• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2013
    Do we have any opinions I should reconsider before I choose for 1936?
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2013 edited
    On 1936?
    Well, musically I would choose for Chaplin's/Newman's Modern Times, which I think is remarkable in many ways yielding that beautiful evergreen theme and a great favourite: Smile.

Trailing a bit behind is Steiner's mammoth effort on Charge Of The Light Brigade, which is really good, but simply not as memorable as Modern Times.

Favourite film of 1936, for very personal reasons, is the deeply moving Green Pastures (the story of the old testament as seen through the eyes of a young black school child at the beginning of the twentieth century, starring Rex Ingram as De Lawd).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2013
    confused confused confused I seem to be leaning towards something else.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's your list! smile
    Just giving my own opinion.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I fully appreciate your opinion smile. I was taken aback that you failed to consider one particular score my friend.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Easy for me.

Arthur Bliss THINGS TO COME.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    You know me all too well Tim.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Vary valid choice for a fine score for an (in my opinion) slightly overrated film.
    I stand by my preferences, though. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    wink

I also like Charge of The Light Brigade and Mischa Spoliansky's The Man Who Could Work Miracles ( I must watch the film again. )

I don't know the score to Modern Times but I absolutely love the song, a true evergreen and, IMO, one of the greatest songs ever written.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Anthony Adverse?
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2013
    My selection for 1936 is THINGS TO COME. This fine score from Bliss has to be ranked highly in spite of the problems.
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2013/02/26/t … 1936bliss/

Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Somehow I'm not surprised. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Awesome, AWESOME score!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Never heard it (or seen the film, for that matter), but I see it raved about all the time. Something on my list.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2013 edited
    Eeeeehhhhhh, the film is an interesting bit of early moralist scifi film making.
    It's really not that good (even if I always enjoy Raymond Massey).
    To be brutally honest, aside from the (righfully) celebrated march, the score, while good, wasn't a revelation to me either.
    As I stated before there are a few films from 1936 I'd put over this one, both cinematographically and musically.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, as I've said before, I'll refrain from giving my own favourites in this thread (since I did all that in Alan's thread) and rather comment on Tom's picks, if I have any relation to them -- or am somehow curious.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2013
    I'm thinking about the next couple of years and I believe I've come up with some worthy choices.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2013
    I apologize for the delay but there will be a new entry this week.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2013
    LOST HORIZON DIMITRI TIOMKIN

I was introduced to this fine score by Charles Gerhardt conducting the National Philharmonic Orchestra in a 23 minute suite of material. This recording is still available on RCA #777933. The CD is a perfect introduction to the films of Dimitri Tiomkin and receives my highest recommendation. I also have in my collection the archival BYU restoration #FMA/DT 103. While having inferior quality to the RCA recording it does offer the complete score on their CD. My other two choices for the year were Prince and the Pauper and Snow White. "Someday My Prince Will Come" is a favorite song of mine; I have an excellent verve recording with Oscar Peterson and Nelson Riddle but the rest of the material doesn't measure up to Horizon. Korngold in my opinion has done superior scores to The Prince and the Pauper and will be honored in the upcoming years.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2013
    Lost Horizon became one of my all time favourites after listening to Gerhardt's suite as well. I remember borrowing that disc from the library unaware of the sonic assault that awaited me. A sublime score!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2013
    ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD/KORNGOLD (1938)

This work is so good that it can hold its own with the works of Wagner and Strauss. Multiple themes, love music, frantic action, and everything about it makes this a must have score for your collection. FYI I have the Stromberg/Morgan recording as well as some parts of the original soundtrack. I have no experience with the Utah release although I'm told it is quite good.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2013 edited
    GONE WITH THE WIND/STEINER (1939)

The list is long for 1939 and depending on your preference of musical style you could have chosen "Wuthering Heights," "Wizard of Oz," "Of Mice and Men," or "Gulliver's Travels." My opinion the main theme is so strong that it over powers all of them. There are many recordings of it but the one that I enjoy is the Charles Gerhardt/National Philharmonic recording. The man just had a way with these classic films and I'm only sorry he didn't do more.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2013
    sdtom wrote
    ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD/KORNGOLD (1938)

This work is so good that it can hold its own with the works of Wagner and Strauss. Multiple themes, love music, frantic action, and everything about it makes this a must have score for your collection. FYI I have the Stromberg/Morgan recording as well as some parts of the original soundtrack. I have no experience with the Utah release although I'm told it is quite good.
    Tom

The right choice, the ONLY choice IMO beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2013 edited
    sdtom wrote

The list is long for 1939 and depending on your preference of musical style you could have chosen "Wuthering Heights," "Wizard of Oz," "Of Mice and Men," or "Gulliver's Travels." My opinion the main theme is so strong that it over powers all of them. There are many recordings of it but the one that I enjoy is the Charles Gerhardt/National Philharmonic recording. The man just had a way with these classic films and I'm only sorry he didn't do more.
    Tom

You may think this a bit weird but I'm not really familiar with this score, beyond the theme of course, which I expect even a small portion of the public could name.
  1. Korngold's Adventures of Robin Hood is a worthy choice for 1938 and should be in everyone's film music collection as it is one of those scores that is a milestone in the history of film scoring. And the Stromberg/Morgan recording allows the significance of this score to be truly heard.

For Gone With The Wind, I think that the inclusion of all the important melodies from the period, although a wonderful signposter for the film and the time in which it is set, detracts enormously for me when it comes to hearing it as a stand-alone listen. Listening to the mammoth 2 CD version was perhaps not the best introduction to me of the music away from the film and perhaps I should take a listen to the Gerhardt selection. It does have an iconic theme though; a theme that has made the transition from the film itself and into the general populous' awareness.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2013 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Korngold's Adventures of Robin Hood is a worthy choice for 1938 and should be in everyone's film music collection as it is one of those scores that is a milestone in the history of film scoring. And the Stromberg/Morgan recording allows the significance of this score to be truly heard.

For Gone With The Wind, I think that the inclusion of all the important melodies from the period, although a wonderful signposter for the film and the time in which it is set, detracts enormously for me when it comes to hearing it as a stand-alone listen. Listening to the mammoth 2 CD version was perhaps not the best introduction to me of the music away from the film and perhaps I should take a listen to the Gerhardt selection. It does have an iconic theme though; a theme that has made the transition from the film itself and into the general populous' awareness.

A theme that the older generation recognizes and can name the movie.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2013
    sdtom wrote

Tom

Fair enough. Can't really argue....even if I *would* have picked The Wizard Of Oz.
    It's so seminal that I can't really understand why anyone ever made a musical after that.
    Why would you *want* to?
    It's done!
    Zenith reached. Top achieved.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2013
    As i said in my explanation it was one of my choices.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2013
    REBECCA/WAXMAN is my choice for 1940.

This was a year when the nominations had expanded and names of Louis Gruenberg, Frank Skinner, Richard Hageman (twice), and Warner Heyman appeared as nominees. The other contender "Our Town" by Aaron Copland has a powerful unforgettable main theme but Rebecca seemed to cover the entire gamut of emotions.
    Tom smile
  2. Nice choice Tom. Remind me - if you have mentioned it before - which of the re-recordings do you prefer? I think that I prefer the McNeely/Varese version.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn