• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. DAYS OF THUNDER was on last night and man do I love "Last Note of Freedom." (I also didn't realize Zimmer's co-writer was Billy Idol!) I prefer Coverdale's version to Terry Reid's rejiggered version, even if Coverdale's is a bit more dated when the 80's power anthem wailing kicks in.

Others?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2012 edited
    I think there was a thread about this very topic. Ah yes, HERE it is!

No wait, scratch that. Ummm... a film music board and no favorite movie songs thread?!?!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm presumming you mean songs written specifically for a film Mike, not just existing songs inserted ala Quentin Tarantino, Guy Ritchie etc etc?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    We did have a talk about this very topic but it got buried in one of our Now Playing threads.

I'll just copy and paste what I wrote in that thread here!

Top Three Of All Time
    The Wild Rover sung by Ellen Smith from Wild Rovers
    "Surrender" by k.d. lang from Tomorrow Never Dies
    "Blaze of Glory" by Bon Jovi from Young Guns II

I also have a soft spot for Sting's "It's Probably Me" from Lethal Weapon 3, "What Would Brian Boitano Do?" from South Park: The Movie, "America" from Team America: World Police, "Danger Zone" from Top Gun and the Finding Home End Title song by Holly Conlan, "A View To A Kill" by Duran Duran and "Back In Time" by Huey Lewis and the News. Man, "Power of Love" is so good, too.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Ha, Erik - I actually did search and came up with that thread but it didn't seem to fit.

Timmer, yes indeed, although any songs appearing in movies are fair enough game.

Zimmer is particularly good at this, no doubt owing to his pop sensibilities. "I'll Be Holding On" is outstanding, as is "The Closing of the Year." I even like "Letting Go" from THE FAN.
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    We did have a talk about this very topic but it got buried in one of our Now Playing threads.

You guys will have to bear with me here if I start a topic that's already been covered. I do my very best to search for redundant topics, but reading through the various fora (ahem) it seems like they've pretty general so I may not find a topic if it's been discussed in a larger thread.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2012
    No, no, no.... I was just pointing out that we did talk about it but it was too bad it got buried in a Now Playing thread. Thank you very much for opening up the very first Favourite Movie Songs thread in the long history of MainTitles.

beer

It's shameful that we never had one before. shame

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    This is another favorite because it was my wedding song.

"I Want To Spend My Lifetime Loving You" by Tina Arena and Marc Anthony from The Mask of Zorro!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I have so many favourites, many of them very well known by most people such as Louis Armstrong's WE HAVE ALL THE TIME IN THE WORLD ( more than just a favourite film song to me ), MOON RIVER, BORN FREE, YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE, The Windmills of Your Mind from THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR and so many many more.

I'm going to focus on songs I really like that are maybe a tad more obscure to the general public, here's a fine example from the Eddie Murphy film THE GOLDEN CHILD...

THE BEST MAN IN THE WORLD

Music by JOHN BARRY. Sung by Ann Wilson of rock band HEART.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Barry and Mancini could certainly own this category. I've become totally enamored recently with Barry's song-score for ALICE'S ADVENTURES IN WONDERLAND.

Nice pick from ZORRO, Erik. One of my favorite Horner melodies. Of his slightly more obscure songs, "Please Wake Up" from ONCE UPON A FOREST is quite lovely, as is "DREAMS TO DREAM" from FIEVEL GOES WEST.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Of Horner's songs my favourite is Wind Song from MIGHTY JOE YOUNG.
  5. I wish Horner used that "Dreams to Dream" theme more often in the scores for the two films. IIRC, it barely popped up in the first one and not much more often in the second.
  6. Mike Skerritt wrote
    Ha, Erik - I actually did search and came up with that thread but it didn't seem to fit.

Timmer, yes indeed, although any songs appearing in movies are fair enough game.

Zimmer is particularly good at this, no doubt owing to his pop sensibilities. "I'll Be Holding On" is outstanding, as is "The Closing of the Year." I even like "Letting Go" from THE FAN.

He doesn't write enough songs, really, but yeah. My favourites are I'll Be Holding On (I prefer the film version, thank you Lala!) and Letting Go, which is plain beauty.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  7. Since I just saw the trailer for the cinematic re-release of Corbucci's "Django" over at AICN, I must say, that Luis Bacalovs famous themes song is definitely among my favourites.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2012
    There are so many, I wouldn't know where to start.

But one I've always liked is "Windmills of your Mind" from THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR. I recommended this to Johan Söderqvist when we had a beer together (Michel Legrand is one of his favourite composers), and he liked it. smile
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Ooh, a list! Looking through my favourites I picked out these songs from film and television:

The Trail of the Lonesome Pine (Way Out West)
    Honolulu Baby (Sons of the Desert)
    Pecos Pest (Tom and Jerry)
    From Russia With Love (From Russia With Love)
    Goldfinger (Goldfinger)
    A Gun For Gringo (A Gun For Ringo)
    Thunderball (Thunderball)
    Born Free (Born Free)
    The Return of Ringo (The Return of Ringo)
    You Only Live Twice (You Only Live Twice)
    The Bare Necessities (Jungle Book)
    I Wanna Be Like You (Jungle Book)
    That's What Friends Are For (Jungle Book)
    My Own Home (Jungle Book)
    Hushabye Mountain (Chitty Chitty Bang Bang)
    We Have All The Time In The World (On Her Majesty's Secret Service)
    Quiero La Noche (Bananas)
    Diamonds Are Forever (Diamonds Are Forever)
    Pure Imagination (Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory)
    The Morning After (The Poseidon Adventure)
    Cleopatra Jones (Cleopatra Jones)
    Theme Song (Doc Savage: The Man of Bronze) (about 1:55 into video)
    Hombres del Mar (Il Corsaro Nero)
    A Piece of Sky (Yentl)
    Que Sople el Viento (Hidalgo - La Historia Jamás Contada)
    Despicable Me (Despicable Me)
    Would Anybody Die For Me? (Men Who Hate Women)
    No Good About Goodbye (Quantum of Solace)
    The Bad Guy (The Legend Trip)
    The Virgin Queen (The Virgin Queen)
    The Work of the Lord (The Virgin Queen)
    Miseria Nomine (The Virgin Queen)
    Essex (The Virgin Queen)
    Remember Me (The Virgin Queen)
    Hide & Seek (Hide and Seek)
    Les Choristes (The Chorus)
    Caresse Sur L'océan (The Chorus)
    Beauty Song (Jia Ren Qu) (House of Flying Daggers)
    The Great Western Road (Young Adam)
    Into The West (The Return of the King)
    The Touch (The Touch)
    The Mystic's Dream (The Mists of Avalon)
    When She Loved Me (Toy Story 2)
    The World Is Not Enough (The World Is Not Enough)
    Streets of Philadelphia (Philadelphia)

I am hoping that all these were written specifically for their respective movies!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ Some one had too much time on their hands... wink

-Erik-
  9. Erik Woods wrote
    ^ Some one had too much time on their hands... wink

-Erik-

Yes I did. And I loved it!!

I was surprised that I managed to find everything I was looking for (mostly). And no doubt I have missed some.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

But one I've always liked is "Windmills of your Mind" from THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR. I recommended this to Johan Söderqvist when we had a beer together (Michel Legrand is one of his favourite composers), and he liked it. smile

Had he never heard it before?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

Had he never heard it before?

I don't think so. Weird.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Thanks for putting these links together Alan!

Had a listen to the ones I didn't knew, and I love the one from Hidalgo, the ones from Virgin Queen (pity of the quality!) and the one frpm Mists of Avalon.

I didn't like Honolulu Baby at all! shocked
    Kazoo
  10. Maybe it's a Laurel and Hardy thing?
  11. FalkirkBairn wrote

On that same note (oh see what I did there), "Gollum's Song" is one of my two or three favorite pieces from the entire LOTR saga. It's such a haunting tune, and given such an otherworldly sound by Emiliana Torrini.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Mike Skerritt wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

On that same note (oh see what I did there), "Gollum's Song" is one of my two or three favorite pieces from the entire LOTR saga. It's such a haunting tune, and given such an otherworldly sound by Emiliana Torrini.

I agree with you Mike, I think it's superb. I remember it divided a lot of people on the boards on it's time of release.
  12. "Gollum's Song" is a very good song, but it's so distinctive that it's not a particular favourite (if that makes sense?) There are a number of songs (maybe better described as score where voices play a more prominent part) that I thought to include in my list but decided that they were not really self-contained songs as such.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    One of my favourite Bond songs isn't even a title track and even plays as source music on the villains walkman as he throws exploding milk bottles. This is a corking track written by John Barry and Chrissie Hynde of The Pretenders, apparantly Barry & Hynde got on very well unlike Barry's well publicised spat with title singers of THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS a~ha

WHERE HAS EVERYBODY GONE
  13. FalkirkBairn wrote
    There are a number of songs (maybe better described as score where voices play a more prominent part) that I thought to include in my list but decided that they were not really self-contained songs as such.

I have to confess I had the same thought before posting, but in the end I decided it was worth it because it's a song that makes use of material from the score (which IMHO is criminally underused in the films). But I'll admit it's not really the same thing as, say, Zimmer writing a pop tune for the end credits based on a theme he'd already written.
  14. Timmer wrote
    One of my favourite Bond songs isn't even a title track and even plays as source music on the villains walkman as he throws exploding milk bottles. This is a corking track written by John Barry and Chrissie Hynde of The Pretenders, apparantly Barry & Hynde got on very well unlike Barry's well publicised spat with title singers of THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS a~ha

WHERE HAS EVERYBODY GONE

I've been listening to the expanded Barry album a lot recently. Do you know if it's true what Clemmensen of Filmtracks stated? He said that Barry was actually trying to get this song into the title sequence instead of the a-ha thing. Is that true?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  15. I've never heard that story specifically but I have read many times that the collaborative process between Barry and a-Ha was strained, to say the very least. Perhaps it started with his insistence on using the other song.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2012
    Mike Skerritt wrote
    I've never heard that story specifically but I have read many times that the collaborative process between Barry and a-Ha was strained, to say the very least. Perhaps it started with his insistence on using the other song.

It was a very strained working relationship. I doubt we'll ever know the real facts behind it.