• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Yes, I chose Kings Row. But let's not dig that up again! wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2013
    I was displeased.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2013
    sdtom wrote
    JUNGLE BOOK (1942)/MIKLOS ROZSA. A little bit of sentimental feeling toward this one because my Dad had this release on 78's and would play it for me. The versatility of Rozsa over the years still amazes me as do so many of the golden age composers.
    Tom

I concur. Excellent excellent score.

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2013 edited
    JUNGLE BOOK is great. I have the long suite that is coupled with THIEF OF BAGHDAD. In fact, that's my oldest CD in terms of when it was pressed -- about 1983, I think.

[Edit: No, I don't. I've sold it. Still have the digital copy, though]
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2013
    Sorry your so upset Martijn.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thor wrote
    JUNGLE BOOK is great. I have the long suite that is coupled with THIEF OF BAGHDAD. In fact, that's my oldest CD in terms of when it was pressed -- about 1983, I think.

I have that one too. I normally loath suites, but think that this one works really well. I almost feel that FSM did the score a disservice by releasing the OST where it sounds so small and old, and I find it so much more awesome in the 1981 re-recorded version; I think some people might not realize how good it is if all they have is the OST.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Some people only want the original soundtrack.
    Tom smile
  2. plindboe wrote
    Thor wrote

I have that one too. I normally loath suites, but think that this one works really well. I almost feel that FSM did the score a disservice by releasing the OST where it sounds so small and old, and I find it so much more awesome in the 1981 re-recorded version; I think some people might not realize how good it is if all they have is the OST.

Peter smile

Hollywood Chronicles, Varese? But that would be 1991?

Volker

EDIT: O, I see, yes I have that one, too. Indeed 1983. Back then the European Varese pressings still went under the label of Colosseum.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2013
    FOR WHOM THE BELLS TOLL (1943)/VICTOR YOUNG

There were three films to be considered for 1943: CASABLANCA, SONG OF BERNADETTE (oscar winner), and my winner FOR WHOM THE BELLS TOLL. Victor Young has always been quietly under the radar with the exception of AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2013
    I'm surprised that no one commented on my 1943 selection. Perhaps no one is aware of the soundtrack as it did appear on Rod McKuen's record label.
    Tom
  3. sdtom wrote
    I'm surprised that no one commented on my 1943 selection. Perhaps no one is aware of the soundtrack as it did appear on Rod McKuen's record label.
    Tom

Maybe I should have said something since this was my choice for 1943 as well. The release could do with some tender loving care and a rerelease.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2013
    I've no albums from '43, so can't comment much. I've heard a bit of Newman's The song of Bernadette, which sounds rather neat, but that's it.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2013
    "Rather neat"! angry crazy
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2013
    Song of Bernadette is outstanding. Love the theme from Casablanca but it really isn't original to the film. Was written in 1928 I believe.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2013
    Martijn wrote
    "Rather neat"! angry crazy

Shall I get my little wizard man, he's good at crying for other people.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2013
    Hehe, in my book "rather neat" means that something is good. But perhaps I'd have chosen some grander words if I knew it better. I shall listen to it more.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2013
    LAURA/RAKSIN is my choice for 1944. It is so powerful a theme and has so many variations that it works perfectly in the film. My other considerations were "Double Indemnity" and "Since You Went Away"(the oscar winner). Next year will be a year again for Rozsa.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    What I might select as a CD is the new Kritzerland release of Preminger at Fox, a two CD release that includes a 27 minute themes and variations of Laura, an excellent way to get most of the score as well as some other worthwhile score.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2013 edited
    sdtom wrote
    LAURA/RAKSIN is my choice for 1944. It is so powerful a theme and has so many variations that it works perfectly in the film. My other considerations were "Double Indemnity" and "Since You Went Away"(the oscar winner). Next year will be a year again for Rozsa.
    Tom

good choice Tom, for me it has to be DOUBLE INDEMNITY, a great score but those main titles alone are absolute killer!

Not far behind are two scores from two of the 20th century's greatest composers, HENRY V by Sir William Walton and IVAN THE TERRIBLE by Sergei Prokofiev.

By the way, my top 3 films for this year are Double Indemnity, Laura and Lifeboat ( Hitchcock )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    sdtom wrote
    LAURA/RAKSIN is my choice for 1944.

No surprises there! smile
  4. I have the Kritzerland release of Laura and I find it really difficult to listen to the whole CD in one sitting. It is just too reliant on Raksin's excellent theme. The score works perfectly in the movie, less so away from it, IMO.

But a great choice Tom. It's one of the most recorded themes in Hollywood, I believe?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, I could never sit through the whole thing either (the score, that is). I had the RCA album suite for several years. But lovely theme. I haven't seen the film, actually.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2013
    Which is why I recommended the Preminger release on Kritzerland. In 27 minutes you'll hear each variation. Thor I recommend you watch the film
    Tom
  5. sdtom wrote
    Thor I recommend you watch the film
    Tom

I second that recommendation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2013
    Should be easy for him to get it.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2013
    I'm debating between two scores both by the same composer and I'm having a difficult time.
    Tom
  6. sdtom wrote
    I'm debating between two scores both by the same composer and I'm having a difficult time.
    Tom

Let me see...could it be two Miklós Rózsa scores? I do hope so! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2013
    It sure is Alan. I'm evening thinking of a tie!
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2013
    I finally decided on THE LOST WEEKEND/ROZSA with Spellbound coming as a close second. If ever there was a year for the academy to give out two Oscars this would have been the year.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2013
    sdtom wrote
    I finally decided on THE LOST WEEKEND/ROZSA with Spellbound coming as a close second. If ever there was a year for the academy to give out two Oscars this would have been the year.
    Tom

So we're at 1945 now?
    I am extremely serious.