013
    sdtom wrote
    Tom

Hmmm, I should probably have a listen to that one.
    To win out over Rozsa's landmark Naked City, Tiomkins boisterous Red River and Bax' lyrical Oliver Twist , it must be an exceptional score indeed!

Is there a rerecording I could get my hands on that you know of?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2013
    http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp … e=8.553344

Still available to my knowledge. This is a rerecording done by Christopher Palmer. If you can't find it I would be most happy to mail it to you my friend just send me an address in a pm.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2013 edited
    This year was relatively easy for me even though it is somewhat off the radar. THE RED PONY/COPLAND(1949)

This score is successful on two counts. As a soundtrack the feeling of Americana oozes from it and became a template of sorts for films. As a classical concert piece which Copland reworked it is a masterpiece. I've heard it in person and remember it well. The concert version is readily available from Sony.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2013
    And this score truly a great example of the golden age has no responses???
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    ...not a fan of Copland, and The Red Pony is no exception for me, Tom. Sorry.

That said, 1949 wasn't the greatest year for film music for me.
    It'd be a toss-up between Newman's Prince Of Foxes, Rozsa's Madame Bovary and Kardas' The Third Man, with the nod probably going to the latter, monothematic as it is.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I, on the other hand, really love Copland. I have the RED PONY suite on a compilation.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'd have chosen Victor Young's SAMSON AND DELILAH
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. I may be forced to completely redo my own list - I have Scott of the Antarctic down as my 1949 choice rather than being from a 1948 film. Checking imdb.com I do see that SotA was released in the UK in December 1948 (just) and the rest of the world in 1949.

sad

I also have a selection of tracks from The Red Pony on a compilation ("The Red Pony Suite", Slatkin/SLSO, RCA Victor Red Seal) but it's a selection that I rarely listen to. Has there ever been a release of the actual score Tom?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    In that case I shall choose the totally awesome SCOTT OF THE ANTARCTIC as my choice for 1948 and 1949 wink
  5. Timmer wrote
    In that case I shall choose the totally awesome SCOTT OF THE ANTARCTIC as my choice for 1948 and 1949 wink

That's a good idea!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    There is a soundtrack release from VARESE I believe. I have an LP transfer of it.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2013
    Choosing between Scott and the Pony was really hard.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote
    Tom

"Scott and the Pony".....that sounds like a novel. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    Tom

For me it's not even close, not by a very long way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I know the feeling Tim. I can say that because I'm an American my heart leans toward Copland. But I own the symphony and the film music for Scott and two different versions of the Pony. 1950 has a couple of really good ones too.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'll be giving two scores a very serious listen this weekend.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2013
    Which I did and I'm struggling to decide.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2013
    I'm considering having a tie between Newman and Waxman.
    Tom
  6. sdtom wrote
    I'm considering having a tie between Newman and Waxman.
    Tom

Personally, I would go with the Waxman. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2013
    And you'd be wrong. angry