• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2012
    It was 10 years before the release of King Kong.

sorry Tom, no I haven't.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Few people have scores from the 20s, so I don't think people can comment much in the beginning of this thread.

Peter smile
  1. I didn't have a choice for 1923 but I will see if I have anything at all from this year. There must be some film Carl Davis rescored this year! wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2012 edited
    In 1923, there was De Mille's original version of THE TEN COMMANDMENTS with a score by Hugo Riesenfeld. Never heard it, though, nor seen the movie.

Chaplin had his A WOMAN OF PARIS (including his own score) and Keaton had a few shorts, but again -- never heard them.

I'm trying to think of cornerstone movies in French impressionim, Soviet montage and German expressionism too (which were all taking place around this time), but no particular stand-out from 1923.

Tricky year!
    I am extremely serious.
  2. It would have been much easier to be a follower of film music back then perhaps?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    It would have been much easier to be a follower of film music back then perhaps?

Probably. Plenty of original scores being written in 1923 (among many films that used existing music, of course), but few that have become classics and reference points in film history.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. I don't have an experience of music from a 1923 film, original or re-scored more recently.

Reading round this time it's interesting to read of a survey of movie theatres carried out in 1922 that featured music, that the primary accompanying instrument was organ (>45%), piano (25%) and orchestra/chamber group (30%). Among the ensembles playing, 65% of these groups were small (2-5 performers), 28% were moderate in size (5-10 players) and large sizes were rare (1% had 25-50 players).

And during the 1920s, a new musical score accompanied almost every major film in America but I wonder how often audiences heard the score that was composed for the film. It's not until the late 1920s that films with synchronised music was introduced.

Russell Lack, in his book "Twenty Four Frames Under", talks a little bit about the authenticity of scores composed more recently for old films (e.g., the prolific works of Carl Davis or the James Bernard score mentioned above - though the latter is not mentioned in this book). Carl Davis offers some comments in the book about this, including how he looks at original scores (where available) and he uses what he thinks will work today.

At the moment Tom, I'm not sure what you are going to go with. There's not much music from that year available. Maybe a Charlie Chaplin score?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2012 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I don't have an experience of music from a 1923 film, original or re-scored more recently.

Reading round this time it's interesting to read of a survey of movie theatres carried out in 1922 that featured music, that the primary accompanying instrument was organ (>45%), piano (25%) and orchestra/chamber group (30%). Among the ensembles playing, 65% of these groups were small (2-5 performers), 28% were moderate in size (5-10 players) and large sizes were rare (1% had 25-50 players).

And during the 1920s, a new musical score accompanied almost every major film in America but I wonder how often audiences heard the score that was composed for the film. It's not until the late 1920s that films with synchronised music was introduced.

Well, they did hear the score when they saw the movie, of course. But obviously, it took some years before soundtrack albums became a reality. What they did have access to from an even earlier age, however, were the commercial release of score sheets for some films and film songs. For those who could read them.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    It seems like Chaplin is the direction I'm leaning toward. I already know about 1924.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  4. Could be The Pilgrim or A Woman of Paris?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote
    It seems like Chaplin is the direction I'm leaning toward. I already know about 1924.
    Tom

Chaplin had some great scores in his career, for sure, but is A WOMAN OF PARIS that good compared to the likes of CITY LIGHTS, THE KID, MODERN LIGHTS, LIMELIGHT etc.?
    I am extremely serious.
  5. I was reading that A Woman of Paris seems to be transform the film into quite the melodrama - in a negative way according to the writer.

But - and I am not trying to take anything away from Tom's topic - if I were to choose this one then I would argue that it is a favourite of the 1923 scores I have heard and not necessarily one of the greatest scores of the year.

Tom may have different criteria for selecting his choices.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Thor wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Tom

Chaplin had some great scores in his career, for sure, but is A WOMAN OF PARIS that good compared to the likes of CITY LIGHTS, THE KID, MODERN LIGHTS, LIMELIGHT etc.?

No I don't think so either
    Tom smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    It would have been much easier to be a follower of film music back then perhaps?

If I'd lived back then I'd have been following jazz and classical.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    Does any one have any opinion on 1923???
    Tom smile

Actually, we visit this thread to read your opinion. tongue

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I wish I had a copy of Lon Chaney's The Hunchback Of The Notre Dame: that would have been a VERY worthy contender! (Apparently Hugo Riesenfeld scored that one too...he seems to be a bit of the Hans Zimmer of the wtenties! wink )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2012
    I'll check into the Hunchback/Lon Chaney one, thanks Martijn.
    Thank you so much for your opinion Erik.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2012
    Martijn,
    Do you have any experience with the Hunsberger version. It is available on the release
    http://www.amazon.com/Hunchback-Notre-D … B000TEUSI6
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorDr Bashir
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2012
    I have no experience.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Welcome to the board Dr Bashir, what music do you like best? Old music or new music?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    sdtom wrote
    Martijn,
    Do you have any experience with the Hunsberger version. It is available on the release
    Tom

That's a region 1 release, which my DVD player won't accept (wonderful, those artificial differences between consumer landscapes to optimise revenue. slant )

I should really look into gettinga European release though. It's such a worthwhile film.
    And another landmark performance (if only in prosthetics and make-up!) from Chaney.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorDr Bashir
    Timmer wrote
    Welcome to the board Dr Bashir, what music do you like best? Old music or new music?

What a great question. In many ways I think film music is like making love to a beautiful woman. The older type may appear slightly rough around the edges, it may just lay there from time to time gathering energy before the next round of passion, but the experience can be so rich and rewarding. The younger type frequently offers more frequent orgasmic moments, but sometimes what seems at first glance to be great beauty can quickly be scraped away to reveal a very hollow interior.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2012 edited
    Martijn wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Martijn,
    Tom

That's a region 1 release, which my DVD player won't accept (wonderful, those artificial differences between consumer landscapes to optimise revenue. slant )

I should really look into gettinga European release though. It's such a worthwhile film.
    And another landmark performance (if only in prosthetics and make-up!) from Chaney.

What about a dvd-rom in a pc? Try dvd decrypter and dvd shrink (all free).
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Why bother? smile
    The region 2 DVD is no more or less expensive than the region 1 one.
    So there's no specific benefit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2012
    Dr Bashir wrote
    Timmer wrote

What a great question. In many ways I think film music is like making love to a beautiful woman. The older type may appear slightly rough around the edges, it may just lay there from time to time gathering energy before the next round of passion, but the experience can be so rich and rewarding. The younger type frequently offers more frequent orgasmic moments, but sometimes what seems at first glance to be great beauty can quickly be scraped away to reveal a very hollow interior.

So using your analogy give me two scores one older one newer
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2012 edited
    Dr Bashir wrote
    Timmer wrote

A wonderful answer. Tis a fact that North's SPARTACUS beats Zimmer's GLADIATOR with ease every time.

Good answer Tom? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I would say that is an excellent answer Tim
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    After much thought and the lack of available material both 1923 and 1924 at least for now are going to remain blank. The prime composer of the era, Hugo Riesenfeld, is sorely lacking in representative material. In fact I've yet to be able to listen to Heinz Roemheld who wrote a soundtrack for the movie in 1931 as a reissue. Next up is going to be 1925.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2012 edited
    Yes Tom, both music from 1923 and 1924 films is severely lacking. The only music I can find from either year that I have heard it Carl Davis' music from the 1924 The Thief of Bagdad (Silva's "The Silents" release) and that amounts to just under 4 minutes of music!

Roll on 1925 - and there are 3-4 choice titles here! And only one of which is an original (but re-recorded) score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2012 edited
    In preparation I watched Metropolis (1926) with the original soundtrack or at least I think so and Things to Come (1936), score by Arthur Bliss. The Bliss recording of the material is on Chandos.
    Tom